Cigars and fine tobacco

oni_delsoni_dels Drunk French CanadianMontréal, Québec. Icrontian
Although bad for you (mostly you, underage), a fine cigar or a pipe of premium tobacco is an awesome way to end a rough day.
What do you smoke?
What do you do while you smoke
Where, how, when, why,etc.

I personally enjoy cuban cigare, mostly since i went to study-ish to cuba ages ago.

A glass of cognac, port or scotch is always welcome at the same time, although most ot the time i'll have a "specy"(read: spechy, aka special) beer(local microbrew). When my cigares are too dry or broken, i grind them and put them in a wood pipe, which i lit inly with wood match.
BobbyDigiMt_Goat

Comments

• CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    oni_delsmidga
  • I haven't smoked anything for years. However, when I used to do it in college it would help me think somehow. It seemed to calm my nerves. I'd always figure out difficult physics and math problems quicker if I had a cigarette.

I have been thinking about getting a nice pipe to basically just let sit on the side of my mouth when I run in to challenging programming issues. I don't plan to smoke with it, but it somehow would calm me I think.
    midgaoni_dels
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    UPSLynxoni_delsBobbyDigiMAGIC
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    I've never smoked anything inhale-able (my lungs are easily agitated by smoke), and I've probably only had 3 cigars in my entire life, but I did enjoy the cigars. I can definitely see where people appreciate fine cigars, i just don't know anything about them.

My cousin recently got into pipe smoking. He's mad e anew hobby out of it - he collects vintage and antique lighters and equipment and has learned the traditional method of packing and smoking the pipe. It's really awesome, and he let me try it last time I was hope and enjoyed the taste quite a bit. I could see myself getting into the occasional pipe to relax and unwind, it was a pretty fun experience.
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    Holts cigar company in philly is where I go 1-2 times ayear to get a dozen cigars.
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    Pipe smoking is great. Unfortunately, it hurts my teeth if I do it too often, so my pipes don't see much use. I've got a few great briar pipes that I absolutely love. Almost made my own once, but I didn't have a good work area so decided to hold off.
    oni_dels
  • RequitRequit That one guy Somewhere over there, I don't know Icrontian
    I use my churchwarden about once a month. I sit on my balcony and watch the night sky. There's just something incredibly therapeutic about the entire process of packing the bowl to the right density, lighting it with a wooden match, and then just watching the thunderstorms roll in over the mountains.

As for cigars, I only ever smoke them when I'm in Vegas.
    oni_delstrollUPSLynxSignal
  • oni_delsoni_dels Drunk French Canadian Montréal, Québec. Icrontian
    ^this, right there.
    troll
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    I get the impression that @troll has an incredibly relaxing life. You go, @troll, enjoy the hell out of fine things.
    trolloni_delsprimesuspect
  • MrTRiotMrTRiot Northern Ontario Icrontian
    edited September 2013
    If I smoke cigars I usually smoke these because I'm cheap. Russian vodka tends to go well with these

oni_dels
    troll said:

Simple pleasures of Coffee, Music and the occasional cigar brings a personal moment of peace to a hectic day.

World Off / Music On and relax. :)

that's pretty much what i do too. have a lil private terasse on top of my building, headphone and a bottle of booze with cigars, i can stay there for hours
    trollmidga
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited September 2013
    I roll my own cigars and have a bit different definition of what "fine tobacco" is, but it is all the same. It is good to enjoy the finer things in life when possible.

I have many apparatuses that I smoke from. One of my favorites and probably most relevant to this thread I have a White Wizard Pipe that @SugarCheryl gave me for my birthday one year. I have a little patio off of my bedroom that I love to go out and smoke and enjoy a beer or some scotch. I smoke to relax most of the time. Other times it is to highten an experience that I may have enjoyed in the past after smoking. I love to smoke and go to festivals. Really the only time I enjoy being in the sun.

Smook Smook.

-Digi
    oni_delsmidgaUPSLynx
  • trolltroll Windsor, Nova Scotia Icrontian
    Well @oni_dels if you are ever down this way on your travels. Be sure to let me know and we will enjoy a fine cigar together for sure.
    oni_dels
    BobbyDigi said:

Other times it is to highten an experience that I may have enjoyed in the past after smoking. I love to smoke and go to festivals. Really the only time I enjoy being in the sun.

Smook Smook.

