ICMC: The Restart II?

BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats !TX Icrontian
edited September 2013 in Minecraft
An amazing amount of terrain generation and visual changes are happening in the 1.7 update. With this thread I am opening discussion for a couple possible scenarios:

A: Do nothing, if people want new generation, they travel outside current generation.
Pros: Keep your stuff
Cons: Travel farther for new generation, possible ugly transitions

B: Server Wipe, new map, everyone starts over
Pros: All New Everything
Cons: "Lose" everything you currently have

C: Continental Shift: We use The Nether to go a couple thousand blocks away from current spawn and build a portal.
Pros: The world will generate with the newly updated generation, mobs, ect.
Cons: Travel time between continents. If you happen to die and spawn at The Spawn, you will have to travel quite a way to get back to the new continent.

If the current world is to be kept (A or C) then I am going to start doing some cleanup. 1/2 done buildings will be leveled, plots that were never used will be reassigned.

While I will take into consideration the votes in this thread, those who have continued to play or have been on more recently will have a bit more pull in the decision. I will make the final call to do what is best for the ICMC Community.

So... Let's hear those opinions

-Digi

ICMC: The Restart II? 29 votes

Do Nothing: Leave the world alone!
0%
Server Wipe: A whole New World!
31%
CyrixInsteadZanthianPirateNinjaSonorousardichokeErrorNullTurnipd3k0yMarshmellowCreeperbane2 9 votes
Continental Shift: Start a new continent
68%
GHoosdumCBBobbyDigiUPSHitmanGnomeQueenUPSLynxUPSKingpinCantiBandrikAlexDeGruvencolaBasilGattsuUPSMatLmidgacarwolfRahnalH102UPSNateDogIlriyas[Deleted User] 20 votes

Comments

• colacola part legend, part devil... all man Balls deep Icrontian
    After that night on mumble and minecraft a while back, I jumped on my singleplayer to mess around with some of the stuff I hadn't yet seen. There are great things out there, and I'd love to see em on IC if we could swing it. I know I'm not currently very active on our server, but I do love to see what people can do with time when I do log in.
    BobbyDigiBandrik
  • Server Wipe: A whole New World!
    You know me, I'm always down for a good ol' server wipe and reset. I feel like we get more activity on a fresh world too.
    BobbyDigi
  • UPSHitmanUPSHitman The Big Nasty Indianapolis, Indiana Icrontian
    I am for the Continental Shift. I don't want to wipe the server . I will not start over for the 4th or 5th time.
    BobbyDigi
  • Creeperbane2Creeperbane2 Victorian Scoundrel Indianapolis, IN Icrontian
    I will take the restart, I just recently got my steampunk airship tower done, but let us face it when your at a wall your at a wall, and I am at a wall.
    BobbyDigi
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    edited September 2013
    Do we have any kind of teleport system in place? I'm playing on a PvP survivor server that has two teleport methods, and it works very well without breaking the spirit of the game.

The first is /spawn and /home. The former teleports you to spawn. The latter lets you jump to a point you set with /sethome. Thus one could /spawn for ICTown, /home for the new continent. The other teleport system they have is a few fast-travel waypoints like in Diablo and Borderlands. Overall these both just make things so much easier and fun.

Ultimately, I see no reason for us to have to waste hours of cumulative real-life time running between continents when a few reasonable teleports of some sort can help keep things more fun. Without them, both locations will suffer because I doubt many of us will frequent one if we prefer working in the other. Thus, my vote is to add a new continent, but add fast-travel.
    UPSHitmanGnomeQueenBasilRahnalH102
  • UPSHitmanUPSHitman The Big Nasty Indianapolis, Indiana Icrontian
    I hate to say this .... but for once.... I agree with Bandrik...... (i can't believe I just said that..)
    UPSLynxBandrikCreeperbane2RahnalH102
  • BasilBasil Nubcaek England Icrontian
    Too many bits of IC history on the server to just wipe it.
    UPSLynxBandrikcolaBobbyDigi
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    I likely won't have the interest to play if we do a full wipe again. Too much time and investment in everything we've done so far.

