The Pokemon XY Thread

Comments

• CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    Is it safe to say that if I ultimately wanted one of everything, there's a way to do it? I understand that it may be something that's time consuming. For instance, I'm playing Y, so if I wanted the Mega Charizard from X, I could trade for it in some fashion? It seems like it might be a specific stone, so an item trade.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    Getting a Mega Charizard X requires more than breeding. It would require a game restart and a run to obtain a Charmander that holds the Charizardite X item, then trade that to Poke Y.
  • d3k0yd3k0y Loveland, OH Icrontian
    Cyclonite said:

Is it safe to say that if I ultimately wanted one of everything, there's a way to do it? I understand that it may be something that's time consuming. For instance, I'm playing Y, so if I wanted the Mega Charizard from X, I could trade for it in some fashion? It seems like it might be a specific stone, so an item trade.

The mega-evolutions I want to say come from the stone of the version, not the pokemon of the version? So if you get the stone from X, you get Charizard X even if you are on Y.

I might be wrong. But if I am correct, doing what I was doing last night for hours would be the cheapest way of doing it, if you want legit. I got a feeling people aren't going to want to part with their mega stones without a major trade.

That's what I expected. Just curious more than anything. I really loved the push to collect every Pokemon in the first game, so I was checking my options for this one. :)
    Still kicking myself that I forgot to attach the MegaStone to that charmander I traded before I deleted the save.
  • ChoochChooch K-Pop authority™, Pho King Madison Heights, MI Icrontian
    @Thrax is the man! Also X has Staryu!! Eat a dick Y!!
    Thrax said:

Some people don't quite understand the Pokemon Amie's main screen, either.

As you run around and see your pokedude emitting thought bubbles, that's what he/she wants you to do. If he's putting off hearts, little dude is hungry and wants some food to be happy. If little dude is putting off notes, play with little dude. Tap the Pokedude with your stylus and hit the appropriate cloud (e.g. play).

Also be sure to collect presents.

Also worth pointing out that "Fun" can be accrued by any of the pokemon in your party, not just your selected one. When you do the games and random ones are pulled in from your party, they get fun out of it as well. So I would suggest picking the one with the lowest fun as your selected 'Mon and letting the others get passively selected while you play, for efficiency and stuff.

• RahnalH102RahnalH102 the Green Devout, Veteran Monster Hunter, Creature Enthusiast New Mexico Icrontian
    edited October 2013
    Thrax said:

Also, what does this mean?

prevent my Nincada from lvling>evolving when I didn't have the extra space in my roster
    Extra (or rather shed) Evolution
    I realize now that if I wasn't ready for it I could have interrupted the evolution, but generally I don't ever do that.
    When Nincada evolves to Ninjask, if there is an empty slot in your party and an empty pokeball in your bag you'll get Shedinja as well. Two for one!

I talk weird. I'm sorry.

Also heck yeah Heracross and Tyranitar!
    Ah, right. Forgot about Shedinja's weirdness. You can always just give it an Everstone for a while. Thankfully there are no situations where avoiding evolution screws you out of an important ability. In fact, the evolutions almost always gain powerful abilities later than their unevolved counterparts. The primary benefit of evolution is base stats.
  • I'm at 6 badges now and I'll hopefully make it to all 8 tonight. I'm also going to try to trade for another Ditto and see if I can start breeding up Dittos.

As for the mega stone for Charizard, I think I'll be able to buy one later in the game since I didn't choose him as a starter. It'll be a Y mega but if someone's into that there you go.
  • Where do you find your friend code?
    From the home screen, click the orange smiley at the top. Then click your name, and your friend code will be in the top panel. I think it's also in the settings screen somewhere.
  • Thanks. Mines 2938-6319-3080
    Updated OP to include everyone's friend codes thus far.
    edited October 2013
    //edit: someone tell the Pokéfrench they have about 91 cafés too many.

• BHHammyBHHammy Somewhere in Hell Icrontian
    edited October 2013
    So I've got Pokemon Amie figured out, for the most part.

