Knob Creek goes back to cork

Knob creek has listened to it's customers and ditched the screw top. Knob creek has gone back to the cork top. This may seem silly to people that don't partake in fine spirits, but I thought it took away from the bourbon "experience" every time I had to unscrew the plastic top. It takes away from the aesthetics of bourbon, especially Knob Creek. You just don't put a screw cap on 9 year old bourbon. Glad they have finally come to their senses.

Comments

• AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    Even if there's no technical or empirical difference in screw vs cork (in fact, the danger of getting a bad cork tips the scale toward screw-top), there is a premium perception associated with the cork.

Winemakers have been working hard to dispel the "Screw-top = cheap" perception because it's less expensive and more reliable to use them vs a cork.

But anyway. I like corked whisk[e]y, and I'll take the risk of getting a bad cork to get it.
  • There's something experiential about the squeak of a cork coming out of the bottle top. Even the synthetic corks that Costco uses in their spirits just changes the feel of pouring some out.

Objectively, however, screw tops win.

Regarding the screw top wines, I've heard that spoilage due to overseas shipping runs 10% in corked wines. This is virtually eliminated by the screw top.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    I think that if they did glass screw-tops with internal threads, it would be have the advantages of the screw-top, but not look cheap. Of course, that would be more expensive than aluminum screw tops.
    midga
  • That would definitely look and feel non cheap. Cool idea.
  • Would a glass screw top even seal properly?
  • d3k0yd3k0y Loveland, OH Icrontian
    Glass screw would also have to worry about whatever stupidly high friction coefficient glass seems to have, and shattering.
    I'm sure they could coat the screwpart with something to cut the friction and improve the seal
    I looked to see if anyone was already doing this, and I found that some wineries are using glass corks (non-screw) with plastic seal-rings. Not many use them because they cost almost a dollar apiece. screw versions would probably be even more expensive. I can't find any info on how much these glass corks prevent spoilage, but I would guess they do it well.
  • The glass corks remind me of decanter tops. I like it.

The winery I joined in Anaheim used natural cork of a high quality that cost them almost $1.50 per cork. I could see some low-volume mid to high priced wineries and distilleries moving to glass corks with a plastic seal if they could be had for $1.00 each.
    GHoosdum said:

natural cork of a high quality.

So, like: Not 'partical cork'?
  • Impractical and expensive. But I suppose at $30 per bottle sale price, they could afford a little excess in the cork.
  • I've started buying Bulleit Rye for my Manhattan enjoyment... it may be impractical, but I love the sound that cork makes when I pull it out of the bottle for the first time.
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    ardichoke said:

it may be impractical, but I love the sound that cork makes when I pull it out of the bottle for the first time.

#TWSS
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    I agree with the squeak of the cork, really adds to the premium feel of a high shelf beverage.

Thing is, this is kind of like the debate of beer in cans from years ago. For so long, everyone thought cans ruined beer in so many different ways. Today? 10 of last weekends Great American Beer Festival beers were offered exclusively in cans. Every new day, more and more breweries are turning to cans. Does it still feel cheap? Yeah, a little. Does flavor ultimately trump? For me, yeah. I love beer in cans.

I feel like the same thing could happen with corks in the long run. I think more and more people are beginning to realize the benefits of a screwtop, especially in wine.
  • You all realize Knob Creek is just really well marketed and overpriced Jim Beam?
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    You mean made by the same people but differently and older I believe.
    Even made it on "how it's made".
    Signal
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    ardichoke said:

I've started buying Bulleit Rye for my Manhattan enjoyment... it may be impractical, but I love the sound that cork makes when I pull it out of the bottle for the first time.

Bulleit Rye is good whiskey, but knowing that it's made at LDI, owned by Diageo, and is the same mash bill as any other 95% rye whiskey you'll find takes a bit out of the mystique (see comments here or article here). Of course, regular ol' Bulleit is made by Four Roses, so neither is made at a building that says Bulleit on it.

You'll be simply shocked to hear that their origin story is probably BS, according to random internet commenter guy.

Anyway, none of that really matters when the whiskey hits the glass. Either Bulleit is a great deal for the quality.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited October 2013
    1) I'm inclined not to believe random internet commentors, unless they have some serious evidence to back them up.

2) Bulleit is the only Rye whiskey I could find in the area that wasn't $50+ per bottle... and it tastes good... that's really all I care about at the moment :D
  • For half the price you can buy a bottle of Jim Beam black label, which is in essence the same bourbon aged one year less. Knob Creek is brilliantly marketed by Jim Beam as a way to get hipsters that would not drink Jim Beam to drink Jim Beam.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    If that's the case, it makes you wonder what the hell they were thinking trying to ditch the cork.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    I have a lot more respect for Jim Beam after visiting the distillery and taking the tour.
    Just because it's inexpensive doesn't mean it's crap.

I'm actually quite fond of Jim Beam and Jack Daniel's for when I want to whisk[e]y but can't money (or the bar I'm at doesn't have any good beer or whisk[e]y).

That being said, I still much prefer a Woodford Reserve, but WR never sent me personally numbered coasters in the mail (Knob Creek did this last week).
  • SignalSignal Icrontian
    How did you score that deal Alex?
    midga
    Liked them on FB and apparently signed up. It would have been a long time ago.
  • I like Jim Beam for the record. White mixes great, plus it's good in chilli. Black, to drink neat. Knob Creek is expensive black label. It's good, but it's marketed better than it is.

Why no cork? Because it's 2013? We are not cowboy's and pirates.

In all seriousness. If we were thinking is a logical and practical way.... All beer would be canned, wine would be boxed, and all spirits in a glass container would have a gasket sealed screw topper.
  • SignalSignal Icrontian
    I think you have totally missed the point of this thread.
    Tushonmidgaardichoke
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited October 2013

Why no cork? Because it's 2013? We are not cowboy's and pirates.

If Knob Creek is Jim Beam for hipsters, that's what I'm questioning: the rationality (brand self-awareness?) of getting rid of the cork in the first place. It's like ironic glasses for booze. Of course you can get rid of it. But there goes your target audience.
  • I'm not knocking it as much as I am saying there is a difference between perceived value and practical value.

They took the cork out because it offers nothing in the way of practical value. Knob Creek drinkers wanted it back because of a perception that somehow it adds something to the bourbon that justifies paying double for it.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    How long ago did Knob Creek switch away from cork? I seriously don't recall buying a bottle that didn't have one.

Also, TIL I am a hipster? Knob Creek is the only bourbon I keep on hand.