Plus Spencer's house and creations. I refuse to play on a server without them.

It needs to be the continental shift. I say we get the new continent set up, and we have a saturday 'everyone get on and build!' day like we did with the last reboot. I know fresh content will bring life back to the server. I strongly believe that delayed updates and lack of locally-generating new chunks was the death knell to the current server. I know a lot of people would get back into it if we had the capability to enjoy these new features and items. The continental shift is the best of both worlds - and if sitting idle for a few minutes in a minecart if you accidentally spawn out is too much of an issue, I promise to buy the tissues for those users' tears.
    BobbyDigi said:

If the current world is to be kept (A or C) then I am going to start doing some cleanup. 1/2 done buildings will be leveled, plots that were never used will be reassigned.

What does leveling buildings entail? Any specific examples of stuff you'd want to demolish? To be honest, I kind of like the charm of some of the half-created things, but I'm not exactly sure what you have in mind.
    UPSHitmanBandrikGnomeQueen
    edited September 2013
    BobbyDigi said:

Like @UPSLynx, I am in favor of keeping project remnants for the same reasons. We aren't going for a photogenic "pro minecraft" server, so I like the bits and pieces people leave behind.

If there's some examples that are big eyesores but are just not complete, I would be totally in for helping to complete it as a group project some night (assuming the original creator is okay with that). Either that, or a group demo night to remove it.

For unused plots, I suggest warning plotowners first before reassigning. Some people probably just got distracted by other shinies. Just give a deadline, and if they don't do something by then, well at least they had their chance.

midga
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    Being completely ignorant of this: Is it possible/advisable to only copy the core ICTown to a new server? Seems like a nice compromise between the preservationists and restarters - keep the nifty core and some nostalgia while greatly reigning in the borders.

To be clear: I'm agnostic in this one, especially because I haven't been on the server in a helluva long time. But Spencer's house should totally be transplanted if we restart. :)
    GnomeQueen
    edited September 2013
    Lincoln said:

Being completely ignorant of this: Is it possible/advisable to only copy the core ICTown to a new server?

Not a bad idea, and most likely possible. I'm personally not for it only because it would mean giving up the "Sprite Farm" pixel art gallery, Canti's skittle farm and the giant tree farm many helped pitch in to make together, etc etc. There's a TON of memorable things outside of ICTown I just don't want to give up. I think it's a package deal.

Besides. It would also give up the Blaze Grinder that Spencer kept trying to use, then rage when all he would get with 100 levels (or whatever) is a Silktouch I Diamond Pickaxe. That's a place and a memory I don't want to axe. :)

I understand that it -is- technically possible, but it's a giant pain in the ass for various reasons. The terrain won't match up exactly, we lose links and nether-networks with portals and such. And there's a LOT more that we wish to keep that isn't just the IC town - many of us over the last year spent a lot of time developing little satellite towns and such that are just as important to us as the main IC town. By the time you manage to preserve the things we care about, it's more work than necessary if we can just spawn to a new area.
    The more I think about it, when new continent is an option, I see no point at all in totally rebooting the server. It really is the best of both worlds. We get a new server without losing anything - I can't see why we'd have any reason at this point for a full reboot.

If it's previously stashed items and loot that are the concern, I'm all for leaving that stuff behind and starting completely from scratch on the new continent - not bringing anything over and working to get it all back. We likely can only operate from a gentleman's agreement on this thing, but I'm pretty sure most of us would be good sports about it.
  • RequitRequit That one guy Somewhere over there, I don't know Icrontian
    If I may make a suggestion, one of the servers I played on would use MCEdit to copy all the notable buildings and landmarks into an entirely new map, getting the best of both worlds.
    ErrorNullTurnip
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited September 2013
    UPSLynx said:

The more I think about it, when new continent is an option, I see no point at all in totally rebooting the server. It really is the best of both worlds. We get a new server without losing anything - I can't see why we'd have any reason at this point for a full reboot.