The way it works is, when your pokemon emits hearts, THAT'S actually when the Affection level is raising. These hearts are gained via Petting, and Feeding. When your pokemon sparkles a bit and starts leaping about and emitting a ton of hearts, that's how you know your affection has levelled up.

Feeding pokemon generates hearts, and the quality of the pokepuff determines how MANY hearts you get. As you feed your pokemon though, you raise their Fullness level, and once it's full, your pokemon won't eat anymore Pokepuffs. You can lower a pokemon's fullness with the passage of time (or perhaps steps, not sure), or you can play Minigames with your pokemon to lower it's Fullness quickly.

The Puffs are as follows-
    Basic Puff (Plain-looking, no Adornment) - 2 Hearts
    Frosted Puff (Plain puff, but with a swirl of frosting on top) - 3 Hearts
    Fancy Puff (Usually looks like it's got something stuck on top, like a piece of fruit or chocolate, or somesuch) - 4-5 Hearts

NOTE: As of right now, I don't think there's actually any effects to attempting to match up certain puffs to certain pokemon- the puff Quality seems to be the only affecting factor.

When you PET your pokemon in PLAY mode, you consume enjoyment points every time you generate hearts this way. The music note experession is basically the game's way of letting you know that you're out of enjoyment points, and you need to raise them up again.

Enjoyment points are gained in a number of ways-

-Taking steps with your pokemon active on the Pokemon Amie window (the traditional way)
    -Feeding your pokemon (the point gain seems to be marginal, but existant)
    -Playing Minigames with your pokemon (Which also lowers Fullness, meaning you can feed your pokemon more!)

The Minigames are a way for you to not only earn more pokepuffs to feed your pokemon with, but also a method for raising Enjoyment points to use, AND lowering Fullness much quicker than by walking. Playing the harder game difficulties nets you -better- puffs (meaning more hearts), and your performance in the games determines how -many- puffs you get. the game seems extremely lenient with your rankings- I usually have no problem getting 5-6 Fancy Puffs from playing Heads Up on Hard, myself.

Here's pretty much how my own general process goes~

-Go into "SWITCH" mode on Pokemon Amie before you go into PLAY mode to check on your pokemon's Fullness and Enjoyment.
    -Head into PLAY mode.
    -If your pokemon's enjoyment is filled up, pet it until it stops giving you hearts, and gives you a music note instead.
    -Feed it pokepuffs until it's full and doesn't feel like eating anymore.
    -Pet it some more to use up any remaining enjoyment points and get a couple more hearts til it gives you the music note again.
    -Play a game with your pokemon! This will use up some fullness, gain you more enjoyment points, and gain you more pokepuffs in the process!
    -Repeat the process as much as you like.

So to recap.

-Affection is the Level you should actually be concerned with.
    -You gain affection via farming hearts from your pokemon, either through feeding or petting.
    -Feeding pokemon gets you hearts and raises your fullness meter. Play minigames or take a bunch of steps to lower fullness. Better puffs means more hearts.
    -Petting pokemon gets you hearts, and consumes Enjoyment points when you do so. Take steps, play minigames, or feed your pokemon to raise Enjoyment.
    -Playing Minigames gets you pokepuffs (quality and amount depending on your Difficulty and Performance, respectively), lowers Fullness, and raises Enjoyment, allowing you to quicker use that to gain more Affection via petting and feeding.

ALSO, one other thing to note- the final level of affection can only be reached after your pokemon has levelled up twice.
    RahnalH102
  • Oh gosh. Pro tip: Don't try the hard puzzle game with multiple Pikachus (or any duplicate Pokemon) in your party.
    RahnalH102
    I've since been informed that I completely omitted the face-recognition thing where your pokemon will ask you to make a bunch of faces, and you gain free affection points from it. I didn't think to include it because I almost -never- use it, except when it starts up by accident.

