Civ 5 - Dickbots II [dead]

PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian
edited August 2015 in Civilization

Comments

• CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    I still have yet to settle my only city. Nothing but desert to the south of the lakes, so I'm exploring a bit more before I plop down. No real resources to speak of.
  • BasilBasil Nubcaek England Icrontian
    edited September 2013
    Yeah, I don't like the huge empty map for a 1 city challenge but dunno how to make BNW play nice on a smaller one
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    I have no strategy so far. I settled my city but my units are just wondering around.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    I settled first turn because it looked like there wouldn't be much else around anyway in the tundra where I was plopped, and I had forgotten that we were doing the one-city thing, but now I regret it because I found some wheat to the south, which would have been great for growth. I've got wine and salt to spare, however. Too bad I can't get any monasteries.
    Also, I'm missing one of Babylons sweet bonuses. One of the reasons I picked them was to get the free Great Scientist. Either the host didn't set me as babylon when the game was set up, or starting with this odd one-city teams set-up somehow takes away my special Scientist... :/
  • Most Civs seem to lose their bonuses with a Modern era start. Luckily that just levels the playing field, at least for the human players.
    edited September 2013
    The Babylonian Great Scientist is supposed to be given even in a future start.

I just did a test to see, and even with one-city-challenge, and six teammates, Babylon still gets their Great Scientist on a late-era start. Also, Venice should have gotten a Great Merchant (of Venice).

Basil, when you started the game, did you set our civs manually, or let GMR handle it?
  • BasilBasil Nubcaek England Icrontian
    edited September 2013
    Set them manually, didn't know there was any other option.
  • Manual is the only option I think, GMR doesn't modify the save file it simply moves it around.

@CB I think we don't get our great people because we are on the same team and we have different CIVs. It would be a question for Firaxis though.
    edited September 2013
    Yeah, that's why I went in and tested it. I started a game under these same conditions, and I got my Great Scientist.

GMR actually does a lot more than just move the file around, and one thing it does is correct civ assignments. If you set up the wrong civ, or just set random civs, GMR will change the save file to match the game's set-up on the site. We first learned that when I set the civs wrong (I thought three people had chosen Russia) for IC FFA 001, and GMR changed them to the correct Civs for me. But it doesn't modify the starting units or other bonuses, when it does this.

Usually it's not a big deal, but it can screw up 'biased starts' if you leave them on, and some civs might lose or gain some special starting abilities. It's especially an Issue for Babylon, Venice, and the Shoshone, but it can also suck for anyone who would normally have better units in the starting era (like the Japanese on a Renaissance era start could end up starting with longswords instead of samurai or whatever).

I wonder if it's because I'm not the first player? I'll have to test that... (Edit: Tested, and even when they are not the 'host' these civs should get their bonuses)

It's not a big deal for this game I guess. I was just looking to get that extra jump in science for us, and it's not there, but I still get my scientists 50% faster, so it'll still help in the long run.
  • I had no idea GMR was involved with writes to the save file, I thought it was a "dumb" sync service with decent UI/UX to help us along. I suppose we could mention this to them for a future version/fix?

Thanks for noticing it anyway, I didn't realize I was missing a merchant at all.
    edited September 2013
    They're releasing a whole new version soon (called just "Multiplayer robot") which will set -up the games for the players, rather than making the host set them up, along with a bunch of other new features, including a voting system (to allow players to vote on things like game settings and kicking inactive players) and a pay-per-game PTBS host, if firaxis allows, which would let us play games with greater player numbers more easily, as it would allow people to take turns out of order, getting everyone done faster.

I'm don't think it's a GMR issue, but if it is, it'll likely be addressed in the new GMR.
    I won't mind restarting the game if we want to. Missing a great scientist is a fairly big deal.
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    CB said:

GMR.

Why do?

-Digi
    BobbyDigi said:

CB said:

GMR.

Why do?

-Digi
    In the new version of the site/software N7 is changing the name From 'Giant Multiplayer Robot' to 'Multiplayer Robot'. I don't think the acronym will be as distinctive, though.
    BobbyDigi
    With the Aztec's special power being culture for kills, if you see one of my units about to kill something please don't kill it yourself if you can avoid it.
    I just founded my first city and looked at the tech tree. It's going to take 100+ turns to research any tech unless we all pick the same one. We should definitely all research the same tech in that case.
  • @Basil
    plz help me kill this dickbot northwest of you so the settler it is protecting doesn't start a city near you.
  • @Cola, you missed your turn, as a result the AI made peace with Japan.

If @Basil wants to roll the turns back we could try again, but the only way to really avoid this is to turn off the turn timer.
    GHoosdum
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    I'm without a PC so I have no idea when I can do my turn although I'm not near any barbarians or anything.
  • colacola part legend, part devil... all man Balls deep Icrontian
    school got crazy this week, I haven't had much computer time, sorry
    Do we have a plan or something? I'm only recently getting in to how to actually play the game. Other than that, am I the only one in the new world area of the map?
    I'm just growing my capital. I finally have a plane to scout around and defend against the Japanese.
  • I propose a new strategy:
    @cola takes a turn

• colacola part legend, part devil... all man Balls deep Icrontian

Ah shit, sorry, my GMR got fucked up. I'll see if I can fix it/reinstall today

• @cola asleep

So I guess this game is dead. No turn in over 6 months.