Mechanical Gaming Keyboards (megathread?)

Comments

• If a decent mechanical keyboard has always seemed out of budget Newegg has a few amazing deals going on Rosewill models. Rosewill plate mounts the cherry switches, but what's interesting to me is that super inexpensive alps copy board called the striker. It looks a lot like an alps copy board I have under the ABS brand. It's a good feeling switch but it's incredibly loud when you bottom. I kinda like it, but my wife didn't.

If you always wanted to try mechanical switches vs. domes, and the keyboard even has macro software it's only $42 right now after you apply promo code EMCPWGW84. Here is a link to all the keyboards that apply that 20% off.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=PPSSPTMGSKLBOU&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL013114&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL013114-_-EMC-013114-Index-_-IO-_-LCWC
  • SignalSignal Icrontian
    @Midga send me your address. I will send you the keys sometime next week after I've had time to play with them. I've already decided the blues are out, too clicky for me.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    Would you mount these at the ends of your armrests?
    Cliff_Forster
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    After a week of using it for typing and gaming, I definitely feel the heavier key press during our WoW raids, but love it for typing. (browns).
  • I haven't used it a lot, because I don't have a lot of time to game these days, but I'm definitely loving the feel of the switches. Also, the backlighting. As someone who likes to sit in the dark while he games (makes it easier to be an emofuck), the backlit keys are tops. The macro keys are taking some getting used to. It seems I was subconsciously using my pinky to hone in on the left edge of my keyboard. The extra column of keys has caused me, on a few occasions, to shift my hand to the left an extra column.
  • I had a brain fart....

Okay engineers. How difficult would it be to manufacture an adjustable key-switch? Imagine utilizing software that sends a signal through the PCB to change the tension of the spring and perhaps engage or disengage the tactile feedback?

Can it be done?

Can we name it after me?

Do I get a cut?
  • I am not an engineer, but that sounds like the kind of thing that would be EXPENSIVE AS HELL to make.
    primesuspect
  • I didn't say it can't be done, I said it would be expensive as hell. Bit of a difference there.
    Cliff_Forster
  • I'm just teasing....

But really Icrontic, this is my dream. I'm going to build it, you saw it here first.
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    We know, we know - even if you didn't you'd still claim the idea and ask for credit.
    Cliff_Forster
  • SignalSignal Icrontian
    Well we can all take solace in the fact that we know what color the variable resistance keyboard is going to be.
    Cliff_Forster
  • It can be done, we just need graphene or some really strong, conductive, and bendable material to hold an immensely small amount of gas in a tight container. We use extremely small amounts of electricity to heat or cool that tiny amount of gas through the strong and conducive [graphene/otherwise] which will make it harder to depress the key. Think small balloon beneath each key that blows up with electricity, and shrinks with lack there of. Could be powered via usb.

signed,
    professional engineer.

Cliff_ForstermidgaSignal
  • I like where this is going. ICHQ clean out that carriage house for distribution.
    Signal
  • SignalSignal Icrontian
    edited March 2014
    @Midga Package is on its way.
    midga
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    Razer's bringing out their "own" switches (dunno if they're truly their own or just rebranded Cherry) for the next BlackWidow.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    The more I use my mechanical keyboards, the more my office keyboards feel/sound like sadness.
    Agreed. I really like this G710+ and like my work keyboards less and less.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    I've already started shopping for an acceptable mechanical keyboard for work. Can't be one with brown or blue switches, as my office-mates would kill me over the noise. Going to need to be MX Blacks. Just need to find one I like...
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    Blacks are the quietest? I'm looking to get a mechanical for work but I have hammer-hands.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    Annes said:

Blacks are the quietest? I'm looking to get a mechanical for work but I have hammer-hands.

At least from the sampler that is going around, blacks and reds are both quiet, but the MX blacks require slightly more force to press, which I like.
    Annes said:

http://www.overclock.net/t/491752/mechanical-keyboard-guide from the second post there, they have longer descriptions with tacticle vs not, sound and force descriptions. All will be "louder" than standard rubber dome, but the blues will be much louder than red/black. You can get in on the sampler pack that is going around if you want to wait till after @midga has his turn testing it out.
  • RequitRequit That one guy Somewhere over there, I don't know Icrontian
    Blacks are the only cherry keys that don't go "cli-CLACK" when you press them.
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited March 2014
    Go on...

I nominate Annes comment above for Icrontic's no context WTF of the year award
    Annes said:

Black and red are both non-tactile. They should be the ones you're after. Black has a much heavier resistance than red.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    reds are pretty quiet too.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    I believe you can also add dampers, no?
    BlackHawk said:

I believe you can also add dampers, no?

Yes, you can add o-rings to make it quieter than its current level.
    Annes said:

I agree with @mertesn that you probably want blacks for hammer hands and noise level. Dat subtle racism tho.
    mertesn
    Yeah, the brown ones are pretty audible too, though not nearly as much. It'd annoy people in about a 50' radius rather than the entire floor.

I would use the blues at work, but that's mostly because I want to remind a few people what work sounds like.
    midga
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    mertesn said:

I would use the blues at work, but that's mostly because I want to remind a few people what work sounds like.

I get lots of compliments on my Model M; lots of folks come by and ask to touch it. They all leave with this look of awe. #my20yroldkeyboardbeatsyournewkeyboard
    mertesn