Guns of Icarus Online

Comments

• SignalSignal Icrontian
    Bad trooster, you missed me piloting as an engineer. Somehow won anyways.
    ZealocktheGreat_k
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    You missed me running full throttle because I forgot what I rebound throttle down to.
    RahnalH102trooster89ZealocktheGreat
  • SignalSignal Icrontian
    Full steam ahead, all day erryday.

It happens, I forgot I switched altitude and throttle controls. Wouldn't of been so bad if it was as we were just starting, but it was 5 minutes into the match and I ended up hitting Zealock instead of the spire he was fighting. My brain just derped in the middle of the match and reverted to default controls.

What controls work well for you guys? I have my throttle set to W and S for more of a aswd feel to moving a ship. The drawback is it becomes hard to turn and change altitude at the same time as I have my altitude set to R and F.
    _kZealocktheGreat
    I have throttle set to R and C while mic is F. Everything else is default. That makes turning right harder but I have found when pulling full reverse then a pivot so when I do start to turn it is hard and I have less lateral skip in it that not being able to turn while going to war time reverse helps make the procedure more accurate and flashy.

There is a wonderment in me why I don't see more ships pulling skips into other ships broadside and ramming them as well.
    SignalZealocktheGreat
  • ZealocktheGreatZealocktheGreat SkyCaptain Captain of the Sky Icrontian
    I utilize all default across the board. R and F as it separates the WASD body mentality from the odd ship mentality. It takes some getting used to, but I find that it's worth it as spamming R and F an exact amount of times changes speed very accurately. (Meaning when at ahead full I press F five times it brings me to astern 1/4)
    _kSignaltrooster89midga
    _k
    ZealocktheGreat
    As what became very obvious tonight I can talk the talk in GOIO, but I cannot walk the walk. While in mid combat I showed an ignorance irradiating display of pure ineptitude against a captain of much higher skill than I...sorry everyone.
    _k
    We need to start recording matches so we can watch them and find issues. Wasn't trying to be mean about telling you what I was seeing happen to us at the front of the ship with the Junker but I really wish we could do a replay of kills. It seemed from the guns up front that the entire issue turned into going for a ram or closer range where the junker dips in time you go to follow they rise hard and start to circle from above where they can rain down on us and our front guns don't have enough vertical degrees to consistently hit them.

When I played that round as captain with them I kept that in mind and it seemed to work well enough, if my AI players would have bothered to attack when I set them instead of stand around.
    ZealocktheGreatSignaltrooster89
    I didn't think you were that mean I just rage a lot especially when presented to a situation where I feel powerless so your advice had to get through my inner three year old to get to me. Another issue with my fighting style is that I utilize the front guns far too much (to the point where I don't even consider side guns) what I should have done is change up the side guns and fought him on even ground whenever he broadsided us. That way we could have had an entire different angle to hit him from.
    More GOIO very fun very good games. Ammo types was brought up tonight, and I was reminded that I have yet to do a segment on ammo types on this thread. I'll be sure to do that soon.
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    Ug, I keep missing GunsMonday. I'll setup a couple more events on the Steam Group for reminders. Please don't be afraid to send out some invites to regulars.

I'll be there next week.

-Digi
    ZealocktheGreat
  • trooster89trooster89 Are you from London? Icrontian
    ZealocktheGreat
    ZealocktheGreat
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    I am working a bit late tonight. I'll hop on as soon as I get home and shoot some ships with you guys if you are still on :-)

-Digi
    SignalZealocktheGreat
  • SignalSignal Icrontian
    I switched my secondary ammo to burst round (and actually used my secondary) last night. I loaded that into the Scylla Double-Barreled Mortar on the Pryamidion. I really enjoyed that combo. It disabled guns as I was hammering on enemy hulls because of the increased area of effect.
    ZealocktheGreat
    Burst ammo is where it is at. Generally if the enemy isn't super hard hitting I come in with one mag. of fire rounds and spread it around the ship so they have small fires to deal with and then on the reload switch to burst and lay it down where I want. In my brain I think they run around putting fires out and it gives me a few seconds to start ripping their hull apart and dropping a side gun with it.
    Signal
    I love me some burst rounds. They just tear up that armor like nothin'.
    ZealocktheGreat
    I wasn't sure if you were doing it or not last time, but just in case here's some more advice. Greased rounds+Hwatcha sound like they might be a good mix as the Hwatcha already has a nightmarish fast firing speed, but in actuality greased rounds are not the best. Burst rounds for bigger clip, or heavy clip for no recoil. The heavy clip will add a truly terrifying accuracy jump in the Hwatcha and the burst rounds are just burst rounds good in almost any gun.
    Signal

• SignalSignal Icrontian

To recap lessons learned last night:

1. Don't put your faith in applesauce, if you do, buy name brand.
    2. Squids are not meant to be dragged on the ground, especially if your teammate sits on you.
    3. Spires shouldn't be used as bait.
    trooster89ZealocktheGreat

Oh man watching that Squid get FF'd into the ground was hilarious from spectate.

ZealocktheGreat
  • SignalSignal Icrontian

That guy had no idea how to pilot. I lost track of how many times he bottomed out.

What actually happened there? Did our teammate turn blindly and just smash us into the ground or did we get in the way of them? All I saw was our ship spontaneously exploding and no enemy ships around. Noticed the score didn't change, and realized our teammate was right where we had been.

_kZealocktheGreat

Yeah, and especially on a squid. They're so squishy. He kept trying to take the spire head-on with a short range shotgun. Oh well, I still was able to blow some stuff up and had fun.

Signal_kZealocktheGreat

It was kind of strange since the Galleon pretty much didn't move except to swap to undestroyed guns or spin in a circle. Can't believe they snipped the Spire at least once.....I mean what were the engies doing..?

When both the enemy ships moved in the Galleon was busy motoring in a slow circle trying to keep at least one set of guns in firing position at all times. While that was going on the Squid was running around kind of shooting at people some times but half the time not having an angle for even the machine gun. After everything played out and the enemies were dead the Squid had drifted directly below the Galleon. Slowly the Galleon started to descend and started to poke the Squids balloon with its bottom sail. Each time the Squid bounced off the ground it game up straight enough to poke itself against the bottom sail again, also the Galleon kept descending like they were headed to the ground for regroup or something. Right after the Squid was destroyed from ground impacts the Galleon captain seemed to realize the bumping was from a friendly and was trying to ascend but it was already to late.

The captain of the Galleon never said anything like he was mad at the Squid pilot but it seemed rather strange how events played, could have been an accident with just perfect spacing to disallow the Squid to escape or it was a direct FF after horrible support in close quarters cannon fest. I was on the edge of my seat impressed the Galleon survived all of that and then couldn't believe my eyes when the FF started taking place.

I was glad to be in spectator for that match.

SignalZealocktheGreat

ZealocktheGreat

_k
  • SignalSignal Icrontian

I'm hopping on early to train some new recruits 8 or 8:30. I'm thinking the Pyramidion is the easiest to learn. Should I start with that or the goldfish?

_k
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian

I think the Goldfish is much easier for fresh players. Three guns, everything's easy to see and get to without any climbing or anything, and it's very straightforward which gun you should be on when.

Signal_k