Any gain going from Tbred to Barton in F@H

Ultra-NexusUltra-Nexus Buenos Aires, ARG
edited June 2003 in Folding@Home
Hey there!

I`m wondering how much of a difference does the extra 256kb of cache makes at the same real clock as a Tbred in folding performance...

Any one knows? Any articles about this?

Thanks

Comments

• mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited June 2003
    I dont think there is any real performance gain in FAH. Its mainly outright mhz, FPU, and any opmizations used.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    the largest benefit is from the fact that they run cooler. My 1.4 tbird is at 1.6 (1.85V) and runs 50c. I have an XP running at 1.55 (1.70V) and 36c. both with AX-7's and the same fans.
    The fold speeds seem to exactly track with the speed.

Hey for $40 I'll take the lower heat levels.
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited June 2003
    My Production seemd to increase....
    edited June 2003
    With the same CPU speed? Can anyone test that. Does anyone have a Tbred and a Barton that are the same speed so they can test the same WU and see how it performs.
  • edited June 2003
    One Barton chip over a Thoroughbred is not worth it. The increase in points is due to gromacs with higher point values that take pretty much the same amount of time to fold - which if you have a few 2ghz machines will boost your weekly average to a noticeable point. I've had the same machines for a while with one going down for a week every now and then and my points per week at least doubled in the last two months. Doubled and I did nothing extra. This has been the trend since F@H went 2.0
  • leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    edcentric said
    the largest benefit is from the fact that they run cooler. My 1.4 tbird is at 1.6 (1.85V) and runs 50c. I have an XP running at 1.55 (1.70V) and 36c. both with AX-7's and the same fans.
    The fold speeds seem to exactly track with the speed.

Hey for $40 I'll take the lower heat levels.

your answer doesn't seems to relate to the question, he was asking about barton and tbred, not tbird and tbred.
  • DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    You are also going from a 266 to a 333mhz fsb when you go to a barton.
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    it seems to me that folding is a simple program...and all that matters to it is pure number, or mhz....I could be wrong...but it makes sense to me
  • LawnMMLawnMM Colorado
    edited June 2003
    DanG said

I thought the barton's were doing 400mhz? Thats really only an advantage if you don't OC the tbred...
  • Ultra-NexusUltra-Nexus Buenos Aires, ARG
    edited June 2003
    No one with a Tbred and a Barton at the same raw speed to do some testing? :scratch:
  • edited June 2003
    it would be like a Tbred vs. Tbred+100mhz
  • a2jfreaka2jfreak Houston, TX Member
    edited June 2003
    I asked a similar question in another thread.

I think that if the memory used exceeds 256 then the Barton can help, so long as 512K isn't greatly exceeded. If the data currently fits nicely into 256K then there will not be much/any difference.

Anyone know if F@H fits inside the L2 of the T-Bred(B)s? Or does it take a Barton? Or does it overflow both?
  • DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    LawnMM said
    DanG said

I thought the barton's were doing 400mhz? Thats really only an advantage if you don't OC the tbred...

It depends on how new it it, my barton 2500+ is a 333, but the new 3200 is a 400. I'm not sure about the rest of the bartons though.
    edited June 2003
    Ultra Nexus said
    No one with a Tbred and a Barton at the same raw speed to do some testing? :scratch:

Thats what I am asking?