Bitcoin / Litecoin mining, anyone doing it?

Comments

• TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    edited June 2013
    I caught another lucky break today. The defective Gigabyte board re-started its RMA process today, and I mailed it back for free and they are sending another one 3 day shipping, or so they say.

I almost bought a dual-GPU slot Intel OEM motherboard on eBay, the seller gets them in 10 packs right from Intel. Asking $60 each. But I held off to think about it, and I'm glad I did.

I called a PC repair shop I know of and was telling him about the problems. He wasn't sure, but when I asked if he had any multi-GPU motherboards available, he said he has a load of 50 desktop PCs coming in next week. 480-500 watt power supplies, ATX size cases, Asus motherboards with dual GPU slots, Core 2 Duo E7300 cpus, and DVD burners. I can have as many as I want for $60 each, :D and all I have to do is add ram, hard drive, and GPUs! And extra power supplies.

I'll go look at them when he gets them in, he said next week sometime.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    I'm going to find this rather entertaining.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    I want to see a copy of last month's electric bill and one when everything is running.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    And then there was this.
  • Creeperbane2Creeperbane2 Victorian Scoundrel Indianapolis, IN Icrontian
    Yes, but at the current Bitcoin exchange rate that car only costs 100 bitcoins
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian

"But" what?

If you went in there with the equivalent in Euros / Silver / Gold / Dinar they would still take it. What does the exchange rate have to do with it?

-Digi
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    I'm not sure if anyone dabbling with Bitcoins back in May had ANY idea that they would be worth over a grand each before the end of the year was up. Those that did, apparently are now driving nice cars. =P
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    Bandrik said:

I'm not sure if anyone dabbling with Bitcoins back in May had ANY idea that they would be worth over a grand each before the end of the year was up. Those that did, apparently are now driving nice cars. =P

Tim, what are you driving?
    TushonJBoogalooardichoke
  • Creeperbane2Creeperbane2 Victorian Scoundrel Indianapolis, IN Icrontian
    BobbyDigi said:

"But" what?

If you went in there with the equivalent in Euros / Silver / Gold / Dinar they would still take it. What does the exchange rate have to do with it?

-Digi
    Simply useless trivia, nothing more
    csimon said:

Tim, what are you driving?

A 2013 B&Wagon.
    RyanFodderGHoosdummidga
    edited December 2013
    Bandrik said:

At one point (I forget how long ago), BTC was trading for $3/BTC. The difficulty rate was (comparatively) absurdly low. A coworker stopped mining because the exchange rate was just covering his power bill for the extra computing power. He's kicking himself now.

For lulz (and with @thrax's prompting), I'm testing one of my rigs as an LTC miner.
    GPU0: 1100/1575 (BIOS max), 1.170V (not yet adjusted), 555Kh/s
    GPU1: 1100/1650 (BIOS max), 1.170V (not yet adjusted), 565Kh/s
    GPU2: 1100/1850 (higher RAM speed crashes), 1.170V (not yet adjusted), 568Kh/s

Current average rate: 1683MH/s
    Mining rate per day/month: 0.58/17.35LTC
    Given the current exchange rate is around $29/LTC, I could expect a gross of around $500 per month. Of course this assumes the exchange rate holds and doesn't account for difficulty increases.

Edit: I should also add that this is a water cooled system, and the hottest GPU sits around 68C with 22.2C (72F) ambient.
    With a bit of manual tweaking I was able to push beyond what Catalyst Control Center would let me use for settings. Any higher settings than these cause problems for me (still on stock voltage).
    GPU0: 1150/1800, 590-605Kh/s
    GPU1: 1125/1800, 584-600Kh/s
    GPU2: 1175/1800, 613-625Kh/s

Average rate: 1781Mh/s
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    You should be able to drop your voltage, standard for 7000 series is undervolting because the real driver is memory speed. Difficulty is only going to go up. Looks like it works out to about two retargets a week.
    _k_ said:

You should be able to drop your voltage, standard for 7000 series is undervolting because the real driver is memory speed. Difficulty is only going to go up. Looks like it works out to about two retargets a week.

