Time for an Upgrade; GPU

QuadWhoreQuadWhore Toledo, Ohio, U.S. Icrontian
So last week my trusty xfx 9600 gso fried itself, leaving my second one to run alone. Together they did the job but alone I'm having trouble. They were outdated, so I've decided on an upgrade.

I'm looking for some great cards between $80-140. So far I've got my eye on the gtx 650. I've got a 650 watt psu.

Thanks guys ;)

Comments

• Are you looking to buy a single card or are you planning to get 2 and SLI them again? I ask because I assume it would affect peoples power consumption analysis
  • QuadWhoreQuadWhore Toledo, Ohio, U.S. Icrontian
    I was planning on sticking with a single card, to make sure power consumption would be lower.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    Note: I work for AMD in the Radeon division.

You can get the HD 7850: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=14-131-473

You'd be able to pick any two free games from the silver tier @ www.amd.com/neversettleforever

Plus if you ever need help, I'm a PM away. :)
  • I know this might be asking a lot... but do you have any apples to apples performance numbers for the 5770 vs the 7850, @Thrax? I'm thinking about replacing my 5770 but, as always, I'm hand wringing about how much of an increase I'd be getting for the money.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2013
    7850 is basically 2.0x faster than a 5770, sometimes up to 2.25x in scenarios where 1GB VRAM (HD 5770) isn't sufficient. That's becoming increasingly common with modern DirectX 11 games. Power consumption is virtually identical.

7870 is 2.25-3x faster than a 5770.