The Starbound Thread

Comments

• d3k0yd3k0y Loveland, OH Icrontian
    Alright, it took a while. But I got it working, linux is hard.

I am not sure how it starts everyone off, I am guessing the same world which I don't actually care for, but whatever.
    oni_dels
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    I'm thinking about waiting for the weekend to start messing with it. When I do I'll jump on the server. Thanks for hosting, @d3k0y :D
  • TheRedburnTheRedburn Spaceman K Detroit, MI Icrontian
    I'll check it out after school.
    Looks like everyone starts on the same planet, but those daring enough can easily jump to the 3 other planets in the system, two threat 4, one threat 6.

That is if you want to try to learn at your own pace. I tried it, and died horribly by the first thing I came across.
    midga
    edited December 2013
    Does anybody mind if hop to the level four? Also, do items transfer when they're in the characters inventory?
    Actually, do you mind telling me the climate of the level fours?
    Snow and Moon for the threat 4's. I don't mind, I do have a few non-Icrontians playing on there as well, but I doubt they care either.

As far as I am aware your inventory and ship transfer with your character.
    Okay, sweet. Thank you
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    Playing around on the planet, trying to figure out what to do.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    Did a bit of digging and exploring near the spawn in D3k0y's server. Formed some opinions. I'll relate them after I sleep.
    midga
    Server went down last night for a bit with the new update, it is back up again.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited December 2013
    So, I really like almost everything about the game. It's really hard not to constantly compare all the features to Terraria and/or Minecraft, but it's easy to say that I like the combination they chose for most features.

The crafting system is a bit obtuse, and could really do with some Terraria-style simplification. Requiring the player to actually activate the crafting furniture required for the specific item, rather than just be near it, is a bit sillyface.

The health system is odd. I understand wanting to go more 'core' by not having health regenerate slowly on its own, butthe way the system works now, all it really does is require an explorer to carry a bed around everywhere, and build little underground campsites, which are a boring waste of time. The need to eat is stupid. There is no game ever in which needing to occasionally eat has improved the experience.

Worst is the controls. The way weapons swing, bows fire, tools are selected and used, all of it needs a lot of work (not to mention that one can not yet customize controls, one of the most egregious sins of game design). Luckily, this is the part of the game most likely to improve over the course of final development. I would particularly like to see the addition of a Terraria-style 'context sensitive action' button. I got used to that playing Terraria over the last few months, and I like how much it streamlined nearly every activity.

All the rest of the stuff (The concept, the world designs, the races, the monsters, the random events) I really like what I've seen so far, and I think Terraria 2 is going to have a challenge on their hands if they want to beat out Starbound for the distinction (in the hearts of fans, at least) of being Terraria's successor.
    TheRedburnmidga
    @CB You can also make bandages to regen. health, but I totally understand where you're coming from. I hate how slow it regenerates while you sleep... Luckily, the new update will totally rework the weapons system, so that's something to look forward to.
    I went to the desert moon around the main planet and found a cool abandoned Apex base. I took a few of the signs and put them in my ship since I am an Apex.
    edited December 2013
    Also, I went to the other planet in our system and found out the desert moon is actually an abandoned USMC prison planet taken over by the inmates. That was pretty fun to clear out. I got a ton of various weapons so if anyone needs a melee weapon hit me up. I was sad that through all the prisoners who were shooting at me with various guns, that not one of them dropped for me.
    edited December 2013
    So, just found this out. While in the Star Map screen, right clicking will zoom out. Hope this helps somebody, because I kept clicking find random to get around...
    Yep. Took me awhile to figure that out too. Gold is crazy rare. I can't upgrade my armor until I find some. I have the winter leather armor which is surprisingly the best armor rating I can make.
  • PinkPink Colour Sweden Icrontian
    edited December 2013
    This game seems cool, I personally think it was a bit pricey though... Saw it costed 13€ during the sale, which imo is a bit much considering you can usually pick up Terraria for 2.5€ during most sales and even when it's full price it doesn't reach that high a number.
    Compared to AAA games that is a steal, and I've been having as much fun with this game as I have had with any. The sheer enormity of the universe is amazing. I've still only managed to explore 2 or 3 worlds, in the 10+ hours or so I've put into the game and there are a crazy amount of systems in the universe to explore. I've found a USMC Prison Planet and an Avian Temple. Both were pretty massive and it was really cool to clear them out.
    So, the new update is out, and many new things have been added. One of them is animal taming, and I can't figure out how to do it. I've looked all over the internet, but alas, no luck. Have you guys figured it out?
  • I've tamed a few animals with my bow and arrows. They cook up really nicely.
    TheRedburnRahnalH102ErrorNullTurnip
    edited December 2013
    I have rainbow cape. Guys. Best planet
    oni_dels
    Getting ready to fight tier one boss. I hear he's hard, so I made a little stronghold away from home. I'm scared...
    oni_dels
    edited December 2013
    So, if anybody was curious, you can't tame creatures until tier three, after you kill the undead dragon. There'll be an item you need to craft (in your crafting bench). Happy Taming!
    I guess I need to update the server?
    Tis updated
    TheRedburn
    Starbound is updated again. I decided to build a house on the spawn planet. Feel free to use what you need, but try not to be greedy.
    I've fought both the Level 1 and Level 2 bosses, the Level 1 boss was by far the hardest because he does a ground pound like thing and it smashes through whatever terrain you might have built up. The Level 2 boss does no such thing but he almost always oneshot kills you if he actually hits you.
    I beat the tier 1 boss, working towards tier 2 now. Found a planet COVERED in Apex labs, so that sped up the process