ICJS - IC Jon SNOUWWWGHHWGHHW

Comments

• I'm 1-3 hours away from most resorts. Keep my place in mind as you figure out the logistics of the trip.
    @Tushon already told me he wants to stay in or near the resorts, but if anybody is ok with driving to them then I have rooms available.

Winter Park does ski biking, highly recommended if anybody wants to try something new. It's cheap, and you don't fall a lot.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

I'll be getting quotes from several places tomorrow/Monday, but Winter Park was already high on my list.
    Winter Park is looking pretty good and I'm focusing most of my efforts there. Thanks @PirateNinja of the Hammered Cock.

For my stated goals, even without a group rate (which we may achieve based on friends and my family who is interested).
    For 2 days of skiing/snowboarding and 3 nights of being there (thurdsay-sunday), total cost per person is looking to be ~375
    For 3 days of skiing/snowboarding and 3 nights of being there (thursday-sunday), total cost per person is looking to be ~456.

This is housing, rentals and lift tickets. you may be able to get that number lower with stuffing more people in (but I personally will be sleeping in a bed) or using cheaper/your own gear (i picked the mid range gear price). This does not include your transportation cost. This also assumed a lower number of people/bed than I expect in reality (i.e. there are a bunch of couples signed up and that initial math was done based on 1 person per bed in a particular room setup. I will be doing full on research mode tonight with a linky to the information and how we'll work it.
  • ERgmrhad. It's happening. IC Mountain Adventure Jean Snough.
    Winter Park is pretty, and they have a pretty sweet Belgish Beer Bar that I will totally sit in all day while you guys got sunburned and fall down.

Anybody that wants to stay with me, pm me. This is our home's listing on airbnb but you will stay for free. Space will be limited probably to 6-10 people, I have to talk with Melissa. More about us? Our hobbies include sitting by the fireplace and watching the wildlife go by, drinking desert wines, playing cards against humanity, good conversation, strategy based board games, shoveling snow, and cooking/grilling. So first come first serve if there is interest in casa ninja.
    The drive from my place -> Winter Park will be 2-2.5 hours due to traffic/conditions in February.

Basically if you want to do Winter Park and stay at my place, you should have a group to split the rental of an AWD suv of some sorts and carpool. I can pick someone up from the airport and drive them to a rental place that is not on site which will cut the cost of your rental considerably.

That's all I can think of for now. I'm painfully excited for this, why is it 6 months away.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    I won't know my schedule until 1/1/2014.

With that said, I drove through Winter Park when I was in Colorado over Memorial Day. Beautiful country.

I may visit.
  • PinkInDetroitPinkInDetroit Brian's (actual) Waifu Detroit, MI Icrontian
    i have the biggest snowboner right now
    PirateNinja
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    snowner?
  • djmephdjmeph Detroit Icrontian
    I put down that I'd be willing to go, but I will also add that making this later in February, early March would make it more likely that I'll actually go. I'm going to be in England for Christmas and through New Years and I'll need to space out my time off.
    edited August 2013
    Flights have already begun booking, friend :/

For housing, there are a variety of options/price points. I would think the best way for me to work it out would be to have IC people "group up", so I need a really accurate number of beds to be occupied (i.e. if you are a couple who will be sharing a bed, cool, if you are flying solo, cool). I'll be planning for my family separately since they will probably have kids involved. Alternatively, we can all book our own stuff, but that will probably result in overall higher prices. For example, there are options from hotel room style all the way up to 3BR condos with full kitchens. A big money saver would be making your own breakfast/lunch/dinner at the condo/hotel room with kitchen or staying in the town of winter park itself at a place which includes breakfast. Here is the info I received about rates. It should be formatted decently :D

There is also this information about lessons/lift ticket combos for those who might want lessons. I can "probably" teach you how to snowboard, but it involves falling. :P It took me about 3 days to consistently do well, but I was lucky enough to do this on a 6 day trip in high school.

Keep in mind when you plan to arrive and leave. You will likely only get 2 full days of lifts unless you arrive early (half days are possible). We'll definitely want to look at taking advantage of the lodging deals (info) to get "one night free" or cheaper lift tickets. We can also get discounts on lifts, but only if we have 20 or more people total and then we'd have to buy them together and at least 2 weeks ahead of time IIRC. Prices are not currently available, but via a lodging booking, you can expect ~$85/day for lift tickets at "normal" rates when booked with lodging (but you get a "free" night). Not booking with lodging, but at group rates is ~128 total according to this document (for 2 days), 108 total for 13-17 years old. So if we end up with over 20 people total, I'll be handling lift tickets separate from lodging booking.

So, for example:
    Booking a "1 bedroom" 2 room connecting suite with 4 queen beds at 6 people (2 couples, 2 singles) for three nights [assuming a Thursday evening arrival] with lift tickets and rentals for 2 days works out to ~325/person for everything except food once you are at the resort.

