watch batteries

CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄ƷDer Millionendorf- Icrontian

Simple question, but didn't want to hijack the main watch thread.

I've got some old watches which I would still wear if they had new batteries. What is the best way to get them?

If I get new batteries at a jewelry store or watch store will they install it for me? Is that pricey? Would it be better to pick up the batteries at a discount place and get the tools to do it myself? How difficult is that?

Thanks for any help. :)

Comments

• SignalSignal Icrontian
    edited April 2014

Find a local watch shop. They will do it for under $20. Department stores that sell watches will do it for under $15. I think Target used to do it for $8, but you get what you pay for. If you have an expensive watch that you don't want scratched by some teen that sells fossil watches and browses facebook all day, go to the watch store. If you're like me and have a $30 fossil watch, Target will do fine.

Edit: To answer your questions. All of these shops will install them. If you want to install it yourself you'll need to go to a battery store like Interstate Battery (not sure what local equivalent is) and get a set of watch tools online. I suggest letting the jewelery/watch/department store do it for you.

IlriyasCBmidga
  • IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian

I remember a story my dad told me about his old Seiko diver, directly related to batteries and watch repair I won't go into it but I remember that the key part of the story was that the watch shop he took it to wasn't licensed to repair Seiko's and the guy messed up and forgot to put one of the waterproof parts back in.

I can't help much in terms of pricing but make sure the shops you take them to are licensed for their repair, not only will the repairs be insured (If they work the same way as up here at least) but the work will most likely be done properly.

SignalCBmidga
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian

Watch shop, sure. But if you want to take the do-it-yourselfer route, get a watch wrench, preferably one like this.

I recommend doing a little research on your particular watch before trying though. Maybe watch some youtube tutorials. Besides avoiding scratching the case, you'll especially want to make sure you re-seat any waterproofing system, and some watches are more tricky than others.

SignalBlueTattoo
  • d3k0yd3k0y Loveland, OH Icrontian
    edited April 2014

I got to Dakota Watches in Eastgate Mall, I think its about 12-15 bucks for a new battery. They verify they still have it water-resistant too if your watch is set up that way. They usually give a coupon for a dollar off a future service as well, so roll them in one at a time.

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

Take it to a watch shop. They will care about them, not scratch them, use the right parts, not overcharge you, and you'll be supporting small, local businesses in a small industry.

Signal
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

The cost of the appropriate tools is roughly equal to the price of one battery change.

Signal
  • BlueTattooBlueTattoo Boatbuilder Houston, TX Icrontian

But if you want to take the do-it-yourselfer route, get a watch wrench, preferably one like this.

Thanks, Bandrik. I gotta get one of those. The jeweler I used for about 20 years retired and I used a screwdriver to change my last battery myself.