League of Legends anyone?

Comments

• shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    Oh cools. I will totes trade skins with people who are cool.
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    edited October 2013
    UPSLynx said:

I don't like DOTA 2 :/

I'm curious why people think summoner spells are a negative to league. I think they're an awesome strategic addition. I know people whine about flash and that it's OP and broken, but I think that's dumb because everyone has flash, and I love the escape mechanic it adds. Harder ganks? So what. The strategic layer is getting players to burn it early for better ganks later.

Part of it is that it becomes a requirement to have a movement enhancement spell because they are available. The large majority of people take Flash + 1 more (barrier or ignite) with a smaller contingent taking Ghost + 1 (again, almost always barrier or ignite...with the occasional exhaust).

Dota/Dota 2 do have a flash equivalent, but its a fairly expensive item (http://wiki.teamliquid.net/dota2/Blink_Dagger) which means it's an even more strategic decision about whether or not to pick up the item (item slot need, the fact it has no stats, and the 2150 gold cost).

Most of the mechanics available as summoner spells are available in Dota/Dota 2, but they're attached to items, meaning that it's not just picking a spell, but also knowing whether said thing is worth taking up an item spot.
  • RahnalH102RahnalH102 the Green Devout, Veteran Monster Hunter, Creature Enthusiast New Mexico Icrontian
  • RahnalH102RahnalH102 the Green Devout, Veteran Monster Hunter, Creature Enthusiast New Mexico Icrontian
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    Welp.

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/en/news/esports/esports-event/2014-world-championship-heads-south-korea

It was fun watching the finals here in LA while it lasted. now the All-star game AND finals will all be held over seas. All we get now is the US qualifier matches. Cool. Thanks Riot.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    It's almost like the game is played by millions and millions of people in other countries ... I can't do any real research due to work firewall blocks on gaming sites, but I would guess that a not insignificant number of players reside outside the US.
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    Or they just know where the people who will win the tournament live and planned appropriately.
    IlriyasTushonRahnalH102cola
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    EU/KOR scene is much better than NA at the moment, about time they had their chance to get home field advantage.
  • colacola part legend, part devil... all man Balls deep Icrontian
    edited November 2013
    Preseason announcements, holy shit this is gonna be good.

They highlight how they plan on reducing snowballing and overall improve the flow of the game, it looks like they really put some thought into next season.

http://preseason.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/index.html
    Now I want to try a fully built Sanic Rammus-Revive-Ghost + Max AP Lulu's new whimsy + Max Level Zilean + New Sivir's ult + ... you get the picture. I'm not sure of the optimal team for it though.
    Maybe for a full teamwide effect: Sivir, Karma, Rammus, (the coming reworked)Rengar, and maybe Lulu, Zilean, Jayce, Orianna, or ... I don't know, there is a lot that could go here. Formula I'm thinking of though is 3 speed buff champs + 2 self-buffing champs. Rammus, soon-to-be Rocket Rengar, or Hecarim seem to be best for the latter.
    http://na.leagueoflegends.com/en/news/game-updates/patch/patch-314-notes?ref=rss&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Interesting tweaks to Gragas, they're trying to make him more of a brawler than a long range barrel sniper. Might be harder in early game laning with the reduced ranged, but the bodyslam tweak is going to be AWESOME for teamfights.

Also, pretty happy about the Nasus adjustment.
    So far I find the vision changes compelling. Also, Mage Supports OP
  • RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian
    That update is ... crazy. Game changing.
  • PreacherPreacher Potomac, MD Icrontian
    I need training...ARAM training!
    edited November 2013
    Holy crap, this amazing ELISE THE LEG MASTER cosplay:

edited November 2013
    That's gotta hurt after a day of that. Nicely done though.
    Since the new playmode Showdown will be here soon, do we want to do anything with it? Namely an Icrontic 1v1/2v2 Tournament or something along those lines? Figure that might be entertaining to participate in or watch.

Unrelated:
    Horrible, bloody, crude, offensive humor ensues, but you play a MOBA so you may be used to some of it.
    edited December 2013
    So I hit 30 about a week ago and have been paying attention to who I've been matched up against in LoLKing. My MMR, I guess, has been seating me with Gold/Silver III+ players (I realize there are a TON of variables that might be causing this).

I was happy to see how well I've been playing, relative to how Riot feels I'd be given these matchups - but the absolutely deflating feeling of realizing that these players are just as angry, naive and generally unfriendly as the sub-30s is awful.

I know the community is hailed as one of the worst, but man ...I guess I just am coming to the crushing realization that the post-30 games wouldn't be as bad. The last month's 'work' is kind of a waste.

Wish I'd gotten into this game when everyone was playing, originally - depending on 4 other ICers vs. SoloQ would be nice.
  • RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian
    Ranked is not worth the progression IMO - such a caustic community gets way worse when they think they "have to win!" or "else!"

ARAM is where its at with the community - I am usually surprised with how easy going people are there.

riot hates me
    cola said:

riot hates me

You should know the mummy has no friends.

He also gets no LP when he wins at 99
    cola said:

He also gets no LP when he wins at 99

Supposedly that only happens if your personal MMR is lower than the lowest person in Gold (I think? Or is that only in Diamond/Challenger?)
    edited December 2013

That was the next game I played, then I lost the following one, -3 LP. Fuck you Riot. I don't give a shit where my mmr is, I've been earning 2-4 points per win ever since I got into Gold 1, I've been fighting to get to that series for ever.
    I do agree. I think they need to be a bit more explicit with the LP system. Especially since it's not actually build LP until you get to 100.
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    Gratz Cola! :cheers:
    I happened to spectate that last match, was a crazy one. Definitely earned it. Congrats again Cola!
    Grats man! That's awesome!