The biggest argument I'd have against continental shift is that it balloons the hell out of the world size which increases resource usage on the server (both memory and disk space). Also makes map renders take a helluva lot longer. That said, I just doubled up the memory in my server and I don't do my normal remote backups of the world data (remote backups cost me money) so I guess I don't really care much.

Speaking of remote backups @Snarkasm, snark.isa-geek.net hasn't been working for me in a while. Did you change something?

Oh, and with regards to delayed updates killing the server, blame the bukkit team. I get the updated builds out as quick as I can, but they seem to be running further and further behind the official Minecraft release as time goes on.
    BobbyDigi
  • SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian
    I would be more inclined to play with you guys if I didn't feel so left behind and actually had a part in the servers creation, be that a restart or a new continent.
    BobbyDigi
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    A new icrontinent sounds like a helluva good idea, and the expedition to create it sounds way more fun than a new-server day.
    UPSHitmanBobbyDigi
  • Server Wipe: A whole New World!
    Sonorous said:

I would be more inclined to play with you guys if I didn't feel so left behind and actually had a part in the servers creation, be that a restart or a new continent.

me the same
    BobbyDigi
  • RahnalH102RahnalH102 the Green Devout, Veteran Monster Hunter, Creature Enthusiast New Mexico Icrontian
    edited September 2013
    I am honestly not sure what to do. I do like to play with you all when you happen to be on, but when I'm working on my own stuff it's out in the square boonies, and I like that too. I like my island and my temple but I'm not overly attached to them. I still haven't finished Ceadus either. All I know for sure is I do want to spend more time with IC so whatever gets people on the most would be what I favor. I'm open to all option but will go with the new continent option for now.

I'll also grab Enembis' and Zealocks opinions.
    Enembis: Continental Shift. Doesn't want to start on his tower again.
    Zealock: Continental Shift. (Still wants to finish his wall and castle thing so I'm gonna guess Continental shift as well.)
    Side note: We so incomplete out here haha.
    BobbyDigi
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    What the hell happened to the grass in the blue, red, and black sheep pens?
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited November 2013
    The Sheep happened. Too many sheep eating up all the grass. It's better than it looks when you're actually on the server.

-Digi
  • Creeperbane2Creeperbane2 Victorian Scoundrel Indianapolis, IN Icrontian
    http://minecraft.ardichoke.info/#/-116/64/631/-1/0/0
    Ughhh that moment when you realize the corner stairs you used backfired due to derpyness, Jeb game fix now!
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    I was initially for a full-wipe, but then I started thinking about it more thoroughly.

I think we've got a lot more invested in this iteration than the past. We took the time to plan things out and a lot of effort went into the whole of IC Town and everyone's various projects.

I do wish there was a teleporting system available, which would make it so much easier to swallow the Continental Shift method. I'd love to have a teleporting system at my IC Town house, and at my FOH castle area in the outlands, as well as the new contintent.
    BasilGnomeQueenmidgaBobbyDigi
  • ErrorNullTurnipErrorNullTurnip Illinois Icrontian
    Y'know, there already is a nice, long, nether system out to the blaze grinder with a full cart system. We could just delete the overworld around that point and let it regen with 1.7 terrain.
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    It's not far enough away

-Digi
    UPSLynx
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian

Y'know, there already is a nice, long, nether system out to the blaze grinder with a full cart system. We could just delete the overworld around that point and let it regen with 1.7 terrain.

Are you fucking serious?
  • ErrorNullTurnipErrorNullTurnip Illinois Icrontian
    Then maybe I'm missing something. How much farther does the Continental Shift move take us then? That spot is already at -4500, -1500 and doesn't appear to have any player-made structures within 1500m. My suggestion was to only delete that leg of the map (past x:-3200).
    Oh fuck I'm dumb. I read that as, "let's delete everything but the blaze grinder."
    midgaUPSKingpinRahnalH102Creeperbane2