Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain trailer.

ChoochChooch K-Pop authority™, Pho KingMadison Heights, MI Icrontian
Here is the trailer for Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain from GDC.

Enjoy.

UPSLynxShadowdare

Comments

• ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    But I still haven't finished MGSIV! What is a vegetable to do?
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    I dunno, finish the game that came out 4 years ago?
    MAGIC
  • IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    In Metal Gear Solid V you get to play as Solid Trouser Snake.
    UPSLynx
    Canti said:

I dunno, finish the game that came out 4 years ago?

But I JUST got a PS3 this past Christmas. I'm doing my best to catch up. :(
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    I've never had a PS3. Go to a friend's house and power through it like a true patriot.
    Canti said:

I've never had a PS3. Go to a friend's house and power through it like a true patriot.

Pfftch... think about who you're talking to here. Do you really think I have friends?
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    I couldn't be more excited. MGS3 was SO good, and this is the story I've been wanting them to tell for a long time. Also, too bad they used a song by Garbage in that trailer. It could have been amazing otherwise.
    NANOMACHINES
    UPSLynx said:

Also, too bad they used a song by Garbage in that trailer. It could have been amazing otherwise.

You clearly said you were into it until you realized it was Garbage. Now you're just a bullshit.

primesuspect
  • IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    I distinctly remember you saying the music was awesome until Canti pointed out Garbage had made it.
    Cantiprimesuspect
    edited March 2013
    Ok so for real, Metal Gear Solid in 2013 is a series that is going to be extremely hard for people who aren't already fans to get into due to it's long, very complicated, and often ridiculous storyline. But the more I think about this, the more I can't fucking wait especially after realizing this can only make sense if it takes place sometime between MGS3 and MGS1 (1964-2005). Also because (in my opinion) the story was officially over after MGS4 and continuing the story after that is both unnecessary and silly as proven by Metal Gear Rising. But MGS3 is considered by many to be the best in the series and having an official game in the series to tell more of Big Boss's story beyond MGS3 and explaining more about the events leading up to Shadow Moses is super exciting.

METAL GEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR
  • RahnalH102RahnalH102 the Green Devout, Veteran Monster Hunter, Creature Enthusiast New Mexico Icrontian
    It's either 1983 - 84. This gleaned form an easter egg noticed in the trailer.
    Metal.... GEAR?!?!!
    UPSLynx
    Canti said:

Also because (in my opinion) the story was officially over after MGS4 and continuing the story after that is both unnecessary and silly as proven by Metal Gear Rising.

CantiMAGIC
    edited June 2013

Ocelot's back, Master Miller confirmed, Otacon's dad!, Eli = young Liquid Snake

MOTHER FUCKING SKULLFACE!

Dis gon be great.
    ShadowdareChoochUPSLynx
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    This game looks awesome!!
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    I played MGS4 because, well, everybody and their dog.gif said we should, and I enjoyed it, but I had not a single fucking idea what in the sam hell was going on. I know people in IRC were saying it's basically impossible to explain the full storyline, but I'm not buying it. One of you dicks needs to challenge-accepted this shit and get me a concise, entertaining summary of what's going on. In fact, forget concision.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    Canti said:

Ocelot's back, Master Miller confirmed, Otacon's dad!, Eli = young Liquid Snake

Half-life 3 confirmed :D
    Snarkasm said:

I played MGS4 because, well, everybody and their dog.gif said we should, and I enjoyed it, but I had not a single fucking idea what in the sam hell was going on. I know people in IRC were saying it's basically impossible to explain the full storyline, but I'm not buying it. One of you dicks needs to challenge-accepted this shit and get me a concise, entertaining summary of what's going on. In fact, forget concision.

Or you could play the games. Lynx and I could probably do it but giving you a summary of the story would not be a good way to experience Metal Gear Solid and would leave out a huge amount of what makes the games so good.

ardichoke
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    If this existed for the 360, I'd be all over it. I haven't owned a playstayion since the original so I've missed out on a lot of Metal Gear.
    Yeah, the story is LONG, spans so many games, and has so many tie-ins and twists, it'd be impossible to write a recap without filling a few pages full of details.

This is actually a pretty decent short recap of all of the story the leads up to the first Metal Gear Solid game (and this covers MGS3, as it was a prequel)

Helps you to understand quite a bit for MGS4, but there's still TONS of stuff from MGS2 that you need to know.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    I didn't know they all came on one convenient disc for PS3.... now I'm intrigued.

Let's say I purchased Ardi's link up there. Which exact games of that should I be playing? And is there a preferred Machete-style order like the Star Wars stuff, or should it just go MG, MG2, MGS2, MGS3, etc?
  • ShadowdareShadowdare Member
    edited June 2013
    I would play in the order that the games were released, so you get understand the story the way Kojima intended it.
    Canti
    edited June 2013
    Canti said:

I wouldn't bother with Metal Gear, Metal Gear 2, or VR missious unless you're really curious after playing the others. You should just focus on Metal Gear Solid 1,2,3,Peace Walker,4 in that order.

This. That's exactly how you should do it. If you want to dig deeper, then hit Metal Gear 1 and 2. But they're extremely hard to play nowdays, and the story of Metal Gear Solid mostly assumes the player did not go through those original games, and it fills all of the gaps you may have missed.

Also, I'm really glad you rank them in release order. I've seen lists where people fit the games together chronologically, but honestly the story works better as listed in Canti's post. There are some HUGE story reveals and such that lose impact when you've done the prequels earlier.
    Choochardichoke
    edited June 2013
    dat intro HNNNGGGGGG

I'll never forget the feeling of seeing that for the first time ever. The graphics and presentation BLEW MY MIND.