Dota 2 Tuesdays

WinfreyWinfrey waddafuhMissouri Icrontian
Starting this Tuesday I'm gonna be in mumbles and launching Dota 2 @ 7pm Central for anyone who wants to play Dota 2 with someone. Any skill level is welcome, we can just do some bot games if people just want to learn and get used to mechanics. The goal is to take some of intimidation factor out of playing the game so that we can have fun.

I hope to see you guys Tuesday

Comments

• MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    I would totally be in for this. I'm excited.
    Winfrey
  • IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    8 pm EST yeah? Totally in for this, Omniknight all the way!
    Winfrey
  • RahnalH102RahnalH102 the Green Devout, Veteran Monster Hunter, Creature Enthusiast New Mexico Icrontian
    "Tiny rolling out!"
    Winfrey
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    I was just mentioning this during an MvM match today. I would love to play DOTA2 with some IC. Unfortunately Tuesday is bad for me due to DigiKid's Soccer practice. Maybe after this week (Halloween the rest of the week) I'll shift some hard drive space around and get it installed and then maybe we can work out a day to play :-)

Play on Playas!

-Digi
    Winfrey
  • trooster89trooster89 Are you from London? Icrontian
    I'm in! But Get ready for my horrible feeding.
    Winfrey
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    We'll be on well past the 7pm start time if you have time later in the evening @BobbyDigi

Also for anyone who hasn't played in a while patch 6.79 did happen and it changed a lot so you might want to glance over the patch notes.
  • I'll join in. I've been looking for more people to play with.
    WinfreyRyder
  • RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian
    I installed and went through the tutorials. I feel like prior MOBA experience might help a bit, but learning the characters will be rough.
    Winfrey
    Yes there is a lot to know. I played Heroes of Newerth, basically a dota clone, for about 3-4 months during it's beta. That's where I cut my teeth on dota games. And I still know but a fraction about Dota 2.

What do people want to do? Bot games for mechanics and discussion or bapitism of fire with some pub matchmaking?
  • colacola part legend, part devil... all man Balls deep Icrontian
    I may be in for this, pending my workload isn't too hefty tonight.
    Winfrey
  • SignalSignal Icrontian
    Finding players for TF2 is becoming harder and harder, I need a new addiction. Anyone up for training a newb?
    Winfrey
    Depending on the number of players, we could split into two groups for bot games to start, then move to playing each other.

I know some of us have minimal experience with Dota 2, so we could try that.
    Yeah that could be ok. I'm leery of matching up against each other early on though. It tends to engender resentment and maybe keeps people from coming back. I'd suggest if enough people are comfortable to just do some 5 stack match making and learn from that.
    MiracleManS
    I'm with you there. I think starting with a bot game or two would be helpful, especially as a judge of how people are doing understanding wise.

It looks like we'll have 8-10 people joining in, so we might want 2 groups to start, then go from there.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    OP missed excellent opportunity for "DOTA 2sdays" pun.
    midga
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    I'm installing. If the TF2 Halloween event doesn't drop tonight, I'll hop on DOTA and see what's up.

-Digi
  • colacola part legend, part devil... all man Balls deep Icrontian
    I'll be in hopefully about a half hour late, I don't think that should be a problem considering the average game length. I would assume we'll be in mumble chat?
    Well hopefully that wasn't too rough an introduction. Let's do this some more! Next time beat the bots! :D
    MiracleManS
    edited October 2013
    I would like to do this again next week. We can't be bad forever!

Thanks @Winfrey for organizing this.
  • SodaSoda Ann Arbor, MI Icrontian
    Yeah I'm a dota 2 vet having logged more hours than I'm going to admit, so I am super duper in for this, and hopefully can help teach. Sadly tues is a fairly bad day for me before like, 10pm eastern =(, but I suppose that's only about 3 games. So I'm in after that, but I like, play all the time so I'm up for impromptu groups whenever anyway.
    Soda said:

Yeah I'm a dota 2 vet having logged more hours than I'm going to admit, so I am super duper in for this, and hopefully can help teach. Sadly tues is a fairly bad day for me before like, 10pm eastern =(, but I suppose that's only about 3 games. So I'm in after that, but I like, play all the time so I'm up for impromptu groups whenever anyway.

I know @Winfrey and I were on for at least one game after 10pm eastern. I'm also up for impromptu if you're willing to put up with my bad.

Soda said:

I know @Winfrey and I were on for at least one game after 10pm eastern. I'm also up for impromptu if you're willing to put up with my bad.
    I have actually had several friends start playing from scratch recently, oddly enough, so I'm kind of used to it. It's all good, I was a really slow learner when I started playing, so most people I see are still better than I was when I had played as much as them.
    Yeah I'll try to be on Dota 2 more see if more people want to play some pick up games. I was surprised how well our 5v5 game ended up. @Marshmellow plays a pretty good tinker.
    MiracleManS
  • IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    edited October 2013

Played another game as Treant Protector. Think I'm getting the hang of him, I got a ton of complements from the enemy team on being virtually unkillable in team fights and running a decent support lane. (I'm not sure if this is an isolated incident but Dota players seem a helluva lot nicer than League)

When the enemy team is not comprised entirely of high damage carries Treant fairs far better in fights. A lot easier to keep yourself and teammates alive when Living Wood doesn't dis-spell the second it gets cast.
    MiracleManS
  • RahnalH102RahnalH102 the Green Devout, Veteran Monster Hunter, Creature Enthusiast New Mexico Icrontian
    When I was studying him before, they recommended a lot of auras since he does stand tall for awhile. His abilities just seem to make him an all around good support/gank/initiator.
    The real reason treant is so good, and why he is picked in pro games, is entirely for his living armor spell. His ult is handy, and he has some utility, but he isn't that amazing late game. What he does guarantee is that you win EVERY lane early game. Oh, there was an exchange mid, and they both got away at low health? Here's living armor, now go tower dive and get first blood. The damage reduction from it is just soooo good at low levels that it's nearly impossible to get killed in lanes with him on your team, because he'll just drop the oh shit button from across the map. You can still get ganked of course, because that's a lot of focused burst damage, but that should be mostly avoidable in general. Also it's great at keeping your towers up, and early towers are a REALLY big deal (gold, vision, map control, etc).

So yeah, to make him relevant later, you just stack team buffing items =), but that's not really enough to sway a team fight if they have lots of farmed carries. The point is just to make sure that never happens by demolishing every lane early on.
    edited October 2013
    His living armor was nerfed pretty significantly in the last patch which is why he's played a lot less. He's really annoying to play against still though. I don't like playing as him though, maybe he has some possibilities as an offlaner now with your invis if the enemy team doesn't spot you sneaking into lane. You could possibly quelling or tango into some trees get a quick level 2 from the nearby wave or pull camps and then spam living armor to your hearts content from relative safety.

I remember trying to rush the equivalent of radiance on him back in the HoN beta for some pub stomping. Invisible tree of burning.
  • RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian
    Yea, I think I'm going to stick with LoL / any other game ever.
    Tushon