Thraxxxxx R9290X

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    Today is not the availability date of the 290X. Anything you've heard to the contrary is a stupid rumor.

The 290 Series will, however, launch this month. Count on it.
  • waxwax the neroberg Icrontian
    Well apparently I'm the king of misinformation.
    midga
  • waxwax the neroberg Icrontian
    edited October 2013
    $550 for the X.. $??? for the regular. NEWEGG Y U NO INSTANT SELL ME CARD!?

Edit:
    Thank you for ordering from Newegg.com.

Only 2 of the SKUs are active (Sapphire and XFX's BF4 bundles)

I went for Sapphire's as I have a fond memory of them sending me a bunch of LAN party swag back in the day.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    They'll take my money when I can get confirmation of which models are reference designs...this thing is begging for water cooling.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    mertesn said:

They'll take my money when I can get confirmation of which models are reference designs...this thing is begging for water cooling.

ditto ...a hydro version would be more efficient if they would use a good block with complete coverage. It would probably have to be remounted but could possibly shave a few dollars.

EK already has a block for the 290X but currently they only list a Club3D card as compatible, though they do list it as a reference design. Anything using the reference layout will work.
    In other news, I will likely have a pair of 7970s with water blocks (and their original air coolers) for sale :D
    @Thrax, any information on whether these will be included in Never Settle Forever (or something like it)?
    mertesn said:

EK already has a block for the 290X but currently they only list a Club3D card as compatible, though they do list it as a reference design. Anything using the reference layout will work.

Pardon my noobiness but how do you know which are reference design and which aren't?

I use EK's Cooling Configurator web site.

For 7970s, it was actually fairly straightforward: almost anything that had all of its outputs in a single slot was a reference design. Anything that had a second DVI port occupying the second slot was almost guaranteed to not be reference.
    All R9 290X are reference right now. All of 'em.
    mertesnTushonmidga
    edited October 2013
    mertesn said:

I use EK's Cooling Configurator web site.
    For 7970s, it was actually fairly straightforward: almost anything that had all of its outputs in a single slot was a reference design. Anything that had a second DVI port occupying the second slot was almost guaranteed to not be reference.

I've used that configurator before for my GTX-570. After looking at the Anandtech review I'm 99% convinced I will go with a R9-280X. R9-290X is really the shit though.
    Has anyone done a review of the 290X on water? My Google-fu hasn't turned anything up.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    I hope @Thrax is cackling right now (and was back then) about the whole $700 price point shit.
    As I said, speculative and predatory. :D
    midga
    Now Newegg just needs to actually have them in stock.
    Everyone has the same mentality. Check the other retailers. ;)
  • Is it realistic to say that these cards may some day have 3+ display ports?
    Partners could do it, but you could just get an MST hub. There are several in the market now.
    Thrax said:

Everyone has the same mentality. Check the other retailers. ;)

Nothing on Amazon or Microcenter. I even checked BestBuy! NCIX US has one brand listed for $620. I want to buy your shit!™
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited October 2013
    So, the R9 290x has no crossfire connector, but I have read that crossfire works fine through the PCIE 3.0 bus

Does Crossfire work on PCIE 2.0? There are a lot of 990FX motherboards out there.
    Got mine! Woot!

edited October 2013
    Tushon said:

Got mine! Woot!

You lucked out. Negg sold out on the first day.

I refreshed a newegg search page probably 100 times throughout the day today and got multiple "add to cart" only to find the product not there, but did finally get in with one on newegg just before posting.
    fatcat said:

So, the R9 290x has no crossfire connector, but I have read that crossfire works fine through the PCIE 3.0 bus

Does Crossfire work on PCIE 2.0? There are a lot of 990FX motherboards out there.

PCIe2 x16 bandwidth or higher is fine.
    Thrax said:

fatcat said:

PCIe2 x16 bandwidth or higher is fine.
    Nice. I'm impressed with the R9 290x. Not sure about the naming scheme, but whatev. Now just get me some 60fps 4K on a single GPU ;)
    @Thrax - am I right in assuming that the R9-290X & R9-290 are two different cards?

If so, what's the difference (besides price)?
    edited October 2013
    csimon said:

@Thrax - am I right in assuming that the R9-290X & R9-290 are two different cards?

If so, what's the difference (besides price)?

I can't disclose that information until the embargo ends, except to say that it's the slower of the two 290 boards.
    csimon
    Got my card in and installed along with a new 256GB SSD. Neglected to connect all my other HDDs, so I can't get all my shit working till tonight and then (light) benchmarking :D
    csimon