T-Mobile's new Simple Choice plan: the time to switch is now

13»

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    Six month checkup: I am absolutely contract-free now, four of us have top-end smartphones, and my bill $80 LESS than it was before all this.

I am extraordinarily pleased with all of this.
    _kUPSLynx
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    I also got my family to switch to this. It didn't actually change "my" bill, but I went from 2GB capped data on really low speeds because AT&T sucks at getting anything right to HSPA+ and/or LTE (Nexus 4 hybrid radio so you get LTE and the enhancements of newer radios woooot! ) with 5GBs high speed then potential speed caps after that, but otherwise totally unlimited for $45. My family's overall bill when from ~$230 to ~$150, so a near identical drop. The only downside so far is that my parents travel frequently, so they lose data connectivity where they would have had it before due to AT&T's overall coverage being better, even if slow and shit everywhere for actual data speeds. I have no regrets.
  • I switched to this also and added an additional line for my fiancee. I'm really not saving money, since I was a no phone subsidy customer already, but now I have unlimited minutes (which I don't use, but the fiancee definitely does). Still, having two smart phones for 94/mo is pretty good, right?

I'd really like to move my phone to Ting, but their pricing model would not work for my better half since she uses a LOT of minutes every month. Also, not a fan of the fact that I wouldn't be able to have a Nexus 4. I am considering getting a cheap used/refurb device on Ting just to use as a mobile hotspot in places T-Mo lacks service...
  • CrazyJoe said:

T-Mobile is currently offering the Nexus 4 for $0 down on their no contract plan, plus they are offering a free wireless charger if you order online.

From what I've seen, T-Mobile charges more overall for the Nexus 4 on the installment plan than Google charges if you buy the phone outright.
    GHoosdum said:

CrazyJoe said:

T-Mobile is currently offering the Nexus 4 for $0 down on their no contract plan, plus they are offering a free wireless charger if you order online.

From what I've seen, T-Mobile charges more overall for the Nexus 4 on the installment plan than Google charges if you buy the phone outright.
    As do most carriers with most phones, unless my memory fails me. It's like layaway with interest.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    GHoosdum said:

CrazyJoe said:

Correct. You're better off buying any phone outright for any carrier if at all possible. Never in the history of phones has it been cheaper to buy through carriers. Maybe one day.
  • JBoogalooJBoogaloo This too shall pass... Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    3mons in, a Samsung GS4 and Iphone 5 are paid off, unlimited 4g plan, and STILL just about 100 bucks less than our old Verizon plan. Yeah, I'm pretty effin pleased :)
    JBoogaloo said:

3mons in, a Samsung GS4 and Iphone 5 are paid off, unlimited 4g plan, and STILL just about 100 bucks less than our old Verizon plan. Yeah, I'm pretty effin pleased :)

Sounds like snow trip money :P
    JBoogaloo
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited September 2013
    @mas0n and I are both are tmobile for life.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    As I travel ALOT for work, I can say that t-mo has expanded service both through new towers and contracts with other carriers. I have now seen an improvement in the more rural parts of Texas, Arkansas and Oklahoma. The picture in the west where Verizon has dominated is a whole new map now! Wyoming, Colorado, Utah and New Mexico have gone from very little bad coverage to vast stretches of full bars of 4G where I never thought I would see any service. The Pac NW is also very good now except for some bad spots here and there. Wisconsin has far better coverage than I saw 2 years ago on ATT. Most metros have LTE that work quite well where it didn't even exist at all less than a year ago. On another note, Ohio still sucks in most places.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    Mt_Goat said:

As I travel ALOT for work, I can say that t-mo has expanded service both through new towers and contracts with other carriers. I have now seen an improvement in the more rural parts of Texas, Arkansas and Oklahoma.

Mrs @BuddyJ was on T-Mobile for quite some time, and she had terrible reception at the in-laws' house (and at home). Not sure if it was the service or the phone, but the coverage map shows a bit of a dead spot right over the house.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    I've been on T-mo's simple choice on my Gnex for about five months now after being on contract with them since 2008. I love it so much. My bill is almost $20 cheaper than it used to be, and I have unlimited text and voice, because why not?

Get T-mo.
  • JBoogalooJBoogaloo This too shall pass... Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    UPSLynx said:

Get T-mo.

GTMO? That works, right?
    UPSLynx
    T-Mobile just won it for me. International all the things included with your plan for no additional charge.
  • ZanthianZanthian Mitey Worrier Icrontian
    http://www.engadget.com/2013/10/15/t-mobile-grandfathered-plans-transition/

I am undecided if this is a good thing, the rate seems pretty decent.
    Tried T-Mo's service last weekend. Pretty sure I hold the record for the shortest duration as a customer (3 hours). Anything west of my gets a weak voice signal and absolutely no data signal of any kind on a Galaxy S4 - not even Edge. I'm west of my house quite frequently...almost daily, so T-Mo is out for me.

Apparently Sprint is the same way. When in semi-rural areas, the best bets appear to be AT&T and Verizon.
    JBoogaloo