If geeks love it, we’re on it

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TDI Cool Kids Club

AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut?Meechigan Icrontian
edited April 2014 in The Pub

2 weeks ago, I picked up my very first diesel Volkswagen. A 2005 Beetle 5-speed in fantastic shape (nothing a little TLC and a wheel can't take out), and a steal (listed incorrectly, but gave it to me at inquiry price).

I've since run 2 tanks through it and already getting quite good numbers in the fuel economy space:

Tank #1 - 504 miles on 12.522 gallons - 40MPG

Tank #2 - 508 miles on 11.4 gallons - 44.6MPG

Any other TDI-havers here in IC?

mertesn

Comments

• SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic Virginia Icrontian

Diesel fuel is Satan's lifeblood.

Honestly though that's pretty good fuel consumption. I would love to have that range and MPG. I like the power my thirsty 3.7L V6 generates too much though. What is the displacement of you Beetle?

• AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian

Most of the TDIs are 1.9 or 2.0L i4. Mine is a 1.9.

It's got some scoot when I need it due to all the torque everywhere, and then just sips when cruising.

• NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian

Strongly considered a TDI Golf but ended up going with a Mini Cooper.

I get similar fuel mileage - mid to high 40s on freeway and mid thirties on the streets. Huzzah for small cars!

Yup, they're pretty awesome. I want to get a OBD reader so I ca see actual consumption on the freeway. When I'm cruising at 65-70, I imagine I'm probably pulling well over 50MPG, since I'm averaging 44+ for the tank.

• SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic Virginia Icrontian

@Ryder I have heard that you should never leave those plugged in. They apparently will drain the battery overnight. Just a friendly PSA.

• RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian

That is correct. The Torque app has a setting that reminds you "unplug your transmitter" when you shut down the app.

Sonorous

@Sonorous said:
    Ryder I have heard that you should never leave those plugged in. They apparently will drain the battery overnight. Just a friendly PSA.

This I knew. The interface is 'powered' at all times.