Jim Koch shares a secret: How to drink beer without getting drunk

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian

.... So crazy it JUST MIGHT WORK

oni_delsUPSLynx

Comments

• SignalSignal Icrontian

How does this not give him uncontrollable gas?

primesuspectoni_delsUPSLynx
  • How does he not shit loaves of bread?

MiracleManSBlueTattoo
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian

How to drink without getting drunk? D-:

-Digi

• AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian

I might use this for when I plan on hitting the really high ABV stuff. That's always the pitfall. It's SO GOOD, but it hits SO HARD. If I can lessen the blow without sacrificing any of the palate enjoyment, I'm in.

• MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian

I'll potentially get a chance to try this Sunday. I'll report back with details.

• shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian

i don't understand

BobbyDigi
  • This is a massive troll. Koch just has a huge tolerance from drinking so much all his life. @MiracleManS, good luck with your anus.

UPSLynxBasil
  • RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited April 2014

Considering yeast produces (not consumes) CO2and alcohol from any free sugars you might also eat, I find this hard to believe.

Calling @malia to confirm / deny / prove me an idiot.

edit: can't figure out subscripts.

• HumerusMegHumerusMeg Something, something medical professional, Fitness bitch, Sexy chef Austin Icrontian
    edited April 2014

Poor idea. Lots of yeast = lots of gas, equals still drunk with enough beer. May as well try to build tolerance instead of trying to stave off being drunk with yeast.

• Tolerance is actually a myth, some people are just pro at hiding their drunkenness. If you take a heavy drinker and a light drinker of the same weight and have them take the same couple of drinks on empty stomachs they will blow the same into the breathalyzer, just the pro drunk will have figured out how to look and sound less drunk.

I'm not sure about the whole yeast thing but I can tell you for a fact if you load up with B vitamins and drink a pint of water before starting, drink a small 4 Oz water chaser after every drink and drink another pint of water with a banana before retiring for the evening your hangover should be close to non existent. I type this as I enjoy a Flying Dog Lucky SOB Irish Ale with lunch.

So after reading about ADH itself, this could be rather legit if the conditions are correct. From what I can read (IANAScientist), yeast cycle through the alcohol process in 2 ways:

1. Create alcohol from sugars when plentiful, creating an environment inhospitable to other microbes, preserving the food for themselves (greedy little boogers). This is the fermentation process we are all familiar with (and love so completely).

2. Break alcohol back down into energy when sugar levels are low, now that the competition is dead.

So it seems that if you are able to create the proper conditions in your gut before consuming alcohol, the yeast will attack the alcohol you consume in order to keep their energy flowing. The body then takes those resultant compounds away before the yeast can reconvert them to alcohol.

I'm probably greatly over-simplifying, but that's what I was able to gather.

• oni_delsoni_dels Drunk French Canadian Montréal, Québec. Icrontian

here's how i do it:
    irish blood.

Cliff_ForsterJBoogaloo

@oni_dels said:
    here's how i do it:
    irish blood.

That's just dealing with high BAC :P

oni_dels
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

@Cliff_Forster said:
    Tolerance is actually a myth, some people are just pro at hiding their drunkenness. If you take a heavy drinker and a light drinker of the same weight and have them take the same couple of drinks on empty stomachs they will blow the same into the breathalyzer, just the pro drunk will have figured out how to look and sound less drunk.

Yeah .... no.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_tolerance

oni_delsUPSLynxGnomeQueen
  • oni_delsoni_dels Drunk French Canadian Montréal, Québec. Icrontian
    edited April 2014

@Tushon said:
    @Cliff_Forster said: Tolerance is actually a myth, some people are just pro at hiding their drunkenness. If you take a heavy drinker and a light drinker of the same weight and have them take the same couple of drinks on empty stomachs they will blow the same into the breathalyzer, just the pro drunk will have figured out how to look and sound less drunk.

>

Yeah .... no.

>

tl;dr : the body can develop a resistance to alcohol, or caffeine or any other drug, needing more of it to have the same effects.

@UPSLynx said:
    The more I read about this, the more I suspect this is a hilarious troll by Jim Koch. You will be SO GASSY.

All the beer farts.

oni_dels
  • The perceived effect and the physiological aspect are different. Of course weight and certain genetic factors come to play, so all things are not 100% equal. Also certain nutrients as they interact with the alcohol. Body fat to muscle also has some impact. So there are plenty of factors but lets consider this.....

You clone someone. Perfect identical, all things equal. Guy A, daily drinker, Guy B drinks a beer or two once a month. Both down one bourbon, one scotch and one beer.... they are equally drunk, 100% scientifically equally drunk, their BAC will be exactly the same, just guy A is used to it, he does not make a fool of himself while guy B is slurring and walking a little crooked. Tolerance is about the perception of drunkenness and not exactly how drunk you are. That's why the DUI laws everywhere seem so strict to guys that have been drinking a long time. They want you to know walking into a bar that you stop drinking far before you even have a clue that you might be getting a little drunk. Most people that have been drinking awhile mask it pretty well, and they are not even aware that they are doing it.

I've served drinks at pro sports venues. In Maryland you have to take alcohol safety training before you can. It's pretty strict, and the fact of the matter is unless you are a giant of a person you get drunk a lot sooner than you think you do.

Drinking more over time will not change how you blow into the breathalyzer, it will just give you the experience to not look like an ass when you get up from the stool. You are just as drunk as you were when you drank just as much years ago, you are just better at it now.

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

Not sure what avenue to take with understanding this. Your statement was that tolerance was a myth. That is categorically not true. Your expansion that there are learned coping skills is true, but isn't the whole story. From the referenced wiki link, first study link:

Metabolic Tolerance
    Tolerance that results from a more rapid elimination of alcohol from the body is called metabolic tolerance (2). It is associated with a specific group of liver enzymes that metabolize alcohol and that are activated after chronic drinking (21,22). Enzyme activation increases alcohol degradation and reduces the time during which alcohol is active in the body (2), thereby reducing the duration of alcohol's intoxicating effects.

That's a physical change which results in you drinking more to get the same effect. They definitely describe mental stuff as well.

• MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian

@PirateNinja said:
    This is a massive troll. Koch just has a huge tolerance from drinking so much all his life. MiracleManS, good luck with your anus.

Good thing I already take shits the size of a loaf of bread.

oni_delspigflipper
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian

honestly i don't understand the point of doing this.

Cliff_Forster
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian

@shwaip said:
    honestly i don't understand the point of doing this.

• HumerusMegHumerusMeg Something, something medical professional, Fitness bitch, Sexy chef Austin Icrontian
    edited May 2014
  • JokkeJokke Bergen, Norway Icrontian
    edited May 2014

Fish oil. Creates a barrier between your intestines and the contents, preventing the alcohol from being absorbed into your blood and stuff. Until it loses effect and you absorb all the alcohol at once.

RyanFodder
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian

The fish oil solution sounds very... Norwegian.

Signal
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian

Leave it to them to figure out how to hold drunk off long enough to drink more.

Cliff_Forster
  • PinkPink Colour Sweden Icrontian

Okay... “One teaspoon per beer, right before you start drinking.”

I am telling you guys right now, I am not eating 12+ teaspoons of yeast everytime I go out drinking! That sounds like the recipe for a tummy ache.

midga
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    edited May 2014

Shovel down a few cups of flour, some milk, baking powder....
    Eating yeast is a dumb idea. If you don't want to get drink, don't drunk. Otherwise, eat some cheese sticks and deal with it.

GnomeQueenPink