Return to Terraria (IT LIIIIVES! 1.2 Update Out)

BHHammyBHHammy Somewhere in Hell Icrontian
edited October 2013 in Gaming
So hey, do you guys remember Terraria? You know, that 2D pixel game that took the concept of Minecraft to the 2D plane and added a shitton of exploration, adventuring, and progression elements? You know...the entire reason (long story short) that the Ender Dragon and all of that stuff exists in Minecraft now?

I know that myself, @Canti, @UPSLynx, @Cola, and @SpencerforHire (RIP) played it. In fact, it was one of the few things I got to do (and I'm pretty sure I got to know him through it) with Spence before he left us.

Come the New Years and Christmas updates of last year, we'd played it so much and kinda were hitting aroudn the end of things, and I'd played it -so much- that I'd grown sick of it. And that's when we all learned the news- the 1.1.2 update was going to be the last one, as the team behind Terraria were packing up and moving onto another project.

Well, in the meantime, Terraria was taken over by a different company to help bring it to the consoles. Apparently it's been doing pretty well, actually. But today, update 1.2 dropped for everyone. After over a year and a half of inactivity on the PC, Terraria lives, again.

I decided to boot up the old IC world to check it out.

Ah, the old Terraria IC HQ. Not pictured- the abandoned Candy Cane Boss Arena project, above.

I've noticed right away we've now gotten a toggleable map/minimap, and the graphics have been spiffed a bit. A REALLY welcome change that I've found, is that chests are now DOUBLE CAPACITY.
Awww yeeeeee

And of course, who could forget all of our signs and tombstones.

Apparently the new update is nearly an overhaul, apparently tons of stuff has been tweaked, and I've even heard that there's new armors, and you can DYE ARMORS now.

And of course, the reason I heard about it in the first place, is a pertain pink partymeister has joined up as well~
SHE SELLS PARTY CANNONS

Given the fact that there's tons of new stuff apparently to go through, and since it's been so long, I really think we should get some folks together for some Terraria action in a brand new world.
primesuspectErrorNullTurnipPinkZanthianPirateNinja

Comments

• midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    I'll try the game again when I have a Steam controller to play it with.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    Thanks for the thorough post, @BHHammy :)
  • UPSHitmanUPSHitman The Big Nasty Indianapolis, Indiana Icrontian
    I might have to start playing this again.
  • MrTRiotMrTRiot Northern Ontario Icrontian
    This proves that you should never believe a company when they say they're not going to update anymore
  • PinkPink Colour Sweden Icrontian
    I effing love Terraria!
    Nice post @BHHammy, the party girl is just B-E-A-UTIFUL! I love that pink pony and now she will be my terraria wife! :D
    midga
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    I haven't really given Terraria a chance yet, but I've really been meaning in doing so. I'd be down to play this. I want to hide confetti in everyone's chests.

> also dickclowns
  • BHHammyBHHammy Somewhere in Hell Icrontian
    I'd certainly be up for getting together a group to play a world. It's been a long time since I played...I think I could finally be interested in it again.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    MrTRiot said:

This proves that you should never believe a company when they say they're not going to update anymore

To be fair, the original creators are not updating it. A separate company bought the IP, unless I missed something.
    midga
    edited October 2013
    Yeah , like I said above- the IP actually changed hands (to the best of my knowledge, it might have just been contracted out) to bring it to consoles.

Mind you- it seems to be having the intended effect- a lot more folks are playing Terraria again, and they're getting their friends that don't have the game to buy it to play with them.

I've been playing it for a bit- it really does feel fresh again. They've got new ores and fun little things to make, plus new art and new biomes and stuff, it seems. Plus they not only added -ropes- (finally, a safer way to climb and descend before you get hookshots), but you can actually put 10 rope pieces together to make a THROWABLE rope that lowers down a climbable rope to be used when it strikes something.
  • ZanthianZanthian Mitey Worrier Icrontian
    Tushon said:

To be fair, the original creators are not updating it. A separate company bought the IP, unless I missed something.

Actually the PC game is the original creator still, but the console and mobile versions are licensed by third parties to port and distribute.

• BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    If anyone wants to give Terraria a shot, It's only $2.50 on Steam for the next couple days

http://store.steampowered.com/app/105600/?20131015

-Digi
    ZanthianCBErrorNullTurnipBHHammy
  • PinkPink Colour Sweden Icrontian
    So... Is there a terraria server up and running that one might just drop in on? I currenlty host my own server and play with some friends, but if there is an icrontic one I'd love to be there :P
    Not quite yet. I've been doing a decent amount of hosting myself but it's for only groups of two or three. My comp isn't really the beefiest thing either, so really my saving grace has been a really awesome connection.