Win 8.1 update did a couple of dumb things

shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
1) Enabled stereoscopic 3d in nvidia drivers. That was a pretty rough game of league (had to restart the game to apply the new settings)

2) Messed up the drivers in some other way...when I plugged in my tv into the hdmi to stream some stuff on the tv, it slows down the pc to a crawl. I wiped the drivers and re-installed them last night, but I haven't tested it since

Anyone else have similar/other issues with the upgrade?

Comments

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    I've noticed a lot of slowness after the (second to last) update to Nvidia drivers, but I'm on Windows 7. I can't alt-tab out of league and do anything. It's literally like my computer is going in slow-motion. I believe I had an HDMI cord plugged in but not active at the time as well, so that's an interesting possibility. I should pull it tonight and see if it goes back to normal. Haven't tested since updating drivers yesterday. This will all be moot once @Thrax releases new video card instead of taking fashion photos with beards in Taiwan.
    primesuspectardichoke
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    Perhaps.
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    It took me multiple tries to get 8.1 to install correctly on my PC. It failed with various errors several times before I managed to get it to install. It installed on my laptop right away though.
    And I'll have you know it was Korea, you racist.
    Thrax said:

And I'll have you know it was Korea, you racist.

That should fill my subtle racism quota for the day.

Now I can feel Clint judging me.
    Mt_Goat
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    I now have 2 new problems:

3) corrupt graphics: I played alan wake last night and it looked like some of the in-game graphics were a bit off (vertical lines running through them). Steam text was also super garbled. After I got out of the game, all windows graphics were also messed up

4) after reboot/shutdown, my monitor has a black screen that only goes away when I un/replug the monitor's dport connection
    Have you tried clean re-install of latest drivers? (un-checking 3d crap to prevent that mess in the future)
    yes
    Figured, just checking :)

I guess the way to isolate and confirm it's a software issue beyond this is to test it under a live-boot CD that has stress testing capability. I believe with an Ubuntu live CD, you could test with the Unigen heaven benchmark or mesa-utils package (source), though you'd need to install the proprietary drivers and programs (obviously temporary)
    edited October 2013
    Well I had none of these issues before updating from 8.0 to 8.1

So I'm pretty inclined to blame it on 8.1

edit: to be fair i never tried playing Alan Wake on 8.0, maybe there's something related to that game in particular
  • If your steam text is messed up, can you try disabling directwrite in the steam settings?
    If that fixes it, then you probably have to wait for a new driver from nvidia that is a little more compatible with whatever directx api changes came with 8.1 (dx 11.2). Are you using R331?

This probably won't help, but I would try removing and re-adding your displays in device manager.

It basically sounds like you have to wait on a new driver from nvidia or roll back to 8.0.

If your steam text is messed up, can you try disabling directwrite in the steam settings?
    If that fixes it, then you probably have to wait for a new driver from nvidia that is a little more compatible with whatever directx api changes came with 8.1 (dx 11.2). Are you using R331?

This probably won't help, but I would try removing and re-adding your displays in device manager.

It basically sounds like you have to wait on a new driver from nvidia or roll back to 8.0.

will do this when i play a bit more tonight. I am running r331.
    NVIDIA GPUs aren't compatible with DX11.2 at the hardware level.

But the issues you're experiencing are pure driver bugs, not anything related to API levels.
    midgaTushonprimesuspectMt_Goat
    edited October 2013
    Thrax said:

NVIDIA GPUs aren't compatible with DX11.2 at the hardware level.

But the issues you're experiencing are pure driver bugs, not anything related to API levels.

Buy my shit™

ENHANCE! Ah there it is ;)
    midgaprimesuspectmertesn
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    shwaip said:

Well I had none of these issues before updating from 8.0 to 8.1

So I'm pretty inclined to blame it on 8.1

edit: to be fair i never tried playing Alan Wake on 8.0, maybe there's something related to that game in particular

I had no problems playing Alan Wake on 8.0 or 8.1 on my laptop (GTX 560M)
  • BHHammyBHHammy Somewhere in Hell Icrontian
    Welp, now I know to hold off on getting the new nVidia driver update til they fix this.
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    I tried to install Windows 8.1 but apparently having my Users directory on magnetic media with my boot volume on solid state is as bad as crossing the streams so Microsoft won't let me install the update.
    midga
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    I'm configured that way, but I had no issues updating to 8.1.
  • ChoochChooch K-Pop authority™, Pho King Madison Heights, MI Icrontian
    I am having issues installing 8.1 as well. Gives me the BSOD and then takes forever to try and load into windows. It just ends up restoring it back.
    Cyclonite said:

I'm configured that way, but I had no issues updating to 8.1.

What is the update procedure you used? I tried to install through the Microsoft store app and I failed the pre-install compatibility check. Note that the entire Users directory was moved, not just individual folders.
    Followed the same procedure, but I moved folder individually, as far as I remember. What did you do to move everything?
    Man this update seems to be highly variable in success across a wide range of configurations. Not too surpising i guess, but alway fun to have a little OLOL $$$M$$.

Or it could be that only whiners post things, so that's what I've been coming across.
    drasnor said:
    Ah, yeah. I don't mess with sysprep on my personal machines. Too many issues after the fact. Heh.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    this time next year you'll all be running Linux(SteamOS) for gaming anyways :D

Linux for gaming.

that just sounds so wrong
  • @shwaip are you on a laptop? What chipset is your gpu? Any luck with directwrite?
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    I had zero issues
  • BHHammyBHHammy Somewhere in Hell Icrontian
    Wait. Wait. I'm confused.

What in the hell is a Windows 8?

@shwaip are you on a laptop? What chipset is your gpu? Any luck with directwrite?

desktop, 780, I haven't had time to play since disabling directwrite. I'm out of town for a job interview/visiting my gf.
    I was able to install the Windows 8.1 update on my split-partition setup using the red pill/blue pill workaround. It goes like this:
    1. Create a C:\Users directory
    2. Enable the local machine Administrator account.
    3. Copy the Public and Default directories from wherever you have Users stashed now to C:\Users.
    4. Fire up RegEdit and navigate to Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfilesList
    5. Export ProfilesList and its subkeys to blue.reg.
    6. Go through each of the subkeys and change your Users path to %SystemDrive%\Users wherever it's listed (shouldn't take long).
    7. Export the modified ProfilesList and its subkeys to red.reg.
    8. Log out and log back in as Administrator to create the Administrator profile in C:\Users.
    9. Reboot to clear all file locks on your user profile.
    10. Log in as Administrator.
    11. Copy your user profile directory less any large dirs like My Documents to C:\Users.
    12. Log out and log back in as yourself. If your login craters you didn't get all the hidden files.
    13. Go to the store and install Windows 8.1 which will now install without complaint.
    14. Windows 8.1 modifies a lot of files in your user profile; it's easiest just to log back in as Administrator and copy Default, Public, and your profile back from C:\Users to your custom Users location.
    15. Merge blue.reg and reboot.
    16. Login as yourself and delete Default, Public, and your profile from C:\Users.
    17. Disable your local Administrator account.
    Next time Microsoft pulls this shit, all you have to do is enable Administrator again, merge red.reg, copy your profile over, patch, copy back, and merge blue.reg. It's bullshit but it works.
    midgaTushonMt_Goat