The facial recognition game happens when...well, when the game THINKS you've been making faces at your pokemon for a bit, via the camera. You're then given 4 or 5 face chellenges and afterwards, you gain some hearts if you manage to do all of them (and the heart-wrenching, soul-crushing burden of your pokemon's disappointment if you fail). I barely use it because....well, the thing doesn't seem to work to well. It works ok for somethings, but other expressions such as opening your mouth to a certain amount, or winking, seems to be problematic. I suppose it boils down to the shape of your face (and probably whether or not you have facial hair), but in the long run, it's actually a much better use of your time to do the other methods.

I've also been told that there's another tier or two of puffs, apparently obtained by getting very high scores in the "Unlimited" Difficulty of the minigames.
    I-need-a-better-name
  • Yeah, I find teh other games boring but the puzzle game is actually fun for me. Apparently the yarn bopping game is worth the most puffs in the long run, though.

I've also had trouble with the face game. Either the game thinks I'm fugly and misshapen or it was kind of tacked on with some half-ass attempt at play testing.
    Just grabbed the sail fossil, but my lunch break ran out. Will be heading back to town this evening. Still need the female?
    Would be ideal, but evidently not urgent because of some changes they made to the being process in this generation.
  • He meant "breeding process". So here's what we need to really get some good breeding going:

Foreign Dittos
    Pokemon with the Synchronize ability and natures we want to breed for (synchronize increases the chance of finding wild Pokemon with the same nature)

Given these two things we can use Pokemon who are traded to us in game (like the Lapras) who have IVs we want and then breed those IPs to compatible Pokemon and THEN onto Pokemon we want.

The foreign Ditto increases our chance of getting shiny Pokemon. If we have a couple Dittos we can breed a few. They make breeding much easier. If the Dittos have a good nature or good IVs you can ensure that you pass them along to their offspring no matter the species. I'll write up a better guide of what I understand later but get those supplies if possible and we can start poppin' out the pokes.
    Okay, 26 tries, but I got a female. How do you want to do this? Trade to you for breeding or send a male over to me?
    I have a male I can trade you, but will be essentially unavailable until Friday night.
    No problem. I'm not in any particular rush. Just message me in some form when you're around.
    edited October 2013
    Hey, I've got a female Amaura (damn, that's a hard name to remember) now, as well. and oh my god she is the prettiest cutest damn thing horee sheeeeiiiit

Apparently it belongs in the "Monster" egg group, by the way, so if you've got any of the pokemon in the egg-list dropdown here, you don't need a ditto to breed one. I'm gonna put it in the daycare with a Rhyhorn, myself.

Also, I've experimented with switching the XP share off several times. Both times, I actually noticed no difference in XP gain to the pokemon I used, only that I wasn't also giving XP to the other pokemon. It literally IS free XP. Not only that, but swapping out pokemon does NOT divide the experience at all, it gives both pokemon 100%.

Nice to see that Soda in the game is still as OP for the price point as it was in other games, and now you don't gotta farm it one unit at a time from a vending machine- you can buy it by the dozen.
    edited October 2013

Face game in a nutshell.
    SOURCE

Also, he made this one, too, and it is just the BEST THING.

EDIT: Spoilered the images since they're fairly big and I didn't want to stretch the page on load.
    RahnalH102
  • IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    edited October 2013
    Friend code: 1478-4278-6927

Edit: The avatars scare me I miss the little sprites

Oh my god this game I feel like a kid all over again, 10 minutes in I'm catching everything!
  • RahnalH102RahnalH102 the Green Devout, Veteran Monster Hunter, Creature Enthusiast New Mexico Icrontian
    Hahaha Armstrong is always so fun.

So that's what that icon in the bottom was? I gotta try that now.

Added Ilriyas. Still waiting for confirmation from BHHammy, and Church. No have to if you don't want to.

Hahaha Armstrong is always so fun.

So that's what that icon in the bottom was? I gotta try that now.

Added Ilriyas. Still waiting for confirmation from BHHammy, and Church. No have to if you don't want to.

I think I am going to have to nickname my Machop, "Armstrong" and put him in all the beauty contests! Are those still a thing in Pokemon?