Help finding a job for a chemical engineer friend

GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz QueenMountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
Hey guys,

so @Whiskeyinyrshoes or Esti's little brother graduated from school in May with a degree in Chemical Engineering. He's been looking for a job, but hasn't had much luck. Esti has done extensive searching for job boards and stuff for him, but doesn't think she's finding the right stuff (and she is magic at finding things.) I know that we have a lot of engineers in our midst (although I don't know if any of y'all are chemical ones) but I figured I'd see if any of you knew of opportunities/ good job boards/ had general advice.

Thank you!!! :)<3
whiskeyinyrshoes

Comments

• shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    where
  • maliamalia Sconnie Nation Icrontian
    Also, what is he interested in? It's a really diverse degree - I have chemE friends that work everywhere from the petroleum industry to Nestle & Progresso
  • IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    edited September 2013
    Imperial Oil is hiring in Alberta. Trying to make the tar sands an economically viable source of oil is a big project right now.
    whiskeyinyrshoes
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    Yup, duder could make $120k+ easy out in the Canadian oil sands.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    And contribute to the decline of human civilization while he's at it!

I dated a chemical engineer. She went on to a very lucrative career at an automotive supplier that made, of all things, wiring harnesses. I dunno.
  • whiskeyinyrshoeswhiskeyinyrshoes lost in my own allergies Member
    He's up for pretty much anything--still figuring out exactly what his dream job is (though the idea of working for a brewing company has come up). Location isn't a huge deal. He'd prefer a city but he's pretty flexible (and has a car and a little bit of savings). Cool places like San Francisco, Boulder, and Vancouver are high on the list, but our family is based in Cleveland so Ohio is where he's mostly been looking (especially since my mom has some contacts around here), and he says he's fine going most anywhere for a couple of years.

The tar sands project was something he mentioned being interested in, so it's definitely helpful to have company names and stuff. Thanks @Ilriyas!

Additional info:
    Most of the reason he's lagged on looking for/finding jobs is because he spent his last two years of school recovering from lymphoma, which definitely delayed his studies and made things like job searching while still in school harder. Happily, he's in remission and pretty well-recovered now : )

His grades are super good and he was one of the top in his class (he went to Ohio University which has a pretty good engineering school from what I hear), but the whole cancer thing means he doesn't have the same amount of research/intern experience as a lot of his classmates, so that's been difficult to get around. But his professors seemed to think it wouldn't too bad since he has a lot of leadership and project experience. If anyone has any ideas about how to spin that, I'm all ears.

Most importantly, thank you all so much for your input--anything is a big help. I really want to make this easy for him but it's such an unfamiliar industry to me I hardly know where to start. You're the best <3
    GnomeQueen
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
  • My Sister in Law was an agronomy major with a chemistry background. She has worked with several chemical engineers doing farming projects. Taking soil samples, determining proper fertilization profiles. If there is farmland nearby, someone is likely being paid well to analyze it and develop fertilizer for it.

Another thing to consider, you friendly neighborhood waste treatment plant. Yeah, it smells bad, but I know there is a budding industry around converting waste into fertilizer, sometimes energy.
  • PinkPink Colour Sweden Icrontian
    I have the prefect suggestion:

midga
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian

He's up for pretty much anything--still figuring out exactly what his dream job is (though the idea of working for a brewing company has come up). Location isn't a huge deal. He'd prefer a city but he's pretty flexible (and has a car and a little bit of savings). Cool places like San Francisco, Boulder, and Vancouver are high on the list, but our family is based in Cleveland so Ohio is where he's mostly been looking (especially since my mom has some contacts around here), and he says he's fine going most anywhere for a couple of years.

The tar sands project was something he mentioned being interested in, so it's definitely helpful to have company names and stuff. Thanks @Ilriyas!

Additional info:
    Most of the reason he's lagged on looking for/finding jobs is because he spent his last two years of school recovering from lymphoma, which definitely delayed his studies and made things like job searching while still in school harder. Happily, he's in remission and pretty well-recovered now : )

His grades are super good and he was one of the top in his class (he went to Ohio University which has a pretty good engineering school from what I hear), but the whole cancer thing means he doesn't have the same amount of research/intern experience as a lot of his classmates, so that's been difficult to get around. But his professors seemed to think it wouldn't too bad since he has a lot of leadership and project experience. If anyone has any ideas about how to spin that, I'm all ears.

Most importantly, thank you all so much for your input--anything is a big help. I really want to make this easy for him but it's such an unfamiliar industry to me I hardly know where to start. You're the best <3</p>

bampz