Any Cisco knowledge in the house?

trolltroll Windsor, Nova Scotia Icrontian

Fellow Icrontians!

I am trying to get a pair of Cisco AIR-SAP1602I-A-K9's online for a non profit organization, I have Zero Cisco programming knowledge, these units have already been flashed with the stanalone firmware from the distributor so I don't have to attempt that bit of fun.

I have followed all that I can find on the net about giving these things an ip from the console port but they never seem to come online so I can access the GUI.

Is there anyone here that can give me a step by step on how to configure one of these so I can access the GUI? I would like to have the access point take an IP from a non cisco router and use the second access point as a wireless repeater to increase the wireless range.

Is this possible? Everthing I have read says it can be done but I cant even access the GUI to try any of it.

I have the scg15-2-4_book.pdf so if there is something I missed you could point me to a page number as well, but a step by step would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Comments

• MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian

Oh man. Someone ping @Shorty

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited April 2014

cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/access_point/1600/quick/guide/ap1600getstart.pdf

Page 12 talks about a Cisco WAP LAN controller needing to be used for the automatic discovery to work, meaning you'd need an additional box to use the AIR devices. It's been a long time since I didn't any Cisco stuff, but I remember doing that on the two school deployments I worked on. Page 16 has the following quote:

The access point console port is enabled for monitoring and debug purposes. All configuration

commands are disabled when the access point is connected to a controller

EDIT: I'm wrong! Yay! This guide (which you already have), page 4-6, details the settings for console port. Keep in mind that you have to use a serial cable (can be USB > serial > db-9 connector to RJ-45 cable) into the console port as detailed. You don't need an IP for the console port, btw, just the correct settings and any admin credentials.

troll
  • trolltroll Windsor, Nova Scotia Icrontian

Thanks Tushon!

I can access the console port fine and have run the config IP stuff but I can not ping or access the web config on this AP.

Boot time stuff:
    Cisco IOS Software, C1600 Software (AP1G2-K9W7-M), Version 15.2(2)JB2, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1) Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport Copyright (c) 1986-2013 by Cisco Systems, Inc. Compiled Mon 29-Jul-13 12:16 by prod_rel_team *Mar 1 00:00:17.987: %SNMP-5-COLDSTART: SNMP agent on host ap is undergoing a cold start *Mar 1 00:00:18.015: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface GigabitEthernet0, changed state to down *Mar 1 00:00:18.795: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface BVI1, changed state to up *Mar 1 00:00:18.947: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Dot11Radio0, changed state to down *Mar 1 00:00:18.947: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Dot11Radio1, changed state to down *Mar 1 00:00:29.767: %LINK-6-UPDOWN: Interface BVI1, changed state to down *Mar 1 00:00:30.767: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface BVI1, changed state to down
    And a "show ip interface" command gives:
    ap>show ip interface BVI1 is down, line protocol is down Internet address is 10.10.10.20/24 Broadcast address is 255.255.255.255 Address determined by non-volatile memory MTU is 1500 bytes Helper address is not set Directed broadcast forwarding is disabled Multicast reserved groups joined: Outgoing access list is not set Inbound access list is not set Proxy ARP is enabled Local Proxy ARP is disabled Security level is default Split horizon is enabled ICMP redirects are always sent ICMP unreachables are always sent ICMP mask replies are never sent IP fast switching is disabled IP fast switching on the same interface is disabled IP CEF switching is disabled IP Null turbo vector IP Null turbo vector IP multicast fast switching is disabled IP multicast distributed fast switching is disabled IP route-cache flags are None Router Discovery is disabled IP output packet accounting is disabled IP access violation accounting is disabled TCP/IP header compression is disabled RTP/IP header compression is disabled Policy routing is disabled Network address translation is disabled BGP Policy Mapping is disabled Input features: MCI Check Dot11Radio0 is administratively down, line protocol is down Internet protocol processing disabled Dot11Radio1 is administratively down, line protocol is down Internet protocol processing disabled GigabitEthernet0 is up, line protocol is down Internet protocol processing disabled

Where is the damn # /sbin/ifconfig eth0 up command. :D

• NullenVoydNullenVoyd Orlandish Icrontian

Oh tits it's been ages since I've dug into Cisco stuff. They have a GUI on their enterprise APs now?

All I can figure is you'll have to manually set config on the protocol(s), and interfaces. You can see the interface GigabitEthernet0 is up but the protocol is down? Gotta set all the fun things for the protocol, bring it up, and then you're at least talking to your LAN.

Setting everything is a trick tho, and what Cisco techs get the big bucks for. You should, however, maybe, be able to look up some generic protocol and interface programming for cisco materials and find what you need to get these operational, but prepare for some learnings. Good luck!

troll

Thanks NullenVoyd!
    Yes there is a GUI, I've been doing a little reading, I'll do some more.

Thanks for all the assistance guys, it was a really stupid issue.

The AP has to be plugged into a Gigabit connection or it will not come alive out of the box.
    Once I connected it to a Gigabit switch in front of the router the magic started to flow...

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

Haha, that is a silly issue. Weird that they wouldn't auto-negotiate down, but I do recall seeing that in the docs when I was perusing it.