Music Suggestion Requests

I often find myself wanting to hear some new music, but I'm overwhelmed by the choices that exist now that I use both Spotify and Pandora.
I wonder if, given Icrontic's diverse music taste, I or others could ask for suggestions based on some criteria?

For example:
I'm working right now, and I want some good mellow and rhythmic background music. What do you guys recommend?

BobbyDigiMrTRiot

Comments

• SignalSignal Icrontian
    edited March 2014

You might try Steromood. You type in your mood or what you're doing, it starts playing appropriate music.

BobbyDigiPirateNinja
  • SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian

Tycho

PirateNinja
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian

I have a spotify playlist for Ambient Postrock stuff, most of which meets your criteria.

I would particularly recommend the artist: Explosions in the Sky

PirateNinja
  • Thanks guys! Will try these out.

• WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited March 2014

I really like Blue Sky Black Death. Their albums have decent variety, I think you'd enjoy their NOIR album quite a bit.

shwaip
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian

The XX:

Windsor for the Derby:

radiohead:

not exactly what you requested, but one of my current favorites,
    head and the heart:

Winfrey
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian

Fennec's new album is pretty mellow. (Spotify URI.)

• BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian

Might I suggest something Latin like Electrotango.

primesuspect
  • MrTRiotMrTRiot Northern Ontario Icrontian

INexus or OMG & Shoackwave. It's the stuff I have on while studying

• trooster89trooster89 Are you from London? Icrontian

http://www.stereogum.com/

Its not really a streaming site. They've got articles, videos, and loads of free mp3's.
    I've found some of my favorite bands through there and rediscovered old bands I forgot about.

Some of it is not quite my taste, but its been totally worth it for the random bands I probably never would have discovered.

Lately I've been hooked on the band Haim thanks to them.

the morning benders (aka "Pop etc") is a pretty mellow band I found there.

• NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited March 2014

digitallyimported.com for anything electronic - the ambient stuff is great to listen to while at work. I'm a fan of little/no vocals, so the selection there really hits the spot.

GuppyPirateNinja
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    edited March 2014

Maybe not rhythmic but definitely good for background music.

• LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian

I frequently go to my favorite albums on the iTunes Store and browse the "Listeners Also Bought" section. It's worked surprisingly well and I've found some really amazing albums that way. I'm not keen on singles so that works better for me than most streaming things.

• LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian

@PirateNinja said:
    I'm working right now, and I want some good mellow and rhythmic background music. What do you guys recommend?

The very definition of that is the album Audio by Blue Man Group.

• oni_delsoni_dels Drunk French Canadian Montréal, Québec. Icrontian

THIS

• I want to thank everyone for their awesome suggestions. I settled on DI.fm per @NiGHTS‌. It's pretty great, keeps me in touch with my eurotrash roots.