Keto diet and grey hair

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited March 2012 in Fitness
Okay, so I'm not that old (34), but in the last couple of years I've been getting more and more grey hair. It was to the point where my kids were making fun of me, Nicole would point and laugh, and Lincoln made "old" jokes.

I started keto in September. I'm down 51 lbs now, and have settled into a low-carb lifestyle. I don't even consider it a diet anymore.

Last night, I was looking in the mirror and I realized something: I don't have many grey hairs anymore. Like, almost none. I thought maybe I was just going a bit crazy. I called Nicole over and when I asked, she noticed it too. It's significantly less than it was.

Today I mentioned it to Lincoln. He would not lie, as he derives great joy from making fun of my impending old age. He also noticed.

Okay, so I'm not sure what to take from this: I have significantly fewer grey hairs; to the point where my hair is almost all dark brown again. My diet has changed drastically in the last six months. It could be a number of things. Besides going totally low carb, I also have entirely eliminated HFCS from my diet, I take in far, far less sugar (none, on most days), I use far fewer packaged products (most of the food I eat now, I cook myself). It could be a number of factors.

Thoughts?

Comments

• pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast Icrontian
    I think you have the right idea; your body is responding to a healthier lifestyle in unexpected ways.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2012
    Hair is a proteinaceous compound called keratin. Protein is essential to healthy hair, skin and nails. Keto is protein.

Also, high-carb diets have been shown to inhibit the production of catalase, which moderates hydrogen peroxide in the body. Hydrogen peroxide can bleach your hair from the inside out. Switching to a low-carb diet like keto, therefore, can potentially restore nominal catalase levels and return hair to its proper coloration (less the march of genetics).
    kimono54
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    My wife will be excited to see this news. I haven't really looked at myself with that particular eye, but a coworker noted that I look significantly younger since the beginning of the year when I started.
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited March 2012
    Hair is a proteinaceous compound called keratin. Protein is essential to healthy hair, skin and nails. Keto is protein.

Also, high-carb diets have been shown to inhibit the production of catalase, which moderates hydrogen peroxide in the body. Hydrogen peroxide can bleach your hair from the inside out. Switching to a low-carb diet like keto, therefore, can potentially restore nominal catalase levels and return hair to its proper coloration (less the march of genetics).
    8 minutes later we have a possible logical connection /thread

Edit: I don't want anyone to take this as a jackass remark. I am always amazed at Thrax's knowledge in these areas, this time heightened with the speed of a cheetah. I don't doubt that 100% of what he typed here is 100% accurate and came straight off the dome and not from a Wiki entry.

-Digi
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    If it has to do with fitness in any way shape or form, Thraxpedia will have an answer quickly.
  • I noticed in this video. @Primesuspect you look younger than you did a few years ago, and I don't think it's simply weight loss (although that is apparent). Your skin looks better, smoother, clearer, and your hair actually looks healthier too. I need more protein.
  • JBoogalooJBoogaloo This too shall pass... Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    Simply put, healthier insides lead to healthier looking/feeling insides AND outsides.
  • SignalSignal Icrontian
    So is everyone just going to ignore the possibility of Just for Men elves sneaking onto Prime's head during his slumber?
    JBoogalooCliff_ForsterChoochkimono54
  • ketoketo Occupied. Or is it preoccupied? Icrontian
    I approve of this thread.