The Tastes of Detroit Food Tour 2013

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian

Comments

• QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    awesome mix!!!
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    Oh man, I'm so happy everyone will get to experience green dot. It's the best. Supinos is pretty great too!
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    I'm preparing my diet breaking plans.
  • LincLincoln Owner Detroit Icrontian
    It's also our most affordable food tour by far, I think. I'm super excited.
  • WagsFTWWagsFTW Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    Great options! Bummed I'll be missing the Food Truck - those sausages sound fantastic!
  • RyanMMRyan Meray Ferndale, MI Icrontian
    Supinos is LEGIT. That's all I'm gonna say.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    WagsFTW said:

those sausages sound fantastic!

#TWSS
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    Green Dot's sliders were awesome.
    Grindhouse food truck's Langos was amazing.

And it's catered, and cheap? So far this food tour is amazing and win. <3 to all involved in planning. Looking forward to Supino's Pizza tomorrow.
    RyanFodder
  • RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian
    Second the food being catered being awesome. More time to do stuff? WIN.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    Well played, pizza.
    UPSLynxRyanMM
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    Pizza was pretty good, indeed.
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    Seriously, I think this year was hands down my favorite group of food tour places. I think Green Dot is tastier when served in-house, but catering was much easier. Excellent job, Mr. Primesuspect.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    If you'd like to review these venues on Yelp, there is a badge for that ;)

Green Dot Stables

The Grindhouse Food Truck

Supino Pizzeria.

I hope everyone enjoyed it :)
    GnomeQueenTeramona
    All three reviewed.

For those that want to review a few of the other places...

Detroit 1 Coney Island
    St Cece's Pub
    Honest John's
    GnomeQueenCBTeramonaBobbyDigi
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    QCH said:

All three reviewed.

For those that want to review a few of the other places...

Detroit 1 Coney Island
    St Cece's Pub
    Honest John's

My first trip to ICHQD where I didn't end up at Honest John's :/
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    I've never left a thoroughly negative review for a restaurant before St. Cece's. That [place was truly terrible in every category.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    I had very good food at St. Cece's, but there were a variety of other issues that would limit my imaginary review to three stars. Unreasonably slow service (even with respect to our party size), disgustingly watery pop, the worst bloody mary I've ever had, an order of wheat bread served as rye, and an order that never came for me.

Really it comes down to awful service. But, man, the food I had was delicious.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2013
    Just to be clear: I did not recommend St. Cece's. The last time I was there I had a similarly bad experience. My curated list of recommendations for brunch were:

Le Petit Zinc
    Woodbridge Pub (which was closed for an event)
    The Hudson Cafe

I ended up going to Le Petit Zinc with @Guppy, @Lershee, @J, @Nemikan, and @TroubleBaker. We had a totally awesome brunch. We sat outdoors on a patio in a garden with a fountain providing lovely background noise and had fantastic crepes, quiche, and breakfast sandwiches.
    WagsFTW
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    Raw pancakes and over 2 hours for brunch (nearly making me late for my flight and not allowing for adequate good byes) make me echo the poor thoughts about St. Ceces. The only positive was that I got to ride by the site of Tiger Stadium which was on my list of things to do in the D.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited July 2013
    I reviewed Supino since that is the only food tour stop I visited. I intend to review St. Cece's as well but I'm formulating exactly how to describe the experience. I don't think it is possible to say it better than Joe has.

@primesuspect we strayed from your curated list because, although we wanted to try Le Petit Zinc, Lincoln said it could not accommodate all 22 of us. St. Cece's was a decision based upon capacity, and presumably the bottomless mimosas.
    GnomeQueen
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited July 2013
    Le Petit Zinc can barely handle 12 people in the entire restaurant let alone that many just in our party, and I didn't want to take everyone downtown into a mess of parking at Hudson's (and I've never been there so I couldn't comment on capacity). That said, I'm not sure how we decided on Cece's. I guess I was being overly optimistic that they'd gotten their shit together by now like Green Dot has.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    Oh hell, we forgot Foran's. We should totally book that for Sunday brunch next year. Everyone could fit for sure and it is GREAT food.
    This was my review of St. Cece's...

To be fair... my party of 22 arrived 5 minutes after opening for Sunday brunch so this review is more about service and less about food. My order of huevos rancheros was $8 but it was presented well and was really good. I was not sure about the cream cheese.

The real issue was how the staff handled the orders and the 2 hour meal. It took way too long before the manager came by to let us know things were not working well in the kitchen.

Overall the party thought the prices were too steep and the food quality was sub par.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    Oh man, I haven't been to Foran's in a couple years. Do want to go back during ICOK