Thinkgeek reveals TF2 Chess.

oni_delsoni_dels Drunk French CanadianMontréal, Québec. Icrontian
you read that right.
it's here

Comments

• BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited December 2013
    As with most things TF2 this also comes with a Hat. The Grandmaster Hat. Because this code comes with the set, there are no returns on the set.

The Grandmaster is a hat with a hologram of a chess piece above it. It starts out as a Pawn and upgrades or downgrades based on your kill streaks.

Also the hats on the pieces are swappable so there isn't really a class to piece distinction. You can setup your team however you want.

Also $100 :(

Side note: Am I crazy or was the set $120 earlier?
    Edit: I still may be crazy but there are multiple references to $120 price tag in the Facebook comments on the product page.

-Digi
    oni_dels
  • oni_delsoni_dels Drunk French Canadian Montréal, Québec. Icrontian
    BobbyDigi said:

Also $100 :(

Side note: Am I crazy or was the set $120 earlier?

-Digi

PRODUCT PRICE
    -17% $119.99 $99.99
    from valve store...
  • oni_delsoni_dels Drunk French Canadian Montréal, Québec. Icrontian
  • A quality chess set with this kind of novelty is easily worth $100. I'd chip in $10 to get one for ICHQ.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    That is basically awesome.
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    A $100 TF2-themed chess set that happens to come with a matching hat...

...or a $100 chess-themed TF2 hat that happens to come with a matching chess set?
    MiracleManSmidga
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited December 2013
    https://scontent-b-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/q77/s720x720/1471767_596104783777837_2138797460_n.jpg

^ since fb doesn't allow hotlink and I don't have it up any where else right now.

The set is enjoyable to play on because there is a dense felt bottom to all the pieces, though it would have been a tiny bit nicer if there was some pad or a thicker felt. The hats don't necessarily fit on all of the figures and on some they don't lock into place very well. But as a novelty set it is fun to play with and watch as the medic queen runs around defending his pyro king while the soldier/demo knights jump all over the board dealing pain.

The hat that comes with this is pretty cool because as your kill streak goes up the icon displayed on the hat changes.
    oni_delsmidgaBobbyDigi