Valve files trademark for Half-Life 3

BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats !TX Icrontian
edited October 2013 in Gaming
Reddit Source | Original Neogaf.com Forum Post | Google Cache Mirror

OAMI Registration, Click that and enter Half-Life 3 in the Trade mark name field to see the registration for yourself. This is what is screen shots contain in the Neogaf Forum thread.

The original link is "down for maintenance" currently. Reddit effect.

Based on the fact that it is a trademark, that means Valve will have to use the trademark within 6 months but also can file extensions totaling 3 years. This may mean that Half-Life 3 will be out by the end of 2016.

-Digi
mertesnPink

Comments

• mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    So we can expect Portal 3 in 2020 or 2017 depending on which Half-life game (HL2 or HL2E2, respectively) Valve time for '3' is keyed off of.
  • BobbyDigi said:

Based on the fact that it is a trademark, that means Valve will have to use the trademark within 6 months but also can file extensions totaling 3 years. This may mean that Half-Life 3 will be out by the end of 2016.

-Digi

Do you have a citation handy for this part? Not trying to be a dick, legitimately curious.
  • mertesn said:

So we can expect Portal 3 in 2020 or 2017 depending on which Half-life game (HL2 or HL2E2, respectively) Valve time for '3' is keyed off of.

Did you factor in the period of time between Portal and Portal 2 in relation to Half-Life and Half-Life 2 as a possible scaling skew factor in these calculations?
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    ardichoke said:

mertesn said:

Did you factor in the period of time between Portal and Portal 2 in relation to Half-Life and Half-Life 2 as a possible scaling skew factor in these calculations?
    I did not. It was just some quick napkin math. Unfortunately my napkins are unable to do more complex math.
    JBoogaloo
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    ardichoke said:

BobbyDigi said:

-Digi

Do you have a citation handy for this part? Not trying to be a dick, legitimately curious.
    Yup

-Digi
    JBoogalooRyanFodder
  • They wouldn't dare release a new hardware platform without an SDK.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    ardichoke said:

BobbyDigi said:

-Digi

Reddit comments with sources. On whatever link I saw, it was top comment but this is to /r/gaming
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    Not going to get excited/believe until it's installing on my hard drive.
    primesuspectGnomeQueenSignalChooch
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited October 2013
    cjnlion said:

Half-Life trademark filing date: Nov 27, 1997 ... Release date: Nov 19, 1998
    Half-Life 2 trademark (filed as Half-Life) filing date: Feb 25 2005 ... Release date: Nov 14, 2004
    Half-Life 3 trademark filing date: Sep 29 2013 ... Release date: uh, maybe a year from now, or three months ago, this tells me nothing

I lol'd.
    PirateNinjaErrorNullTurnipRyanFodder
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    Six words in the title of this post. Six divided by two is three. HALF-LIFE THREE CONFIRMED.
    GnomeQueenmidga
  • Creeperbane2Creeperbane2 Victorian Scoundrel Indianapolis, IN Icrontian
    Gabe Dooooo Eeeeeeettttttt!
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    edited October 2013

I dare you to prove me wrong, Valve.
    See? Reverse psychology.
    UPSHitman
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    I will shit a brick if this really happens
    midga
  • JBoogalooJBoogaloo This too shall pass... Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited October 2013
    UPSLynx said:

Not going to get excited/believe until it's installing on my hard drive.

As someone who's read your passionate keyboard mangling about things on here, I call bullshit, LOL!! Yeah, it's hard to get excited about this small bit of news just to be disappointed again (let's hope not), but I'm willing to bet both my thumbs and a big toe that on the outside you're like, "yeah Valve? Whatevs..." on the inside it's all, "OMGITSREALLYHAPPENINGANDWHENITDROPSIMGONNARAINHAPPINESSSHITALLOVERTHISMOTHERFUCKINGLAND!" (<---Sam Jackson voice not included, but recommended for proper intent).

• d3k0yd3k0y Loveland, OH Icrontian
    BuddyJ said:

My body is ready.

Funny, it looks like your body is still getting ready.

• AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    This could also be a preemtive protective maneuver to head off some potential TM squatters. Granted, TM squatting for any appreciable amount of time is nearly impossible, as the laws are heavily weighted toward the original IP owners (for good reason), but it's still time and money spent on lawyers that could be better used elsewhere.

It's exciting news, but I'm in the @UPSLynx camp of "I'll believe it when it's on my HDD/steambox".

• It's exciting news, but I'm in the @UPSLynx camp of "I'll believe it when it's on my HDD/Steam MACHINE".

ftfy

I have massive levels of hope that they're going to launch this when the Steam Machines hit. Also, given the direction they've been going lately, I'd expect a Windows and Linux launch at the same time (especially since the Steam Machines are going to be running Linux). My body is so very ready that no gif can express the readiness of my body.

This comes close

Also, if I'm wrong, I always have alcohol. That never disappoints, amiriteguise?
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    Would you say...

PirateNinjaMAGICCreeperbane2
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    Damn, he found it on Reddit a full half hour before me. I'm slippin!

Source Above:
    Video game developer Valve is confirming that it is currently working actively on Half-Life 3 via its internal User Picker tool, which it uses to track projects and manage the personnel involved with them.

The tool is not meant to be seen by the public, but in a rare blunder, the secretive company has made it accessible and fans of the series were able to see new entries for both Half-Life 3 and for Half-Life 3 Core, which might be the technology associated with the new title.

Apparently, there are 46 people at Valve currently working on the game itself and another 10 linked to the Core project, according to Gematsu.

The studio might have deliberately offered outsiders access to its internal tools to confirm Half-Life 3 work without making an official announcement.

Recently, an European trademark has also been filed for the title.

Valve is also working on its own OS and on hardware.
    -Digi
    midga
  • One might say, full steam ahead? yes? hrm? ay chaps?
    midgaJBoogaloo
  • RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2013
    Edit: didn't read thread.
    edited October 2013

...but hopeful.
    BobbyDigiCreeperbane2
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    Until I see an announcement from Gaben I remain very cautiously hopeful.
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    Watch, this'll be the new Valve MMO.
    edited October 2013
    Spoiler alert:
    It's just Day of Defeat 2.
    Because I can't count to three, lol.
  • sharkydartsharkydart KY Icrontian

They wouldn't dare release a new hardware platform without an SDK.

...or a blockbuster launch title?! :rolleyes: