[BLOG] Culture Shock - my World of Warcraft experience

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited November -1 in Community
I made a weird impulse decision today:

I'm going to try World of Warcraft.

Now WAIT - before you start guffawing, hee-hawing, or facepalming, hear me out! This is for work, I swear! :p

I have avoided WoW like the plague. I have avoided most MMORPGs like the plague since I beta tested Final Fantasy XI back in 2003. I had a three month experience that drew me in, despite the fact that I wasn't really enjoying myself that much, and when the beta ended, I bailed. I did not get into the retail release because I felt it would have probably taken over my life.

I had heard about WoW when it first came out.

Then I watched as it grew, like an amoeba, and started doing actual harm to online communities and friends.

Then I watched as it took longstanding, active members away from IC for good. We have literally lost people who used to be very active members.

All that time, over the years, I kept hearing bits and pieces of WoW talk - about Pallys and Grinding and DPS and all these terms that I had never heard. I realized it has become a part of internet culture.

I can't call myself a maven of internet culture if I don't do this. I have to immerse myself in this as I would immerse myself in any new culture. So, pretend your brave Papa Prime is going off to Iceland or Morocco or Bangladesh for 10 days to find cool things for you.

I am downloading the 10 day trial as I write this. I am going into this as a COMPLETE noob, I have purposely avoided WoW culture, so I don't know anything. People have already suggested classes and servers and tips on how to level faster. I don't want any of it! I'm reporting from the front lines as someone who is as an infant to this world.

See you all in 10 days.

Comments

• SliquidSliquid Neverwhere, Michigan Member
    yikes, talk about taking one for the team. good luck.
    we'll see you on the other side.
  • As much as people put down WoW for the things it has done to people (or more correctly, for what people have done because they couldn't get away from the game), it really isn't all that bad. Just go in with an open mind and take it for what it is, a game designed for people to play together as a way to take a break from everyday life.
  • NecropolisNecropolis Hawarden, Wales Icrontian
    Wave bye to your spare time. I managed to get away for 3 months before getting sucked back in. Trying to get my Blood Elf paladin alt to 70 before WOTLK hits but with my bad wrists I can only manage 1-2 hours at a time but I am going to do my best to get there.

If you get into it you will enjoy it. Make your own mind up on it and dont let anyone tell you otherwise.
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    You should try EQ2 instead.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    EQ doesn't have the culture value that WoW has. WoW is a whole nation unto itself, and I want to live there for 10 days. :p
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    Just say no.
  • Gate28Gate28 Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    GL! your going to need it next time you walk into a mall and see it there and prevent yourself from buying it and you not becoming prime and becoming some "ektoplass the Nogginsmasher" person. =p
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    EQ has just as much if not more of a world and culture that WoW does. EQ2 also has a huge world and culture, it's just not as popular, because people are dumb.
    lol.
    And here we go
    PirateNinja
  • JBoogalooJBoogaloo This too shall pass... Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    Necro and time appropriate...well played ;D
  • SignalSignal Icrontian
    Damn, that first post read like:

I made a weird impulse decision today:

I'm going to try Crack.

Now WAIT - before you start guffawing, hee-hawing, or facepalming, hear me out! This is for work, I swear! :p

I have avoided rocks like the plague. I have avoided most hard drugs like the plague since I trail tested weed back in 2003. I had a three month experience that drew me in, despite the fact that I wasn't really enjoying myself that much, and when the beta ended, I hit rehab. I did not get into the street market because I felt it would have probably taken over my life.

I had heard about crack when it first came out.

Then I watched as it grew, like an amoeba, and started doing actual harm to communities and friends.

Then I watched as it took longstanding, active members away from IC for good. We have literally lost people who used to be very active members.

All that time, over the years, I kept hearing bits and pieces of smack talk - about pipes and spoons and tealights and all these terms that I had never heard. I realized it has become a part of internet culture.

I can't call myself a maven of internet culture if I don't do this. I have to immerse myself in this as I would immerse myself in any new culture. So, pretend your brave Papa Prime is going off to Iceland or Morocco or Bangladesh or Amsterdam for 10 days to find cool things for you.

I am buying a 10 bag as I write this. I am going into this as a COMPLETE square, I have purposely avoided drug culture, so I don't know anything. People have already suggested dealers and pimps and tips on how to base faster. I don't want any of it! I'm reporting from the front lines as someone who is as an infant to this world.

See you all in 10 days.

Seriously though, I dabbled in WoW for a while, but never could get on the level my friends were at with it, which was probably good because two of them failed out of college because of their addiction.
    RyanFoddermidga