New lappys for the missus and I

Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy KnobPflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
Last week I got my wife and I new Ultrabooks and dont have many complaints save one. She picked a Lenovo Yoga 11 with i5, 128ssd etc. I got an Asus Zenbook Prime with i7, 256ssd, 8gb ram and 1080p. Both of course have Windows 8. She loves hers and fjor the most part has taken to 8 lik a duck to water. I on the other hand can't find much enjoyment in my new hardware. So, do I try to make friends or just put 7 pro on it and hooe it works out? I really don't care about touch screen as it just makes the screen dirty.

Comments

• GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    I have the Yoga 13, and I mostly ignore the Windows 8-ness. The only thing that really bugs me is that I accidentally trigger side swipes on the trackpad all the time (about to disable them). I don't navigate the "Metro" UI at all because it's useless. I just start typing and treat it like the Start menu.

My recommendation is to give it a little longer to see if Windows 8 gets out of your way, to save yourself the hassle of a reformat and tracking down Windows 7 drivers. Plus, Windows 8.1 may resolve some of the things that bug us, if you can make it a couple more months.
  • Having set up a Windows 8 laptop (non-touchscreen) for my sister... who is completely unable to deal with change, or technology as a whole, I'd recommend just installing Classic Shell and using it to bypass Metro to start. If you can't get by with it that way, then look into putting 7 on it.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    I would wait a couple more months for Windows 8.1 to see if it shakes out for you.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    Thanks guys, I shall give it more time and give more (or in this case less) effort. My wife keeps saying to draw inspiration from the names of these machines and relax and just go with it. @ardichoke, thanks for the link for classic shell.
    Gargprimesuspect
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    Update:
    After installing classic shell, disabling the charms menu then getting the 8.1 update I have all but given up on 8. Two weeks ago I got serious and rather than do a clean install of 7 Pro or dual boot I installed 7 in VMware. I cannot beleive how much faster this machine now feels with 7 on it! And I now have the best of both worlds with 7 for productivity and 8 for just playing. This is also giving me more time to get used to 8.