FireFall - Free to play Shooter MMO

RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian
A group of us downloaded and started the open beta yesterday. So far, I think of this game as a combination between Borderlands and Planetside. The game is heavily focused on crafting upgrades / weapons etc and exploring. The crafting portion of the game was particularly interesting to me - there were a lot of options and paths to get something new, and the mechanism was rather unique to do it.

The PvE portion of the game was really fun, it held our squad together fairly well. Despite differences in game time, we could all do any objective we chose.

The PvP portion of the game is an "eSports" game that reminded me of bombing runs from UT2k4 based on videos on the site.

Check it out here: http://www.firefallthegame.com/about

Comments

• d3k0yd3k0y Loveland, OH Icrontian
    Are there still only 2 classes?
  • JBoogalooJBoogaloo This too shall pass... Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    Saw this at PAX last year and never got a chance to get in on playing it, bummed. Now, I'll have to check this out this week when I get some time :). Thanks!
  • RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian
    There are 5 battle frames that your character can freely switch between and level up independently. In addition, there are several upgraded battleframes available for eventual unlock.
    JBoogaloo
  • jimmehsaddictinggames.blogspot.com stikes again! God why were we up to 1:30 playing this?
    AnnesUPSLynx
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    I'll try it out. Downloading.
  • BIG NOTE: This game is just recently in Open BETA. As in, yesterday recently. There are several bugs and a decent amount of latency issues when trying to do various things (generally related to skills/unlocks and crafting) as your client tries communicating with their overloaded servers. Even with these issues we managed to get around and have a good time.
    JBoogalooRyanFodder
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    You guys and your crafting. :p

Where's the TF2/DefenseGrid hybrid MMO? :D
  • pragtasticpragtastic Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    Lincoln said:

You guys and your crafting. :p

Where's the TF2/DefenseGrid hybrid MMO? :D

Sanctum?

RyanFodderTushonUPSLynx
    QED
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    I'm intrigued. I'll check this out.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    I think I was in the alpha for this, was unimpressed at the time and uninstalled after about 10-15 hours of play. I'll throw it down on download and see if it's more intriguing now.
  • RahnalH102RahnalH102 the Green Devout, Veteran Monster Hunter, Creature Enthusiast New Mexico Icrontian
    Saw that it went Open, but wasn't sure who all was interested ... and was too lazy/wimpy/distracted to ask.
  • ickybodclayickybodclay Madison Heights, MI Member
    I've been playing this! Character name is ChefLord (thanks random name generator), add me!
    Started downloading it. I registered for the beta like 2 years ago and I got accepted into quite a few of them, but every time I looked at a video of it they only had two frames and it neither of them sounded very interesting to me.
  • RexxarRexxar Maryland Icrontian
    I was hoping to find any game to sink my time into because I had no other stuff to play. This game accomplished even more than that. Toss the glitches and bugs aside this game has a lot of potential. I only ask that you give it a day or two to sink in before judging.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    My only concern with this game is that it has very limited replayability. After you do a few encounters, you've seen everything the game offers... they just get stronger as you improve your character.

Side note: No levels.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    I'll try it out.
    On the site, they mentioned that there would be more "user generated missions." Where right now there its only the Thumper missions, maybe there will be more post release....
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    I played with @CannonFodder, @Thrax, @Rexxar, and @tiberiuslazarus last night for a few hours. I've got a nasty connection bug that makes it EXTREMELY difficult to log in and load areas, and according to Jimmeh it's a west-coast related server bug. But outside of that, when I was actually playing I had a lot of fun. Glider races across the map, exploring AVATAR rock (the environments in this game are gorgeous and interesting), debating what to call the jell-o block, running into random fights and jumping in to help out. It's a lot of fun with the right people. I also love that the first person view feels really, really good, rather than just tacked on.

I do agree on the point of lack of replayability. I love the crafting/research and development stuff to personalize your character, but after roughly 4 hours of play time yesterday I feel like I've already seen most of the mission sturcture. Thump this spot and defend, go into cave/warehouse and fight off a ton of dudes and grab the objective, fight a tornado (which effing RULES). Despite knowing that, I still managed to have fun with the IC group.

Also the game doesn't feel hard enough, and I'm not sure if that's because of the missions we're doing, or if it's because of the lack of leveling up. I started yesterday brand new, and I felt like I was holding my own and just as effective in fights as everyone else even though everyone basically had a 24 hour head start on me, with much better upgrades abilities and such. In fact for the longest time I was just using the stock primary weapon and the basic secondary with no special abilities at all and was still doing good.

But I'm being harsh on a game that's been in open beta for two days. I like what it's doing and I'm going to keep digging into it. We have resources to thump.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    Anyone got any resources (vids) for beginners?
    Check the tutorial videos on the site, they are pretty helpful.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    hahaha yes! Great clip. I love out 3 of us just dove straight into that fight. Talking all that smack while we were flying about who was gonna go the furthest when OH CRAP A FIGHT HOLD ON.

Does your twitch stream not output Mumble? How do you do that?

Also I love that we now have Twitch to record our gaming moments rather than filling up my HDD with fraps.
    Virtual Audio Cable.

Good clip, nice that twitch does save the replays :D

That was a good glide, best fixed glide i've seen in the game so far.
  • NemikanNemikan Icrontian
    http://icrontic.com/discussion/92416/firefall#latest

I've been watching and interested in this game for quite a while now. Last I looked it didn't have the crosshairs implemented.... but I'm guessing now it has improved a lot (it was about a year ago).

High level this game seems amazing. A free to play Borderlands MMO??? who wouldn't play this? ^^
  • So, this is apparently a thing: http://www.curse.com/ff-addons/firefall
    edited July 2013
    I put in about 2 hours, not sure if I care for it. It seems like an actual money sink, not a virtual money sink.