Epic 2014 boardgaming

CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄ƷDer Millionendorf- Icrontian
edited May 2014 in Events

Boardgaming keeps getting bigger and bigger every year of Epic, what started out as just a few people playing Catan and Carcassonne between rounds of HLDM2 has turned into one of the major draws of Expo Icrontic, and I get the privilege of once again being your host and guide to boardgaming for your favorite five days out of the year.

Here's what's happening this year:

Boardgames Room:

As has become standard, there will be a room dedicated to boardgaming during the event. This year it will likely be the carriage house, and will possibly have more table set up this year than last with overflow room in the loft. I'll be set up out there with a crate full of games curated for your enjoyment from my personal collection. Games are chosen for the event with teachability and brevity in mind as the chief considerations. Throughout the event, attendees can come out to the boardgames room and join in a game. I'll also send out noticed periodically on GroupMe (which you can sign up for at the event) to let everyone know when there are open tables or games beginning soon. I will be on hand to teach and referee the games, so that they go smoothly and work for everyone, novice and old-hand alike. The boardgames room will be open from 10am to 2am for almost the entire event with the exception of some meal times and a few special events, most of which are listed below. I wont be attending any of the off-site events. I'll be remaining behind to run boardgames.

Remember that boardgames room general play is intended for everyone and almost every game played will have at least one person in it who has never played the game before, and requires explanation. Also note that I am the referee for all games, and all rules disputes rest on my word. There will be no rules arguments at my tables. :)

New Boardgames Night:

New Boardgames Night is a new event this year, which focuses on introducing players to games they've never played before. On Wednesday night at 8pm I'll have multiple tables set up with some of my less well-known games, and I'll be specifically encouraging attendees to join in on games which they've never played before. You don't have to be new to boardgames, but I want you to be new to that boardgame, so that everyone at the table is at at equal noob status. I'm not sure exactly which games will be featured yet, but I'll post a list and allow sign up soon.

I wont be able to run this event by myself however. I can monitor and refree multiple tables simultaneously, but this will likely end up being too many for me, so I'm asking for some volunteers: some boardgames dab-hands who are willing to teach and referee a table of novices. I'll try to pair you each up with games that you already know well. If you are interested in volunteering for this event, let me know via PM.

Giant Catan:

My Giant Catan board will make a return this year. Last year it got little play, due to the weather, so hopefully this year will be cool and sunny for us. The game will be on hand for anyone who wants to get together a group and play in the courtyard. Just come let me know, and I'll get the box for you (please don't play without letting me know, it's a very expensive set, and I want to make sure I keep tabs on it).

You'll also notice on the schedule that there are two official times set aside for Giant Cataning. Weather permitting, these will be many-player team games with additional prizes for the winners. The first session will be immediately after the opening ceremony on Thursday afternoon (during the magic tourney). The second will be around noon on Friday (during the bike tour). These may get shuffled around if it's likely to rain.

Dragon Line Tourney:

Dragon Line is a quick two-player tactical card game, which I happen to have a bunch of sets of. :) Starting at 3pm on Friday, I'll be teaching Dragon Line to participants, and then facing them off against one another tournament style (probably round-robin). It wont take long, since each hand is only about 20 min. Winners will get tickets, of course, but the first place winner of the tourney will also get a copy of Dragon Line for their very own. You can learn more about Dragon Line here.

Feel free to 'in' yourselves for various events here. There will also be time to sign up at the event, or even just show up and join in when the event rolls around.

See you at the tables. :D

LincZanthianmertesnmaliaQCHGnomeQueensharkydartBandrikRyanFodder

Comments

• SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian

In for things!

• BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian

All my loves, feels, and 8==D.

• drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian

As always, in!

• SazbeanSazbean Paladins. Lawful good & violent about it. Chelsea, MI Icrontian

In + 1 :)

primesuspect
  • DeathJesterDeathJester Lone Wolf Oklahoma Icrontian

Giant Catan sounds awesome!

• GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian

I'm planning to bring Machine of Death and Pint Craft, so I can add those to the official set if desired. Those would be great for new boardgames night (assuming I arrive in time), since hardly anybody has played them.

• MikQuattroMikQuattro Icrontian

Anyone play Munchkin, and will that be available?

• SignalSignal Icrontian

I can bring Munchkin. I have the original and Firefly (the Good, the Bad, and the Munchkin mixed with Star Munchkin).

• MikQuattroMikQuattro Icrontian

@Signal said:
    I can bring Munchkin. I have the original and Firefly (the Good, the Bad, and the Munchkin mixed with Star Munchkin).

Cool! I've heard a lot about it from a friend and would like to give it a go...:)

• QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian

Munchkin is fun.

• lersheelershee Keeper of J Sterling Heights, MI Icrontian

I am SO in for the new board gaming night! Woo!