AMD Unleashes First-Ever 5 GHz Processor

2»

Comments

• ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    shwaip said:

Tim said:

Intel CPUs are hitting 4 Ghz on 125 to 140 watts. And this AMD chip needs 220 to get up to 5.0?

Sounds inefficient to me. It will probably need a special motherboard design just to feed it 220 watts. And run hot.

so now, heat, power, and efficiency are important to you?
    It's tim, there is no reason or logic. Only madness and IE6. He's our own, personal, Cthulu.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    We have a few Computational Fluid Design engineers here that need raw CPU speed and memory speed above all else. The number of cores is actually NOT wanted since the CFD application license is bound to the number of cores/CPUs. 5GHz on two cores is exactly what they want. Next is to find out what the recommended memory speed and max speed is...
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    @Thrax what is the deal with the sale venues for this chip? People are saying that it is mainly going to system builders and eventually a retail launch of the chip will happen but at a projected high price point.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    I don't work in the CPU biz. I don't know their go-to-market strategy.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    It's true. Right now only system integrators have access to the CPUs. There hasn't been any indication one way or another that this will change. I'm guessing it won't and we'll just have to wait for the next CPU generation.
  • ButtersButters CA Icrontian
    Its available at Newegg. I was planning to get it regardless of performance, but I don't think I can hang at $900.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    That price makes no sense. At. All. Looks like the 'egg is trying to make a fast buck off of scarcity.
  • RootWyrmRootWyrm Icrontian
    mertesn said:

That price makes no sense. At. All. Looks like the 'egg is trying to make a fast buck off of scarcity.

Yeah, typical Newegg shenanigans. They're worse than the Ukranian/Russian fly-by-night shops at computer shows.
  • ButtersButters CA Icrontian
    It lists the price, but its actually only available as part of a combo.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    It's $800+
    It's 220 TDP
    It runs hot.
    It's slower than an i7 4770k @$280

what else do you want to know?

http://www.kitguru.net/components/cpu/zardon/amd-fx9590-5ghz-review-w-gigabyte-990fxa-ud5/26/
  • Reminds me of the 500mhz Alpha chip.