Ground transportation:
    Shuttle
    The shuttle costs go down if people arrive at the same time and book in advance (i.e. not using a rental car, which of the two times I've been, we used the vehicle once to go to dinner at a far away restaurant which we could have taken a shuttle to anyways). Plugging in dummy numbers for 6 people yielded $57/person round trip to Winter Park from Denver International Airport. If we managed to have 11 people there at the same time for pick up/drop off, that per person price goes down to $44/person round trip.

Amtrak has a daily departure at 805A arriving at 1007A (from Denver to Fraser [town near Winter Park] and it's supposed to be really nice. Plan accordingly for your trip there and back if choosing this. The return trip departs at 350P for a 638P arrival in Denver.

Air Transport:
    Frontier is going to be a good choice for most people coming from a major airport. For comparison, I checked Southwest vs frontier and saved over $170 for Dallas to Denver and it was non-stop vs stopping in Houston (on Southwest).

================================================

Hi Nick,

Thanks so much for reaching out and for providing such great, detailed information with your request for proposal. I’m provided group rate information below for the 3 properties in and around the base of the ski area. If you are not seeing something that suits your needs, please let me know and I can refer you to someone that can help quote options in the town of Winter Park (2 miles from the resort) that would access the ski area via a complimentary shuttle system.

Additionally, I’ve attached a copy of our group rate sheet for lift tickets, rentals and lessons. Our group rates start for 20 or more individuals. It looks like you may hit that number. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Taxes and Fees equal an additional 13.909% at each location. Rates would not change for an arrival on the 6th or 7th, provided you maintain a 3 night stay.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    ZEPHYR MOUNTAIN LODGE: - (Ski in/Ski out) www.zephyrmountainlodge.com
    Zephyr Mountain Lodge is a mountain contemporary lodge with a slopeside location at the base of the Zephyr Express chairlift and is the prime location for the Resort’s winter “playground”. This unique, two building property is comprised of 230 condominiums ranging from one to three bedrooms. Each building has two private outdoor hot tubs and heated underground pay parking. In addition, a variety of shops and restaurants are located on the ground floor in the Zephyr Plaza. Lodging consists of one bedroom (Queen Bed, pull out sofa, full kitchen), two bedroom (2 Queen Beds, pull out sofa, full kitchen), and three bedroom (3 Queen Beds, pull out sofa, full kitchen). Some units have multiple bedding. If you’re interested I can send you a list of specifics. Free high-speed internet available in all units.

6 – 9 Feb 2014
    1 Bedroom silver - $159.00/night
    1 Bedroom silver mtn view - $176.00/night
    2 Bedroom silver - $270.00/night
    2 Bedroom gold - $305.00/night
    2 Bedroom silver mtn view - $292.00/night
    2 Bedroom gold mtn view - $326.00/night
    3 Bedroom silver - $412.00/night
    3 Bedroom gold - $466.00/night
    3 Bedroom silver mtn view - $440.00/night
    3 Bedroom gold mtn view - $494.00/night
    FRASER CROSSING / FOUNDERS POINTE: (2 minute walk to lifts) www.fraserfounders.com

Opened January 2008, Fraser Crossing and Founders Pointe are the two newest properties at Winter Park Resort and offer guests the convenience of a prime location, just steps from the resort and the ski lifts. Fraser Crossing and Founders Pointe offer 195 units comprised of studios (King Bed, pull out sofa, kitchenette), one bedroom (King Bed, pull out sofa, full kitchen or kitchenette), and two bedroom (King Bed, Queen Bed, pull out sofa, full kitchen), condominiums. Each has the comforts of home and feature free high-speed wireless internet, flat screen TVs, large outdoor amenity decks with hot tub and BBQ, storage locker room and convenient, private, underground, heated pay parking garage.

6 – 9 Feb 2014
    Studio - $120.00/night
    Studio Gold - $133.00/night
    1 Bedroom Efficiency - $137.00/night
    1 Bedroom Efficiency Gold - $157.00/night
    1 Bedroom Full Kitchen - $159.00/night
    1 Bedroom Full Kitchen Gold - $178.00/night
    2 Bedroom - $234.00/night
    2 Bedroom Gold - $268.00/night
    VINTAGE HOTEL: (2.5 minute Cabriolet ride to the Village at Winter Park and the lifts) www.vintagehotel.com

Located at the entrance to Winter Park Resort, The Vintage Hotel is comprised of 110 rooms that feature beautiful mountain vistas and is the closest lodging option to the resort that is pet-friendly. The full-service Vintage Hotel has traditional hotel rooms, studios, one, and two bedroom suites with many rooms featuring kitchenettes and gas fireplaces. Five Mountain Tavern, located just inside the lobby is the perfect place to catch up with friends and family. The Vintage Hotel also offers an outdoor pool, and Hot Tub.

