iFixit names new Macbook Pro the most difficult to repair Macbook yet

Comments

• KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    Surprise level: none
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited June 2012
    While a lot of the things there are "whatever" to me, there are some pretty annoying issues, specifically the soldered ram and non-standard ssd.

Very few people want the ability to open up their laptop and redo the TIM/ clean things / etc, but the ability to upgrade your ram (ok, my choice is to purchase the 8gb I currently use and can never upgrade or pay a huge premium for 16gb that I assume i'll use in the future) is both a pretty common desire and a relatively tech-noob thing to do. I feel essentially the same about the HDD.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    Yeah, especially the RAM. That's one of the few things that casual users can and often do themselves. It's easy, and it makes a massive difference.

I, as well as many of my friends, have often opted for simply buying enough RAM at system build/purchase with the idea of doubling up and upgrading later down the line. To make users commit to a hardwired amount of RAM from the start and then tote that your system will go the distance is some real bullcrap.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    can you change the SD card on the Galaxy Nexus?

nothing new here, it's Apple

Except for everything that is new.

Except for everything that is new.
    and sexy. 2880x1800 gives me wood, OSX be damned

• NullenVoydNullenVoyd Orlandish Icrontian
    I normally reel at the concept of not being able to fix/service things, but a trend has long been forming that I think we're seeing realized more and more. Service is expensive. If you can save a decent chunk on just making another device, it is SO much easier to say "did it look at you funny? ok, give it to us, we'll put it in the shredder, and pull all your data from the could onto a new one".

Personally, I can't even imagine that resolution on that small a screen. At what point is the human eye incapable of noticing an increase in resolution?
  • That's all that the marketing term "retina display" means, your eye can't see the dots any more. High resolution plus high dpi makes things look pretty.

I'd rather get a high end thinkpad for $1000 less, but what do I know.
    edited June 2012
    I sit two feet from a 24" 1920x1200 resolution monitor and I can see the pixels.

I also have 20/17 vision so that might explain why
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    20/17 vision
    I normally reel at the concept of not being able to fix/service things, but a trend has long been forming that I think we're seeing realized more and more. Service is expensive. If you can save a decent chunk on just making another device, it is SO much easier to say "did it look at you funny? ok, give it to us, we'll put it in the shredder, and pull all your data from the could onto a new one".

Personally, I can't even imagine that resolution on that small a screen. At what point is the human eye incapable of noticing an increase in resolution?
    I kinda agree. I have a 2560x1440 27" screen and it's probably the maximum pixel density I'd want. (either that or my 19x12 15.4") screen. I'm 100% sure that the new MBP display is very very pretty to look at, i'm just not the target customer.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    Like phones, the resolution increase is accompanied by an increase in UI DPI. You have more usable space, not a microscopic interface.
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    Nobody should ever buy a Macbook Pro, EVER. Forget the specs. Remember that Apple is being as greedy as they possibly can, first taking jobs from Americans by building it with cheap foriegn labor, which makes them more profit, then by making it as hard to work on as possible so you have to pay them for it, which makes them more profit. I won't fall for their tricks, and I won't pay them for the way they treat their customers like this. I won't buy one ever! Do not buy one, you must not support a company who treats their customers this way! It is not worth it!
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    By your logic Tim, you shouldn't buy any PC.
    Nobody should ever buy a Macbook Pro, EVER. Forget the specs. Remember that Apple is being as greedy as they possibly can, first taking jobs from Americans by building it with cheap foriegn labor, which makes them more profit, then by making it as hard to work on as possible so you have to pay them for it, which makes them more profit. I won't fall for their tricks, and I won't pay them for the way they treat their customers like this. I won't buy one ever! Do not buy one, you must not support a company who treats their customers this way! It is not worth it!
    Translation: I wish I could afford one.

• TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    Negative. I have always had PCs and don't want any Apple product. Ever. If someone gave me a Mac or Macbook for free, I'd sell it.

The Apple engineers and product planners aren't happy with just charging a premium price for their stuff, they are sitting around plotting how to get more of your money by making their things so hard to work on. So they can get more of your money! And you bought it and now you have no choice! Your choices are 1. Pay Them, or 2. Pay Them.
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    Negative. I have always had PCs and don't want any Apple product. Ever. If someone gave me a Mac or Macbook for free, I'd sell it.

The Apple engineers and product planners aren't happy with just charging a premium price for their stuff, they are sitting around plotting how to get more of your money by making their things so hard to work on. So they can get more of your money! And you bought it and now you have no choice! Your choices are 1. Pay Them, or 2. Pay Them.
    Hmmm, a for profit company trying to figure out ways to generate more profit. So crazy, it just might work.
  • allenpanallenpan ThunderBay, Ontario, CAnada Icrontian
    i think the wording is a bit wrong, it is not "difficult", you just need the right tools, such as BGA station

again, you alwasy need the right tools for the right job
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    Yeah, everyone has a BGA station, so it's not difficult at all.
    Also, access to the replacement chips.

And a replacement screen/lid single piece.
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian

Yeah thanks cool Brian!

PirateNinja
  • Your originality and genuine thoughts really make this article good! Thanks Brian!

• BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian

You're Awesomely Rad @primesuspect‌ !

-Digi

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

The fuck

PirateNinja
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian

Spammer rezzed it, replies to the spammer.