Civ 5 - Dickbots I [complete]

Comments

• BasilBasil Nubcaek England Icrontian

I propose a simple strategy; rush and fuck.

/thread
  • I haven't started too many games in the modern era, so I'm a little puzzled as to what to do for a starting strategy. However, I did choose the Aztec civ based upon the ability to gain culture from unit kills. I plan to use this to select the social policies that strengthen military and city defense. Because of this ability, it makes sense for me to focus my military on killing enemy units rather than cities, though I will of course be willing to participate in any joint military ventures required.

In addition, my start location was out in the middle of a 1x4 peninsula, so I will have to focus resources and units on building my navy, otherwise my city is very vulnerable by sea.

As far as group strategy goes, I would have to say that we can't let the enemy get too far advanced, or we will be at a severe disadvantage due to their larger number of cities.
    thealanyamike
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited September 2013
    GHoosdum said:

As far as group strategy goes, I would have to say that we can't let the enemy get too far advanced, or we will be at a severe disadvantage due to their larger number of cities.

I considered this in my choice of Civ, which is why I went with the great nation of Ethiopia. I get a 'natural' 20% buff against civs with more cities than me...so, everyone.

I had planned on providing land-defense for everyone should any shens break out at home, and either doing a tech/culture rush otherwise. I can be an aggressor if necessary as well, since that buff will go to waste if I don't - I'd considered starting to petition you all send me units, but I see that in Ghoooshsosoahsodm's case it would be counterproductive to what he needs to accomplish.

As an aside, I also must admit I may or may not have considered attempting to figure out how to 'overthrow' the human race and take you all over, but that's impossible since we're on a team.
    Basil
  • You guys on the continent need to connect your cities by road/rail when possible so we can quickly help each other when need be and get the bonuses from doing as much.

I'm busy fending off the dickbots that are sandwiching me in an island in the middle of nowhere. (One of the funnier sentences I've written in a while)
    I'll be our sea power if possible.
    Starting late game try to get your production up sooner rather than later. It pays dividends quickly. The difference between making 1 or 2 GIs per turn can make or break us in a game like this.

I assume everyone already spent all their culture points, but for those of you who are not used to serious war in this game please consider the honor track. The adjacent unit bonus+great general are exceptionally helpful to get an edge from the get go and start leveling your troops fast. I had to go that route due to my starting position and the immediate need to back off the dickbots on my borders.

I'd stray from building defensive stuff like walls. In our situation, a good offense is our only defense. At the same time, expand your borders aggressively through culture and buying tiles that make sense.

We need to rush these gundam shitbags, and then we need to you know what them.
  • Connecting cities via rail ASAP is a good idea. I take it that we are going to focus on conquest rather than space race?
  • Tech is difficult because we are limited on our population with 1 city. Especially starting on an even playing field in the modern era.

Regardless, if we don't immediately put the pressure on the dickbots through warfare they will win. The AI gets tons of boosters at difficulty levels like this, and they can settle more land than us.

I recommend that we have to, if nothing else, slow them down via bullets and win a space race OR kill them all before it comes to that. If you can pillage their farms without dying, that helps too. Keep their population low. Nearly all research multipliers are based on population. Just don't lose units whenever you can avoid doing so. Start fighting and retreating to heal now to get your XP up. The only way our GIs will beat theirs is if we have upgrades. We aren't going to win via numbers when we can only produce one unit per turn max.

I would say before you guys start building rail, get your mines built so that your city can finish buildings as quickly as possible. If you are comfortable with it dabble with citizen management to boost production, but don't hamper your food growth too much. You need citizens to work those mines. It's about balance.
  • For a more specific idea of R&F strategy. If you guys agree, I propose:

@Nights
    @Ilriyas
    @GHoosdum
    Can you guys gift some units or if not immediately send them over to:

@Basil
    and
    @Gargoyle

They need immediate help and we ought to destroy the city and settler north of @Basil and west of @Gargoyle now. Meanwhile the three of you are pretty much safe and don't need all your troops. Exploring should come secondary to dominating the dickbots that are bordering us and time is of the essence.

After we take out the city North of @Basil, we can take the one south of him. Then we will have that entire continent more or less secure for our borders and development.

• I'm sending units toward Basil and Garg.
    Sending
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    Yeah, I'm at a stalemate without backup. Gracias.
  • I've killed two Japanese settlers, possibly a third next turn. However, I'm quickly getting a Japanese army of dickbots surrounding me. Don't cry for me. I did it all for you.

Basil
    It's so damn hard to move reinforcements over to you guys - you have to leapfrog the giant clusterfuck of help headed your way and it's only making things worse.
    PirateNinja
  • The mountains directly to the North of my start location make it hard for me to send help without routing them through city state territory. Oh, well, my favor is going to settle at -20 for walking units through their territory.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    How dare you annoy such important allies?!
    GHoosdumPirateNinjaBasil
  • IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    Being the furthest away from the front lines and having to circumvent all the cities it's going to take at least 7 or 8 turns to get there.
    edited October 2013
    Sent you all my monies to buy units of war, Daniel.

