Data Usage Tracking Program????

vanagon40vanagon40 Indiana Member
Long time listener, first time caller . . . .

Well, not quite, but I am an infrequent poster, except when I have a problem.

The short question is whether there is an application or program that will identify my data usage through my WI-FI.

The long explanation is that I live in the boondocks and have no access to DSL, cable, or satellite (I guess I do have satellite access, but no subscription). At the first of this year, we signed up for a data plan through Verizon for shared usage of 8G data for our WI-FI (Verizon Jetpack 4G) and multiple smart phones. The WI-FI is used by my wife’s laptop, my desktop, and a wireless printer. We had no problem keeping within the data plan for the first six months. However, in the past few month, I have been getting huge blocks (e.g., 1.5G) of data usage on random days.

I believe I have isolated the large blocks of data usage to my desktop. During the first six months of the year, I would leave the WI-FI connected to the desktop and even leave my web browser (Mozilla Firefox) open. There was no problem. But in the last few months, I started getting data usage blocks of approximately 1.5G. I cannot correlate the data usage to downloading movies, streaming videos, or any other activity. It appears to be random. I do not intentionally download huge files from my desktop (I try to update applications such as itunes at work; I also try to update my iphone apps when connected to free WI-FI. In other words, I have been frugal with my data usage).

By disconnecting my desktop from the WI-FI, I have lessened, but not eliminated the problem. So my questions is whether there is any way to identify exactly what website or program is causing these huge data usages.

I believe there is virtually zero possibility that my neighbors (who are too far away) or strangers have hacked my password protected WI-FI. The huge blocks of data usage are from the WI-FI, not from one of the smart phones sharing the data plan.

Any suggestions?

I can download a spreadsheet of the exact data usage if someone believes it might be helpful.

Comments

• d3k0yd3k0y Loveland, OH Icrontian
    Do you use a router? Some newer routers will come with a data logged and limiter actually. I noticed it when I got my new router a month ago, I can actually tell it to cut my connection after a certain amount of traffic so I don't hit my limit (if I had one). It also has an IP tracker on there so you can see what devices are connecting to your network.

As for a program to show itemized traffic reports on your network, I am not aware of one, but I am not an IT guy.
  • AranyicAranyic Casstown, OH Icrontian
    edited October 2013
    It won't help with the phones but with respect to your desktop and wife's laptop I have always used netlimiter. I have not used it in probably 5 or 6 years but it would track and log what programs accessed the internet and how much they transferred. You could also limit specific programs speed, data caps, etc with it. In the past they would always have a 15 or 30 day free trial which should be enough to find the issue. http://www.netlimiter.com/
    midgaBandrik
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    You can do it one of two ways: at the router or on a PC that is between the router and the internet. Examples include looking in your particular router model to see if traffic analysis is supported, dd-wrt (a custom router firmware), or using a PC-based router.

The last option would look like this:

Internet > modem > PC w/ traffic analysis and routing software > (wireless) router > other devices

The simplest solution will hopefully be built in to your existing router, so can you describe your current setup, including model numbers where applicable?
  • vanagon40vanagon40 Indiana Member
    Aranyic--Net limiter sounds like exactly what I am looking for. I have downloaded it and will install it soon (leaving early for a long weekend and my son's wedding, so it may have to wait til next week).

Tushon--My WI-FI is a Wireless Verizon Jetpack™ 4G LTE Mobile Hotspot 890L. All devices use the wireless connection to the WI-FI. My system looks like this:

PC --------------------\
    Laptop ------------------ WI-FI ---------------- Internet
    Other devices -------/
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    Hmm. I assume there are no network ports on the Jetpack then.
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    edited October 2013
    Ah, the blessing and curse of living in a nice remote location. I know the feeling when vacationing. My family has the 3G version of that Verizon gadget.

I'm not familiar with NetLimiter, but you could try installing to both your PC and Laptop to monitor them. There's probably a smartphone app to track all data usage (including wi-fi). I use one for tracking mobile data called 3G Watchdog, but it doesn't log wi-fi usage that I know of.

For your network usage spike, there could be a few sources. One could be a program that auto-updates (such as Steam, for example. TF2 updates alone are big on data). Another could be the effects of a virus -- be sure all your devices have anti-malware software, that they're up to date (both virus definitions and the program's overall version), and then do a manual full scan. I also recommend getting the free version of MalwareBytes and running a manual full scan (the free version doesn't auto-scan, so you can use it without conflicting with your existing anti-malware software).

One last option: in theory you could funnel your data wirelessly from the Jetpack to a wi-fi router with DD-WRT or Tomato (replacement router operating systems) installed on it. The router would act as a repeater or bridge. Other things would then connect to the router rather than the Jetpack. I don't know if the extra radio interference would be a problem and it's not the most efficient solution, but it would definitely wrangle ALL your devices at once, and would offer an extra layer of protection against outside attacks thanks to the router.

Hope that helps, and I invite comments to sound off against mine as I'm not a networking expert.
    SignalJBoogaloo
    I thought I had this under control, but apparently not. I installed NetLimiter on my desktop on November 4, but did not enable any "limiter" options. I simply wanted to track and view my usage. There had not been any data spikes since October 27. I have been disconnecting my desktop from the WI-FI when not in use.

UNTIL this morning. Caught another 1.32 GB data usage entry. Checked my NetLimiter log and there is no corresponding usage. NetLimiter shows total usage of around 81 MB on the 16th and 30 MB today.

My question is does anyone know how fool-proof NetLimiter is? Can I safely rule out my desktop as the source of the data usage? I just installed NetLimiter on my wife's laptop. If it is not my desktop, it must be a wireless printer (do not see how it could use that much data), my wife's laptop, or a stranger to the system.

• AranyicAranyic Casstown, OH Icrontian
    Does your wife's laptop have any sort of automated remote backup through carbonite, Norton, anything like that?
    Aranyic said:

Does your wife's laptop have any sort of automated remote backup through carbonite, Norton, anything like that?

None that she is aware of. I guess we'll find out with NetLimiter