Devil's Canyon Build

csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
edited June 2014 in Hardware

Ok here goes a new build. I need to replace my current setup during the summer to allow for a better system for the family with better network connectivity. Their current system with Windows XP is ready to be dumped.

The components I will be needing are PSU, CPU, mobo, mem, & waterblock.

I'd like to keep in this price range as much as possible while sticking with good overclocking components and fast/tight timings on memory. With that said these are the components I have selected:

Parts Needed:

CPU:
Intel Core i7-4790K Haswell 4.0GHz LGA 1150 Desktop Processor BX80646I74790K - Delivered

CPU Waterblock:
EK Supremacy Universal CPU Liquid Cooling Block - Acetal (EK-Supremacy - Acetal) - Delivered

Motherboard:
ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - Delivered

Memory:
Team Xtreem 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2666 (PC3 21300) Desktop Memory Model TXD316G2666HC11CDC01 - Delivered

PSU:
CORSAIR AX series AX860 860W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS PLATINUM Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply New 4th Gen CPU Certified Haswell Ready - Delivered

For future reference, this waterblock roundup is showing the J2 nozzle for best OC temps.

Parts for Reuse:

GPU:
EVGA 04G-P4-3779-KR GeForce GTX 770 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support Classified Hydro Copper Video Card

SSD:
SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series MZ-7PD128BW 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro - 64-bit - OEM

Discussion & opinions appreciated thanks.

Comments

• shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian

PSU seems overkill unless you're going dual GPU, imo.

I've also started putting 16 GB of ram in my machines, but mostly because I can.

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

I would also put in a vote for 16gb of RAM if you can fit it in the budget.

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

FWIW tight timings don't really matter any more. MHz is king for DRAM.

• mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian

@shwaip said:

PSU seems overkill unless you're going dual GPU, imo.

I've also started putting 16 GB of ram in my machines, but mostly because I can.

@primesuspect said:

I would also put in a vote for 16gb of RAM if you can fit it in the budget.

That's beginner mode. 32GB or GTFO.

ErrorNullTurnip
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian

Serious question: why 16GB? What are you guys running that soaks up that much available?

edited May 2014

Windows 7 (and higher) uses memory opportunistically, which is to say that the memory management model uses RAM as a cache for frequently-used applications and content. Android functions similarly. With higher capacities of RAM, Windows can commit greater amounts of your most-used apps and files for immediate access via RAM, rather than incurring the latency penalty of going to disk.

As an example, I have 24GB of RAM in my system. I am actively using 7199MB of memory in user-facing processes, and Windows has cached another 17192, leaving just 174 as blank or "free." As you can see, Windows is taking full advantage of the large DRAM capacity my system provides.

As a point of note, I'm using almost 8GB of RAM at the desktop without a game running!

• mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian

Virtual machines.

• csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited May 2014

I can swing 16gb. How about this, still with tight timings just looser than the timings in the above kit, and a few more gigglhurtz.

Team Xtreem 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2666 (PC3 21300) Desktop Memory Model TXD316G2666HC11CDC01

Honestly I've never had issues with the current 8gb I have now however with this kit I can know what difference it makes. How will I test though?

edited June 2014

If things hold up I would like one of these PowerColor LCS AXR9 290X 4GBD5-WMDH/OC Radeon R9 290X 4GB 512-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card by the years end.

Devil's Canyon should be in real soon since account was charged and product shipped. I was charged the lesser amount of 339.99 as opposed to 349.99 as the original invoice indicates since there was a price drop on the day after my pre-order. So this looks like a project for the July 4th holiday.

That PowerColor LCS is one hell of a card.

edited June 2014

@Thrax said:
    That PowerColor LCS is one hell of a card.

Even if the VisionTek CryoVenom 900697 Radeon R9 290X 4GB 512-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 Limited Edition Video Card were matched in price, it doesn't match in specs. I don't understand the logic of this.

But you're right, indeed.

edited July 2014

Well I've been tinkering here and there and whenever I get time throughout the week, and here is where I am so far. I feel like I have headroom for 5ghz. F@h is full load, 16gb mem is breezing away at xmp-2666 cas 11, and fan and pump are at half throttle. When I woke up this morning it was so silent I thought it had shut itself off.

This motherboard is such a compliment to this new chip, the features and tweaking options are overwhelming yet, overclocking is so simple. I achieved this in three simple steps.

Just amazes me.

Sonorous