Some theme changes to Icrontic

LincLinc OwnerDetroit Icrontian
edited July 2013 in Community
I had a good ol' theme revision night at ICHQ.
  • Nuked half the categories
  • Added category navigation to sidebar
  • Removed lots of stuff from the sidebar
  • Moved "Mark All Viewes" to a sidebar button
  • Spaced out pagination for easier tablet poking
  • Closed weird gap above/below page title
  • Ooooo rounded avatars on the discussions list
  • Comment count & "NEW" now in a separate column
  • Number of discussions added to Categories page
  • Cleaned up sidebar navigation to be more coherent
  • Fixed some styling glitches to the sidebar on the front page
  • Did not break site in the process
"Brew & Spirits" became "Food & Drink". Otherwise, all I did was prune the list and make the top-level categories all usable.
IlriyasChoochmertesnJBoogaloooni_delsGnomeQueenCantiGuppyTeramonaBobbyDigiCyrixInsteadLeahVoice

Comments

• SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    NEW CHANGE. CHANGE BAD. ME LIKE ANYWAY.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    Icrontitopia?
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    dark theme?
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited July 2013
    @CB No, I didn't break the dark theme either. :hrm:
    mertesn said:

Icrontitopia?

New silliness vector.
  • JokkeJokke Bergen, Norway Icrontian
    Lincoln said:

Except the "mark all viewed" button really stands out in the dark theme. But, hey, I'm not complaining, as long as the site is up.

• oni_delsoni_dels Drunk French Canadian Montréal, Québec. Icrontian

• BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    Lincoln said:

Did not break site in the process.

Best part of your change list. ;D

Though, while I appreciate the bold new look it gives, I kind of wish the total number of comments were always visible instead of being hidden by "ALL NEW" or the number of new comments (until you click on one). It was nice to see at a glance to what threads were heavily active.
    oni_delsUPSLynxSignal
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    I like it. Looks Rad :)
  • JBoogalooJBoogaloo This too shall pass... Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    I dig it, dude. :)
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    edited July 2013

(I'm sure it's all fine, although the new comments changes are currently DRIVING ME BATTY)
    oni_delsUPSLynx
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    I like it!
    WAIT WHERE IS THE MONTHLY LEADERBOARD
    RyanFodderUPSLynxTeramona
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    I mean I don't see a lot of those changes, and I was assuming it was because they had not been applied to dark theme. I've even tried clearing my cache. :)
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    Most of these are pretty cool. The massive comment number indicator things on the right look really really gross.
    BuddyJ

http://icrontic.com/badges
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    midga said:

Most of these are pretty cool. The massive comment number indicator things on the right look really really gross.

this x100
  • PacifistoPacifisto Turnip Extraordinaire Michigan Icrontian
    I usually run down the list of new comments and click on what's new that I'm interested in, but when my eyes are on the left reading the titles it's hard to tell which have new stuff because it's on the right.
    midgaBandrik
  • Pacifisto said:

I usually run down the list of new comments and click on what's new that I'm interested in, but when my eyes are on the left reading the titles it's hard to tell which have new stuff because it's on the right.

I handled that with a custom style: http://i.imgur.com/UKSOiS2.png . Discussions with new posts have a darker background in the listing.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    Do you guys have any suggestions on how to improve things rather than just stating your disdain? Sketches and mockups are even more helpful.

Believe it or not, the usability and ux of Icrontic are things that I think about all the time, though the fact that I am nearly powerless to do anything about it is a source of embarrassment to me. I know a lot of people aren't happy with Vanilla but I think that it is entirely for ux reasons. If you guys could have a perfect Icrontic, how would that look? How would it act?
    Bandrik
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian

Pacifisto said:

I handled that with a custom style: http://i.imgur.com/UKSOiS2.png . Discussions with new posts have a darker background in the listing.
    I fully endorse Jimmah's hacks, and use it
  • oni_delsoni_dels Drunk French Canadian Montréal, Québec. Icrontian
    mertesn said:

wow, i'm 36th on that list. in like 18months, not too shabby
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    I look at the new interface/theme/style and think to myself, could we have the theme dependent on browser width? I know this is to a degree DONE now, but moreso might be nice if it could be done more.

Also, the big buttons do not tell how popular the thread is by total posts AND new posts, both could be shown. I use a combo of both to decide if I want to read the thread right away.

Suggestions, only.
    Bandrik

Do you guys have any suggestions on how to improve things rather than just stating your disdain? Sketches and mockups are even more helpful.

Believe it or not, the usability and ux of Icrontic are things that I think about all the time, though the fact that I am nearly powerless to do anything about it is a source of embarrassment to me. I know a lot of people aren't happy with Vanilla but I think that it is entirely for ux reasons. If you guys could have a perfect Icrontic, how would that look? How would it act?

The right side count boxes are quickly growing on me. Perhaps a combination of the two styles would be good - keep the threads without new comments the same, while threads with new comments could have the blue background plus a new comments count. Like this, except without the bad MSPaint work:

Bandrik
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    edited July 2013
    Looks pretty good to me so far.
    Lincoln said:

Dark theme has been busted for me for a long time. My ability to select it disappeared after I changed the email in my profile about a year ago. I'm guessing by now my subscription/sponsor thing has expired and dark theme is gone with it. How and where do I throw money at you for this?
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    I like it, fuck the haters.
    JBoogaloo
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    edited July 2013
    Here's my suggestion. It's very similar to @mertesn's. Main difference is that I stacked them vertically to better allow for long numbers, like "12380 total" (you may need to have it shrink the font for these cases).

Bottom line is that I love the new look, but I strongly wish to always see how many total comments there are. This accomplishes it while still looking snazzy. :D

Cantioni_delscola
    mertesn said:

That's overall! Where's monthly?
    Teramona
    edited July 2013

That's actually just a longstanding oversight on my part. The default theme already does that.
    edited July 2013
    Bandrik said:

Here's my suggestion. [...] I strongly wish to always see how many total comments there are. This accomplishes it while still looking snazzy. :D

I think I erred in using "ALL NEW" on never-read rather than / without listing the number of comments. However, I don't think listing a total next to "X new" is actually useful. You've already been in the discussion, so you know whether or not you're going back if there's a "new" number. More numbers is just more numbers at that point.

I've been using a similar style on another site for close to a year, and I discovered it actually doesn't matter at all if you can't see the total comments next to "X new" on discussions you've already looked at and I never think about that anymore. It's the completionist in you revolting at losing data. I was the same way when the theme changed, but I don't think you'll actually notice in a week or two when you're desensitized to it (my potential necessary revision above not withstanding).