Expo 2014: IcrontiChess

LincLinc OwnerDetroit Icrontian
edited February 2014 in Events
Today we sat around and brainstormed a new Expo event that can involve every attendee regardless of your gaming interests or skill level. Basically, a game to join the ranks of Duct Tape Challenge and Werewolf for massive-play.

IcrontiChess is 16v16 game where each person represents 1 chess piece on a human-size board. The king is the team captain; he/she calls all moves and makes final team decisions.

Whenever a piece would be captured, those 2 players meet for a 30-90 second mini-game randomly drawn from a hat. If the capturing player wins, the captured player leaves the board (like normal). If the captured player wins, they respawn according to the rules of Circe Chess (basically, back where they started). Every win is a point for your team.

The first team to checkmate OR 15 points wins. (We may revise the point threshold / conditions - still analyzing this). The goals is to make this a fast-paced 90-minute event approximately.

Each team gets 3 lifelines, used at the discretion of the King.

1) Pawn Spawn: 1 captured player can be respawned as a pawn (only on an available pawn starting position, without threatening another piece)
2) Stunt Double: 1 captured player pinch-hits for your team during a mini-game. May be used after the mini-game is chosen/explained.
3) Duel: 1 captured player may directly challenge a captured player of the opposite team to a mini game. The winner's team gets 1 point.

There's a lot of fun and meta-gaming to be had here. The lifelines reengage captured players. The format makes it important who teams make their King and how they assign themselves to board squares. The mini-games may be 1v1 or involve the rest of the team, and their outcome matters in multiple ways.

What do you think?
RyanFodderpragtasticBobbyDigiCBmaliaGHoosdumErrorNullTurnipSignalCreeperbane2ZanthianCantiTushonmidgasharkydartSoda

Comments

• CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    Sounds good.

Do we get jerseys, or is it shirts v. skins?
    GHoosdumGnomeQueenLincsharkydart
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    How long will it take? A regular game of chess can take a long time.
  • RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian
    It's very possible to pay chess quickly.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited February 2014
    @CB Jerseys, methinks. Blue vs. Orange. :D

@GnomeQueen It'll be speed chess. Probably a 30-second timelimit on moves.
    RyanFodderSoda
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    in
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    If a win is a point and we're only going to 15, I don't see this taking very long. :) Sounds fun!
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    In. One minute round of hand-to-hand combat should be one of the mini games :D
    Chooch
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    In.
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    edited February 2014
    Sounds fun. I'm in. I have no idea how to play chess, tho, just boss me around and tell me what to do.
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian

I have no idea how to play chess

http://icrontic.com/discussion/98487/chess-discussion-and-online-matches#latest

Get in here and learn. It will literally take about 5 minutes to explain everything you need to know.

• ZanthianZanthian Mitey Worrier Icrontian
    In. Sounds fun, good idea.
  • pragtasticpragtastic Alexandria, VA Icrontian

bompz

• RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian

@pragtastic fight me in chess.

• SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian

(If my note above wasn't considered an in... I'm in.)

• DogDragonDogDragon Jacksonville, Fl Icrontian

in

• pragtasticpragtastic Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited June 2014

@CannonFodder said:
    pragtastic fight me in chess.

RyanFodder
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian

Very intrigued by this. I'm in.

• KaintenanceKaintenance #blametheyouth Kyle, TX Member

I'm in

• LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited June 2014

I'm hoping this will be an event EVERYONE either participates in or watches. We need 32 people to play (on top of 3 to run). If we have far more folks than that interested, we'll do TWO games to 15 points. That would let spectators of the first round jump in for the second.

So far we have 33 prepared mini-games that take 2 minutes or less, many of which can be re-used.

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

I'm in for Mario Party Icrontic Chess.

RyanFodder
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian

Most In

-Digi

• SignalSignal Icrontian

In