I shaved. Bad mobile pic, but whatever.

primesuspectoni_delsUPSLynxmidga
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    Thor 3
    MiracleManSoni_dels
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    Thrax said:

Thor 3

I'm pretty sure @Jokke is the next villain in the series.
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    So, went to the local knife/cutlery shop today. I'd been meaning to stop by for a while to get my straight razor touched up (the edge got a little fucked up on the handle when it didn't close straight), and finally got around to it. I discovered they had a small set of shelves dedicated to shaving. None of it was particularly impressive; the only DE blades were Merkurs, and all of the soap and brushes and such were Col Conk. Regardless, the fact that the section even existed out here in Satan's Taint was pretty remarkable. I picked up a pack of the DE blades (Merkur Supers) and a puck of almond and resolved to at least give the blades a shot. I only know what I've read here about them, and even though they were priced at $0.60/blade, I wanted to try them out and see how horribad they are for myself.

I was pleasantly disappointed.

It might have been because I decided to try cold shaving for the first time today. It might have been because I'd refreshed myself on proper angles and lathering and such recently (had to shave my entire face for work recently, the experience was a little painful and prompted me to go out and remember some things...). It might have really just been the blades. (It also could have been the Green Spot.) Whatever it was, I had a pretty decent shave. My face is a little sensitive in some spots, mostly on my neck, but my hard water coupled with a somewhat aggressive third pass ATG probably accounts for that. No bleeding, though.

I'm looking forward to getting my Dovo back in working condition, but I've really been enjoying using this Merkur the last year or so. Even moreso the last month what with the more-than-the-neck shaving.
    UPSLynx
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    Proper shaving tips:

oni_delsJokkemidga
  • oni_delsoni_dels Drunk French Canadian Montréal, Québec. Icrontian
    UPSLynx said:

Proper shaving tips:

'cause those Quebecer lumberjacks know a thing or two 'bout beards, y'all.
  • JokkeJokke Bergen, Norway Icrontian
    That's some solid advice, right there.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited August 2013
    I hate each and every one of you that can grow a full beard. I'm almost 41 and I know 5th graders that have thicker beards that I do, yet I have to shave almost daily.
    UPSLynxKwitkomidgaRahnalH102
  • Kwitko said:

I hate each and every one of you that can grow a full beard. I'm almost 41 and I know 5th graders that have thicker beards that I do, yet I have to shave almost daily.

I'm with you. I've just given up on shaving. My better half likes my facial hair no matter how pathetic it is, so I now just live with it.
    Kwitko
    So, I recently delved into antique DEs, and at this point have about four Gillettes of various styles, a Barbasol, and one with no identifying markings. The best part is, these things are rather cheap at antique malls. I've tried one of the Gillettes, and it has a much more aggressive angle than my Merkur. I love it. Can't wait to try the others.

If y'all are interested, I'll take some pictures.
    UPSLynx
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    Pics!

Antique razors are great, they will seriously last you a lifetime as long as you don't run em over with a car or something (and sometimes, even then).

My cousin has bought numerous razors in Indiana antique stores and cleaned them all up and now uses them regularly. I haven't had so much luck in California, but it's always fun to look.
    midga
  • PinkPink Colour Sweden Icrontian
    Real men cover their facial her in gasoline and burn it off!
  • I just read this in a shaving brush review: "I am not a fan of a small woodland creature giving up its life for my happiness, but this product might well have been worth it."

I guess the reviewer doesn't know the reputation of badgers.
    Tushonmidga
  • I accidentally grew a beard out of being busy and not paying attention. It had a lot of gray in it. On further inspection, so does my head. I'm going to start calling you guys whippersnappers.
    midgaUPSLynx_k
  • JBoogalooJBoogaloo This too shall pass... Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    You probably should, don't forget to take your Geritol, grandpa!
    UPSLynxBobbyDigi
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    Advantage of being bald - no gray hair
    primesuspect_k
  • PinkPink Colour Sweden Icrontian
    edited February 2014
    I shave my beard because if I don't I look pretty silly.
    Still, since I did in fact save up to a beard last summer I might aswell share these pics.
    First one is unshaved, second one is silly muttonstache because I had to do something with it before I removed it completely.
    TushonBobbyDigi
  • HeroHero formerly known as XGPHero Icrontian

bumping and summarizing great tips that i can confirm from personal experience...
    first, a safety razor gives the closest and most pleasant experience ive had. better than electrics and cartridge razors.

continuing, canned shaving creams should be avoided if you seek the best shaving experience. also avoid anything with alcohol. Preshave lotions and balms, quality shaving creams, and aftershaves can further improve the experience (again avoid alcohol). For some people with sensitive skin or who require frequent shaves, these may be a necessity.

A shaving brush may or may not be necessary for your shaving cream, depending on what form your shaving cream comes in. for those who want or need a brush, avoid synthetic fibers, as these simply do not hold enough moisture. Boars hair is minumum, but gravitate towards badger. badger brushes have varying levels of quality.

Not all blades are created equal. for safety razors, some blades may work better on your face than others. there are multi packs that you can buy, so you can experiment with different brands.

theartofmanliness is a great site to expound upon the cliffnotes i have summarized above...they also have a series of youtube videos that are worth watching.

georgeh
  • HeroHero formerly known as XGPHero Icrontian

got new shaving stuff today at an awesome shop in pasadena, The Old Town Shaving Company. I got Chiseled Face, Cryogen shaving soap and aftershave. mentholated for that real WAKE UP! experience. cant wait to try them tomorrow morning. :biggrin:

edited August 2016

I have been shaving with the Merkur Progress 510, Feather Hi-Stainless Platinum or Astra Superior Platinum blades, and Creamo shaving lather for about six weeks now. Finishing with Proraso, Burt's Bees or Best For Last aftershaves. (I don't prefer one over the other, yet.)

I haven't cut myself, had acne, had razor burn, or experienced ingrown hairs since I made the switch. Good bye, cartridge razors.

Now I have to master shaving my head with this thing. FML.

mertesnKwitkoBuddyJUPSLynx
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

That's great to hear. It's an awesome change.

@Thrax said:

Go big or go home:

• SignalSignal Icrontian

@Thrax said:

This is what turned me away from DE razors. Could never get the hang of doing my head. After a month of showing up to places with my head bleeding, I switched back to my Dorcos. Hopefully your experience is better. Go slower than shaving your face though, I did learn that.

• RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian

Repeat post @Tushon ?

I'm 100% confident I can get the top and sides, the parts I can see with a mirror. Been there, succeeded. It's the poor back of my head. I fear for its life.

mertesn
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

@Ryder said:
    Repeat post @Tushon ?

deleted, thanks

• SignalSignal Icrontian

@Thrax said:
    I'm 100% confident I can get the top and sides, the parts I can see with a mirror. Been there, succeeded. It's the poor back of my head. I fear for its life.

The problem I ran into is where the back of the head meets the top of the head and the corners. That's where you start to get into some odd angles and the razor is tettering on a skin hump. That's where I always shaved off bits of skin anyways.

_k