Expo 2014: Shaving Workshop

GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
edited May 2014 in Events

The long-awaited shaving workshop will take place at Expo 2014.

This event will most likely take place in the morning. Don't sign up unless you can wake up before noon!

I plan to cover all the basics of a classic shave: prep, building a lather, shave patterns, and post-shave.

Rather than try to coordinate all the attendee needs, I will make a few guidelines:

You'll need to bring your own razor, preferably a DE safety razor, and brush. I'd also recommend bringing a styptic pencil for the inevitable nicks. Here's an amazon list with some recommended products.

For those flying in without a checked bag, you can bring just your razor, without blades. I'll bring enough spare DE blades for the workshop. I'll also be bringing a few options in soaps and shaving cream to demonstrate and share.

Remember, this is a workshop, so you will be shaving! You're welcome to shave whatever part of your body you'd like but keep in mind Expo is an all ages event so please, think of the children!

UPSLynx

Comments

• midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian

You can bring blades if you put them in a checked bag.

GHoosdum
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian

Good point. I'll clarify above.

• midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian

Also it should probably be noted that if you're shaving your legs with a DE, you'll likely go through a few blades.

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

I can mail some blade samplers from my stash for people to use. I'm pretty sure that I have tons of Astra (the middle between Derby and Feather) that I would happily give away because my thick beard doesn't like them. I may also have Derby with the same give away, but you'll pry my Feather's from my cold, cleanly shaved hands.

GHoosdum
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian

@GHoosdum How's 11am Saturday before Duct Tape Challenge sound? Get everyone pretty for their group photo.

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited May 2014

@Linc said:
    GHoosdum How's 11am Saturday before Duct Tape Challenge sound? Get everyone pretty for their group photo.

If things go well ... otherwise:

BuddyJardichoke

Does that time overlap the bike tour? What time do you have the DTEC set?

• LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian

DTEC is noon as always. Bike tour is Friday. No overlap at all. I've engineered away most overlap this year.

mertesnGHoosdum
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian

Will you be covering leg shaving? :p

Annesmidga
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian

I still don't have my razor... I picked it up last lan and promptly set it down after using it once... it's been two years. :-(

I may just buy one...

• CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian

I have this razor and I love it.

@Linc that time slot works for me.

• SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian

Interested.

@GnomeQueen said:
    Will you be covering leg shaving? :p

I won't be 'covering' it in the sense that I've never shaved my legs, however, most of the concepts are portable.

• GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian

@GHoosdum said:

I can leave my legs unshaven just for your demonstration, Ghoos. That's how much I care. :p

(Paging @primesuspect to the thread so he can "blehhh")

HumerusMegmidga
  • brightbright Icrontian
    edited May 2014

At what angle did the pigeons fly to get cleanly cut down the middle?

• mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian

It was more an attempt at landing.

• RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian

Where are their intestines?

Scavenger birds ate them.

I have a supply of Feathers and a few Derbys I'd be willing to bring if anyone wants to try a different blade.

GHoosdum

Does that mean you're 'in'? So far I haven't seen anyone actually post their intent to participate.

edited May 2014

I'm in. I DE shave already, but I'm sure I have things to learn. I've also got a sampler pack of blades (5 different brands, at least 10 of each) I'll bring along for people to try.

Oh, yeah. In.

• SignalSignal Icrontian

In.

All joking about bleeding aside, since only a few have announced 'in' - would you guys be interested in holding the shaving workshop a little earlier in order to avoid overlap with the First Aid Workshop, so interested parties can attend both?

midga

@GHoosdum said:
    All joking about bleeding aside, since only a few have announced 'in' - would you guys be interested in holding the shaving workshop a little earlier in order to avoid overlap with the First Aid Workshop, so interested parties can attend both?

Sure.

GHoosdum
  • SignalSignal Icrontian
    edited June 2014

Yes.

Also, if you haven't already ordered a kit, get on that.

GHoosdum

Little earlier is ok with me.

GHoosdum
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian

Kit ordered and earlier is fine.

GHoosdum