Yeah, I've been doing some more research and, with the help of Google and Excel, it looks like a Core/RAM ratio of 0.6 produces the best results.

GPU 0: 825/1375, 578-593 Kh/s
    GPU 1: 990/1650, 692-708 Kh/s
    GPU 2: 912/1600, 630-640 Kh/s

For some odd reason, GPU 0 so far runs best at 825/1375. Anything higher and production drops. It's weird, but my data backs it up.

GPU 1 and 2 seem to respond well to higher RAM speeds. I'm still looking for their maximum stable rates.
    Think I've figured out why GPU 0 acts the way it does... It's the last GPU in the loop (yes, I know it's the stupid way around). Everybody is sitting at 78C, so it may be a heat throttling thing when that one goes faster.

...I should probably get some better fans.
    ...and maybe a refrigerator.
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    If you were going to use today's exchange rate as your spot rate, how quickly would you break even... electricity costs included?
    I'd ballpark it at less than four months when using purchase price for every part at the time of purchase. I've had the CPU for around three years. I've had the motherboard, RAM, and two of the three 7970s for well over a year, along with the water cooling equipment. I bought a third 7970 on Ebay recently thinking one of the GPUs wasn't working (turns out Sapphire's cooler was too heavy for the card) for far less than retail and before the prices spiked again. I purchased the third water block and backplate recently to add the third GPU to the loop.

Factoring in electricity costs ($0.11 per kWh), I'm profiting about $17.59/day at the current difficulty rate.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    How much would you make if you just sold your 7970s and bought nvidia cards and that give you equivalent gaming performance?
    edited December 2013
    shwaip said:

How much would you make if you just sold your 7970s and bought nvidia cards and that give you equivalent gaming performance?

On eBay it looks like anywhere from $300 and up for auction value. Let's call it $1000 plus whatever I could get for the water blocks.

NVIDIA equivalent: 2-3 GTX 780i. Cost: $1400 plust water blocks

Result: I'd lose money on that deal instantly.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    You would also lose because BTC/LTC mining is way more optimized for AMD hardware (OpenCL).
    Yeah, there's that too. It'd take 5xGTX 780i to match. Not sure how many Titans or Quadros (Quadri?) that translates to, but NVIDIA just can't hang with the mining crowd.
    The point wasn't really "can you make more money from ltc with nvidia than amd", it was "hey, maybe it would be more $ efficient to not-mine (no paying for electricity) and just upgrade your video cards".
    That's how I understood your question (and how I answered it). Tushon brought up the side benefit of mining, which widens the gap even further. It would be way too expensive to switch at this point for equivalent gaming performance and for a while I'll be able to recoup the cost of hardware until the value of LTC plummets.

Yeah I actually though you'd be able to get more than that for the 7970, as i saw a few 7950s going for $400. (All while rueing the fact that I gave Laura my old 7950)
    mertesn
    The values I pulled were from a quick ebay auction search. The buy it now prices are retarded.

(Steal that card back and give her something else.)
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    -I 13 -g 2 -v 1 -w 256 --lookup-gap 2 --gpu-engine 1041 --gpu-memclock 1720 --gpu-fan 50-100 --thread-concurrency 8192 --no-submit-stale
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited December 2013
    How much are you guys netting at those Kh/s rates? I found a neat little LTC calculator that factors in electricity costs, and I'd lose about $2 per week by mining (with my HD7750 I was able to run at around 50 Kh/s average).
    edited December 2013
    GHoosdum said:

How much are you guys netting at those Kh/s rates? I found a neat little LTC calculator that factors in electricity costs, and I'd lose about $2 per week by mining (with my HD7750 I was able to run at around 50 Kh/s average).

A handy tool
    Thrax said:

-I 13 -g 2 -v 1 -w 256 --lookup-gap 2 --gpu-engine 1041 --gpu-memclock 1720 --gpu-fan 50-100 --thread-concurrency 8192 --no-submit-stale

-I 13 -g 2 -v 1 -w 256 --gpu-engine 825,1005,1005 --gpu-memclock 1375,1675,1675 --thread-concurrency 8192
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    With the market slumping right now.....MINERS STAND FAST!