6 – 9 Feb 2014
    Hotel Room - $115.00/night - 2 Queens
    Studio - $128.00/night - 2 Queens / Kitchenette
    Lofted Studio - $141.00/night - 1 Queen / 1 Sofa Sleeper / Kitchenette
    Deluxe Studio - $141.00/night - 1 King / 1 Sofa Sleeper / Kitchenette

Hope this helps get you started. Thanks again!
    JBoogalooGnomeQueen
    Ski school rate info (mind the group rates)
    Lift ticket group rate
    Group rental rates

I did my price estimate without group rates, so everything would go down if we have enough people.
    edited August 2013
    Okay, I'm going to try and get a housing contract signed by 8/31 to beat a rate increase. I need everyone who is planning to attend to send me a deposit of $100 and I'll be using that for housing. This is to ensure you're actually committed to the trip (I almost got fucked in the past by fronting deposit money for something similar and having a ton of people back out - never again! :D ) and will be put towards your personal portion of the housing cost. I'm going to be going for maximum efficiency unless otherwise noted (i.e. if you and whoever is coming with you would prefer a single room rather than sharing a 2 bedroom/sofa sleeper, etc, I need to know) and need this in the next few days. If you will be able to give me the deposit in the next couple weeks but can't in the next few days, let me know. I basically need to know a bed count needed at the end of the day and will split costs evenly among those in the rooms (i.e. a couple staying in a 1 bed by themselves wont be subsidized by people who are okay with the 4 bed option).

This is a list of IC people that I have names for who are interested. There were two responses early on who I do not have a name for
    @primesuspect and @troublebaker (any kids?)
    @Ryder
    @malia (and not @Cannonfodder IIRC)
    @TiberiusLazarus
    @MrTRiot
    @DJMeph (maybe, I know)
    @_k_ (+1)

One of the two unknowns was @shwaip perhaps, based on Jackson Hole being the only response for location.

I have other friends/family that I'm contacting separately to bring our total to around 20 (depending on couples and kids)

natravis@gmail.com for paypal, PM me for alternatives
    Also, I know @MrTRiot only replied with Canada as an option, but I wanted to check on your interest since I decided on a CO location.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    No kids on my side; I'll have an answer on our efficiency preferences soon.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    I cannot promise to be "in" at this time. I am interested, I just can't commit to it right now.
    I might drag a crazy brit along with me ;)
    kk, we'll just be booking stays separately if people need to "in" later. Happy to have more :D
    Bump for non-responders. Will also be poking via Facebook for those I have.
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    We are not going. Money junk, we both can't go.
    With the drops so far, the group rate is not happening so the "deadline" of 8/31 is no longer relevant. There will be one later, but I'll give you guys more heads up.
  • MrTRiotMrTRiot Northern Ontario Icrontian
    A US location doesn't work for me unfortunately due to student budgetary restraints
    Please post with confirmation that you're actually planning to attend this and if you have booked flight or somehow committed. I know myself, Brian and Nicole, and have received several maybes who I'll worry about later.
    PirateNinja
    Oh god if it's just the three of us that will be soooo awkward for you. I'm sorry in advance.
    _k
  • TiberiusLazarusTiberiusLazarus Icrontian
    edited September 2013
    No direct "in" confirmation yet, but I do plan on doing this. Have started looking at flights.
  • My place is still wide open for visitors as well if at some point you guys want a break from the mountains and want to relax on the range south of the airport.

If anything I'll drive up to the mountains one of the days and chill with you guys for some amount of hours then drive home.
  • JBoogalooJBoogaloo This too shall pass... Alexandria, VA Icrontian

Oh god if it's just the three of us that will be soooo awkward for you. I'm sorry in advance.

It's only awkward if you don't allow him to watch, jeez...help a creeper out!

Meh, since nothing is booked regarding housing, there are other options that may negate this. Just need to figure out who is actually going to in, since words are hard to use to pay for stuff.
    So, to be clear, we went from ~15 IC people to 3 "already bought tickets" and 2 "will be buying tickets soon™" ?

People I don't have direct confirmation either way from would be @Ryder and I've heard from @malia , @tiberiuslazarus, and others who have stated in the thread that they can't go or need to book later, etc.
    Welcome to my world :D
    LincTushonGHoosdum
    Planning this and a camping trip and starting a BPSA troop at the same time have led to several episodes of deep breaths that I haven't needed in a long time. I just want to play in the snow! :)
    JBoogaloo
  • Just keep it simple. The three of you come out to my place for the trip and we will hit the slopes one of the days. We are old, we can't be skiing for three days straight. I'll drive, we will keep it simple. The other days we can sit around on my porch, have snowball fights, play cards against humanity, whatever. You don't have to pay for a car or a hotel. I'll probably even feed you. You could meet bear trap. This is such an easy decision.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    I will have to say definitely no then. I fell so far behind because of mom's heart attack, I don't know which end is up. I filled out the forms before all this happened.