Bitcoin / Litecoin mining, anyone doing it?

Comments

• _k_ said:

With the market slumping right now.....MINERS STAND FAST!

Look down, look down, you're mining in your graves.
    JBoogaloomertesn
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    Which calculator did you use @Ghoosdum?
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    @thrax, for lulz, what's your hash rate at 825/1375 and 1005/1675?
    @mertesn
    825/1375 = 571 Khash
    1005/1675 = 684 Khash
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    So i've been screwing around with this and have not found a good solution to this yet. I'm using CGMiner as well and when I launch it, runs fine, fan ramps up (up to maximum eventually, settles card at 75C), 800-1000+ Khashs going strong. However, if I quit within CGminer, my computer just instantly restarts (segfault is the correct term, I think), no BSOD. If I close the window itself, the computer is okay, but the fan stays at max speed instead of ramping down with temps. @mertesn, are you experiencing anything similar? If not, where did you get the "client" that you're running cgminer through?
    edited December 2013
    I downloaded CGMiner from here.

As for the restarts, I haven't seen that. Same with the fans, but I'm water cooling the GPUs.
    Yeah, I downloaded from that official source as well. 3.7.2 is apparently the latest that supports GPUs. I think 3.8.5 is focused on ASIC devices.
  • Thrax said:

@Thrax: Here's the calculator I found.
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    @Tushon how are you using CGminer, post your start-up script. I am guessing since the fan gets stuck at that setting you actually set your options from within the client instead of launch options, move it all to a bat with launch options.
    mertesn
    GHoosdum said:

Thrax said:

@Thrax: Here's the calculator I found.
    $60/mo to $200/mo, depending on the calculator I use ($60 for the one you linked).
    It's all in the bat. I've set nothing inside the program itself.

[code]
    setx GPU_MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT 100
    setx GPU_USE_SYNC_OBJECTS 1
    .\cgminer-3.7.2-windows\cgminer.exe --scrypt -o stratum+tcp://us.ltcrabbit.com:3334 -u username -p password -w 512 -g 1 --auto-fan --thread-concurrency 32765 --intensity 20
    [/code]

the settings i chose were a combination of several others recommended for the 290x.
    Remove "--auto-fan". Turn on verbose logging and start working your intensity down, there might be errors thrown that aren't being written to the display.
    Okay, I'll look at it tonight. Thanks!
    edited December 2013
    Found this on reddit and it made me think of OP, couldn't think of a better place to put it.
    mertesnTushon
    Man if all of these AMD GPUs would be on our folding@home team they sure would help us out and all especially since a single 7950 does 90k+ ppd with the new client flags.
    PirateNinja
  • @_k_ what are the client flags? I run my 7950 overnight 2-3 times per week.
    Slot options. Name = "client-type". Value = "beta".
    Right, just to be sure you're clear: only adjust the slot option, not the overall client options.
    shwaip said:

How much would you make if you just sold your 7970s and bought nvidia cards and that give you equivalent gaming performance?

mertesn said:

On eBay it looks like anywhere from $300 and up for auction value. Let's call it $1000 plus whatever I could get for the water blocks.

Thanks to a massive spike in mining, the difficulty rate has increased to the point where GPU mining without a large farming rig won't be profitable for much longer. Also LTC mining ASICs are on the horizon. Thus the experiment has ended and the GPUs were sold on eBay this morning for a few dollars more than what I paid for the setup. Add in the money made from mining and I've made a healthy profit :D
    GHoosdumRyanFodderErrorNullTurnip
    Or you could've switched to Dogecoin, CHNCoin, Lottocoin, etc.
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    Thrax said:

Or you could've switched to Dogecoin, CHNCoin, Lottocoin, etc.

Coinye is the future.
    Dogecoin is actually going to be interesting in the next month when their block rewards are cut in half.
  • Someone explain this to me. I've read about it a little, but are the computing cycles used for mining utilized somewhere on the grid so they have an actual value to another entity so you are actually earning the virtual coin in some way? How does this work? How does it make any economic sense at all?
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited January 2014
    1) No. You're just hashing numbers. It's not like F@H where things that are done are actually useful.
    2) They introduce artificial scarcity by making it harder to hash the numbers as more people get involved, and as more coins are mined.
    3) Heh

{BTC|LTC|...} have value because people believe they have value, and because people believe that value will increase in the future**. It appears that the vast majority of people are using them as a very-high risk investment vehicle. BTC true believers think that BTC will become the currency standard in X years. At that time, their current investment of $RHODEISLAND will be worth $GERMANY, and let's not talk about what happens in between, or any possible drawbacks to having a currency that is:

Unregulated
    "Anonymous*"
    Deflationary
    Highly Volatile

While seeing benefits that they believe will not change:
    Anonymous*
    Distributed (until someone owns too much compute power)
    Unregulated (specifically untaxed)

*Anonymous: this is always touted as a benefit to BTC, until someone gets ripped off, then they want their money back. Also, this is not necessarily true, as if you're buying goods, you have to ship it somewhere. Ask the drug dealers from the silk road how well it worked for them.

**It appears that right now, BTC is being used mostly as a speculative investment, but some people want it to be a currency.
    Cliff_Forster
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    and imo the most telling thing right now about BTC is that the vast majority of people that accept it for legit payments aren't interested in holding on to it. For example, in the tesla purchase, they accepted $TESLA worth of BTC (with a guarantee that the could sell them for $TESLA USD), sold them for $TESLA worth of USD, then gave the guy the car.

They didn't then use the $TESLA BTC to buy parts from their suppliers, because why would they want BTC that they couldn't use to pay their workers/suppliers.
    As I explained to @petesmom when she asked what I was doing, it turns fake money into real money and nobody really knows how.
  • @Shwaip - If I could give you a double helpful I would.

Fascinating, so it's really some guy's dream to overthrow the central bank's with play money or a terrorist plot to get everyone to overload the power grid...

I'll just sit on the sidelines and watch. Baseball cards and comic books are probably a better long term investment.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited January 2014

I'll just sit on the sidelines and watch. Baseball cards and comic books are probably a better long term investment.

Go for guns and classic cars instead!
    Cliff_ForsterCreeperbane2
  • IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian