Sony Xperia Z

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
So this is available on T-Mobile now.

I was very interested in this phone when they announced it at CES 2013, and now it exists. Is this my next One Phone To Rule Them All™?

Thoughts? I can get it for $19.99 right now, and tack $20 on to my bill every month. Since I just killed all of my extended protection plans (thus yanking $40/mo off my bill) I am VERY, very tempted to push butan.

Comments

• fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited September 2013
    GS4 is a better phone. It's $49 with code WEB50 until midnight. also the Xperia Z1 will be availible pretty soon.
    http://www.t-mobile.com/

or you can wait for the Galaxy Note 3. Pretty much the best of the best. It even records in 4K
    http://www.t-mobile.com/cell-phones/samsung-galaxy-note-3.html
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    I don't like the feel of Samsung Galaxy phones. Nicole has one and I'm just not a fan of the Samsung design language. The Sony is hottttt though.

Differences between Z and Z1?
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited September 2013
    According to this link the Z1 is faster and has a better camera. It also runs a more recent version of Android.

Also, dat Note 3. Unf! Gotta wait two weeks to get it though.
    Oh shit christ the Z1 is WAY better. That's significant enough that I'm going to wait. It should be here soon. PLEASE T-MO. SOON.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2013
    Tmobile SGS4 = Model# SGH-M919, XperiaZ = C6602 Yuga (for future research purposes should anyone be so inclined)

Xperia Z has a better display.

Both have MicroSD.

S4 has a marginally better CPU.

They have identical GPU performance.

Camera performance is similarly average.

Both are easily hackable.

You'll probably believe Sony has a better build quality.

S4 has LTE, should TMo ever provide a capable LTE network.

S4 has 802.11ac support.

S4 is slightly shorter and narrower.

Identical thinness.

Verdict: S4 if you care about wireless connectivity, Xperia Z if you care about look'n'feel.

Xperia Z1 trumps all of the above in core hardware. State-of-the-art shit. LG G2 and the Galaxy Note 3 are the only other known devices in this category. G2, Note 3 and Z1 stand at the top of smartphone mountain as undisputed champions.
    That G2 is pretty compelling but the design is so bleh. Looks like the SG everything / all other android phones. I love the Xperia's design language.

Any word on when the Xperia Z1 is coming to T-Mo?

(Confused about LTE... T-Mo has had LTE in Detroit for months..?)
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    edited September 2013
    I've been eyeing the Z1 for a few days now. It's a sexy beast. Also check out the Xperia Z Ultra, which is more Samsung Galaxy Note 3 in size and function if that's your thing.

Release date: as of yesterday, Sony still hasn't announced exact release date or an official list of carriers for the US (other countries have it already, like the UK and India). It's expected to be late this month but who knows.

The Z1 is sexy beyond belief. Waterproof and dustproof design, high-end specs, 20 megapixel camera that takes pretty good low-light shots, and looks purdy.

Only bummer: I'm on Verizon (on my family's plan so I won't switch) and it's probably not heading our way.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    Dallas has also had LTE for a decently long time.
  • RyanMMRyanMM Ferndale, MI Icrontian

That G2 is pretty compelling but the design is so bleh. Looks like the SG everything / all other android phones. I love the Xperia's design language.

Any word on when the Xperia Z1 is coming to T-Mo?

(Confused about LTE... T-Mo has had LTE in Detroit for months..?)

Technically, ALL of the Z1's will work on T-Mo, it's just that you'll have to buy it elsewhere unlocked and pay full price up front.

If I'm not mistaken, T-Mo's using 1700 for their LTE band, so theoretically this puppy should do the trick. I would wait for someone else to confirm that though.
    edited January 2014
    Got my Z1s today :D
    This thing is a beast. Fast as hell, gorgeous display, and dat waterproof. Give me all the tech specs you want, but having a mostly waterproof phone is a HUGE yes.

The difference between the stock Z1 and the T-Mobile version (Z1s) is that the Z1s has 32gb of storage, the camera has been moved, and the headphone jack has been moved. Also, the T-Mobile app suite.

I love the Sony Playstation integration as well.

Either way, very happy I waited. This phone is gonna carry me for quite a while.
    ChoochBandrik
    Sony's performance in 2013 is the standard by which all other companies should be judged when evaluating a portfolio turnaround. They've done incredible things with the Xperia Z family.
    BandrikGnomeQueen
    Outstanding choice, and I hope she serves you well. And yes, dat waterproof. I'm jelly.

I like my Samsung Note 3, but if I wasn't tied to Verizon (on a family plan; lack of T-Mobile coverage in areas I frequent) I would be snapping this up on T-Mobile as well.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    Nothing like that feel of a new phone. I feel like formatting mine just to have that feeling again.
    edited January 2014

"8==D"

• SignalSignal Icrontian
    Serious question: What is the appeal of a waterproof phone?
    edited January 2014
    For me, it would be...
    1. Peace of mind - one less thing to worry about
    2. Underwater photos - the camera app has a mode for this

Water damage is a real threat to electronic devices. Think of all the times and places that could get you soaked. Bad weather, passing car hitting a street puddle, spilled beverage, party fouls, water rides like the "log ride" at Cedar Point, boating/kayaking, washing clothes with the phone still in the pocket (I know 2 people that did that) etc etc etc. You don't have to expect your phone to get wet but it's nice to not have to cry if it does.
    primesuspect
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    I had a water foul when I first moved to Florida. I went swimming and forgot that I had my phone in my pocket. I jumped in the pool and remembered that I had it there as soon as my feet left the pool deck. Slowest cannonball ever. A waterproof phone would have been fantastic.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian

Bandrik
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    That's pretty much what it felt like. It was like that scene in Star Wars. Nooooooooooooooooooo.
    Peace of mind
    DETROIT, MI - Area resident Brian Ambrozy recently got a new Sony Xperia Z1 smartphone from T-Mobile, a fact that he repeatedly mentioned several times in recent days on various social media networks he participates in.

'Seriously, guys, this phone is the shit', he was seen to say on one popular social networking platform recently. 'I can't believe how fast it is, and have I mentioned that it's waterproof?', he continued, as fewer and fewer of his friends 'liked' his posts.

According to Les Orchard, an acquaintance of Brian's, he was becoming dangerously close to hiding Brian's posts, if not unfollowing him entirely.

'I do think that he needs to shut up about the goddamned new phone already,' said Orchard. 'It's like... we get it... you got a new phone, which is something thousands of people go through every single day in the modern world. Congratulations, you're a regular person. Jesus Christ.'

Apparently the negative feedback hasn't swayed Ambrozy from continuing on his glowing posting spree. 'For fucks' sake I can submerge my phone in water' read a recent post. 'Oh, good for you, assface' read one tired commenter. 'Fuck off. Must be nice to have money, cock', said another.

We'll have more as the story develops.
    PirateNinjaJokke
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    And in other news, water is wet. Weather @ 11.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    This "primesuspect" chode keeps posting shit about some asshole Ambrozy's new 'waterproof phone.' What a fuckwit, nobody gives a shit. Go DIAF, Ambrozy fanboy.
    Annesprimesuspect
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    Chode, now that's a name I've not heard in a long time.
    primesuspectSnarkasm

That time my phone was waterproof...

UNTIL IT WASN'T.

0.jpg 44.2K
    edited April 2015

Soooo... WaterFPO?