-Digi

i see what you did there! many of my friends like to highten their experience, but i stay with regular cigars/ smokes/ cigarillo / tobacco goodness
    troll said:

Well @oni_dels if you are ever down this way on your travels. Be sure to let me know and we will enjoy a fine cigar together for sure.

sure, i'd sneak in cuban cigar or something. XD
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    I can think of very few things more relaxing than smoking a nice cigar, especially when accompanied by some fine scotch or brandy. I will also have a smoke with coffee or tea when the moment is right. Somehow I read much better while smoking. I couldn't say just why that is but I just do. My favorite cigars atm are Curivari selection privitada or cafe series, preferably in 60 or so ring size.
    Signaltroll
  • SignalSignal Icrontian
    Perfect end to the day is a Drew Estate Natural with a Dr Pepper on my back patio. Sometimes I'll go bold and go for an Oliva G. If I'm celebrating something I'll splurge and get a creamy white label Montecristo.

There is only one B&M in my town worth going to and they aren't open later than 6 which is when I'm in the mood to smoke, so sadly my smoking season is coming to an end. I don't smoke when it's hot enough to make you sweat or cold enough that you need more than a hoodie. For me, cigars are a relaxing escape. I savor the moments and take note of the nuances as the flavor profile changes from lighting to the first 1/2 inch to the middle to the last bitter bit where I'm trying to smoke the last of the cigar without burning my throat or my fingers. Those who have nubbed a cigar know what I'm talking about :p
    Mt_Goattroll
  • trolltroll Windsor, Nova Scotia Icrontian
    Very Nice!

My father had that exact same glass humidor and pipe stand. He passed it onto me years ago and it was passed on again when I gave up pipe smoking. Due to not being able to get any more "Irish Mead" tobacco.

Keep the puck in the lid moist and you should get many years use out of it.

:cheers:
    UPSLynxBobbyDigi
  • d3k0yd3k0y Loveland, OH Icrontian
    I am looking for a good cigar selection. My buddy's bachelor party is coming up and I am trying to persuade the best man into making is a classy damn thing (unlikely at this point). My goal is to get everyone to suit up and go to a piano bar, and chill out all max and relax all cool drinking some scotch and smoking some cigars.

I don't have a huge budget for it as I expect I will be fronting the cash for cigars and a decent bottle of scotch (learning toward SCOTCH WHISKEY LAPHROAIG QUARTER CASK SINGLE MALT SCOTCH 750 ML $64.99), and I need a decent cigar to go along.

Key-Point, I am not a smoker as well as a few others that will be there, but the majority of people are. I have no following the guide above and just nipping the end to shore up a full-body cigar, but I would like something that doesn't taste like the rear of the gorilla above this post. Now that may seem a bit difficult since I am not a smoker so pretty much anything with smoke will taste like just smoke, thus my conundrum.

Mid-Goal, I try to do that "local" thing as often as possible. Local brews, local foods, I know Kentucky has a decent tobacco crop, but very few places actually use Kentucky tobacco in cigars. Bonus points if you can find a Kentucky source in either producer or product. Kentucky Gentlemen Cigars sound like they could be pretty good, but from their website they only sell out of their own shop which is too far south for me to want to drive.

Oh, my price range is about 7-10 bucks a cigar, I can go over (a little) and just start charging people for them or just hold on to them until my baby is born if needed.
    Basil
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    I bring Butera to events and it always goes well. Smooth for the casual smokers, and pairs nicely with whiskey.
    MiracleManS
    I will see if I can find one and try it out.
  • SignalSignal Icrontian
    I'd suggest against full bodied for new smokers. Even amongst cigar smokers full bodied can be a bit much. Here is my suggestion for a celebration smoke.

Perdomo Reserve 10th Champagne

It says mild to medium, but it's more on the medium range. A very sweet and creamy smoke.
    The Names in parenthesis just have to do with length correct?
    Correct. The size is listed on the left, for example: Churchhill 7 x 54. The first number is the length of the cigar in inches. The second number is the ring size, this is measured in 64ths of an inch. So really the churchill is 54/64 inches.
    I stopped by my local tobaccoist (lol), and picked one up, looks like I grabbed the epicure. Cost about a dollar more than the site says, but eh.

midgaoni_dels
  • BasilBasil Nubcaek England Icrontian
    edited February 2014
    Nothing too flash, but I am really looking forward to when I next get the chance to enjoy one of these:
    I think I need to accept that cigar smoking just isn't for me. I finally got around to lighting that thing up and I can't say I really enjoyed it. It was lighter than some of the others I have tried, and I got one hell of a buzz off it for only smoking it for about 2-3 minutes, but I didn't feel very well afterward.