Also, declaration of friendship because <3
    PirateNinjaBasil
  • @Gargoyle I sent a trade request for 2 iron so I can get a few frigates on the incoming infantry. @NiGHTS thank you a million you kind sir.

I'll have oil to trade soon, and hopefully extra sugar if I can lighten the troops on my borders.
    Orangebots got a bunch of reinforcements this turn. Lame. I finally have an artillery to get some free hits in, though.

Started building a road east from China towards Ethiopia and Sweden. If you guys have some workers to help out with speeding units to the western front, feel free to jump in on that infrastructure-building fun.

@Gargoyle I sent a trade request for 2 iron so I can get a few frigates on the incoming infantry.

You got it.

...get a few frigates...

Dickboats
    midgaPirateNinjaBasilGarg
  • @Ilriyas please quit this game. Each turn you miss risks screwing up the game as the AI can make peace. Not to mention delay of game.

Pinging @CrazyJoe, @CB. Slot available.
  • IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    I'm sorry Ill quit tonight, been busy with school among other distractions and I don't have the drive to keep up with it.

Sorry again.
  • It's all good Ily, I knew you wanted out I just want to get a replacement so the game doesn't get screwed up. No need to apologize, but I know you can't help it. <3
    midga
  • I'm still following the build roads around our continent and units to the front strategy.

Anything else we need to focus on? Japan is building settlements on the continent south of us now.
    I've got 3 artillery ready to hit the orange Japanese city, but 3 defending riflemen just appeared. I can only clear one each turn with the artillery, so I'll need some assistance both in clearing them out in a timely fashion (while we have a chance to gain momentum), as well as in eventually capturing the city.

I could spread out artillery strikes on 2-3 riflemen my next turn to enable others to attack weakened units 2 turns from now.

Hopefully the road I built will help move units to the front. It just occured to me that a couple of my workers may be interfering with its use, so I'll move them away next turn if anybody is about to move something through. Otherwise, I'm going to try to build a road in Ethiopian territory to connect up to their network (I think Civ will let me do that, it's been awhile since I've tried).
  • I'm not sure how much this helps, but I don't need iron any longer. It helped immensely. I killed 3 dickbots because of it and lost 0 units because of it.

It also occurred to me a while back we could all pool our gold together and trade it to ghoosdum so that he could buy off and ally with the city state next to him. That city state has military and Japanese units in it's borders. I think it would be worth doing. I'm going off old memories here though, so Rob if you are not right next to a city state I'm probably thinking of someonelse. Regardless, I think it is a good idea for us.

Otherwise I'm going to build us a navy since I can't help with the land battle you guys are swamped in.
  • I am right next to a city state, but they hate me right now because I aggressively killed several city state settlers during the first few game turns in order to decrease the congestion on our continent. If someone else has a neutral relationship with the city states, it might be better for one of you guys to make the city state an ally.
    edited December 2013
    Here's what it looks like on my front at the end of my turn. (see attached)

@NiGHTS, your Mehal Sefari got ganked. I left that Orange rifleman with a shred of health, and then instead of retreating, they used the instant 50HP promotion and pulled out a win. Sorry about that. That rifleman is so dead when my city bombards him.

@GHoosdum, I propose you either leave your Rifleman where it is or move him towards Osaka one hex. You probably don't want to attack that weak orange Rifleman, since my city can kill it for free, and you can keep your health up. In any case, I'll move my Rifleman north of Osaka down next turn, and it will increase the number of targets for Osaka to choose from, in support of a maneuver I'll pull to the south:

That purple Rifleman will get bombarded by two artillery, then my GI will finish it off and threaten that new artillery they moved in. I'll try to bombard it with my third artillery, depending on how Civ will count the fractional road moves with the setup cost. Assuming we don't lose more than one rifledude/GI, I'll be able to start bombarding Osaka the following turn.

I feel pretty good about this, since I'm at the end of the human moves, so there won't be any surprises from the AI before my next turn. Once Osaka falls, my artillery should be able smash Nagoya from the comfort of our own territory.

It also occurred to me a while back we could all pool our gold together and trade it to ghoosdum so that he could buy off and ally with the city state next to him.

Sounds like a good idea, but I'm pretty much broke. I think I need to blow 55 of my gold next turn to upgrade a Rifleman.
    PirateNinja
  • It was actually in my best interest to take the orange Rifleman, because I gain culture for killing enemy units. I am impressed with your advance.
    GHoosdum said:

It was actually in my best interest to take the orange Rifleman, because I gain culture for killing enemy units. I am impressed with your advance.

S'all good, just over-optimizing over here. Hopefully we can knock out Orange soon! I'm having a hard time remembering the map beyond the screenshot above, but I'm thinking I could swing down to Purple, next.