Expo 2014 Homebrew Thread

mertesnmertesn I am Bobby MillerYukon, OK Icrontian
edited June 2014 in Events

Once again, I'll be bringing some of the ...things... I've worked on over the last year. This time I'm bringing them in the form of kegs. This will prevent @lincoln from having to deal with another crapton of bottles that can't be redeemed for cash and because I don't have the time to bottle everything.

I'm sure you're thinking "that's cool and all, but how is the beer gonna get coldified?" Simple. I've built a jockey box with two taps (should expand to three in the next week or so). It just gets filled with ice. Room temperature beer goes in, cold beer comes out. I've done some testing and approximately 70 lbs of ice will fill the cooler and hold temperatures nicely for a week - plenty of time for Expo and much less ice than was required last year.

If any of the other homebrewers wish to bring their wares in keg form, I have a single line set up for ball lock posts and one (soon two) for pin lock posts. All I ask of the brewers is that the pin lock sides be used only for the gluten free things.

Now on to the more fun part...what's in (attached to) the box?

Brew #1: Dark Cider. Brewed sometime in 2013. ~14% ABV. Attendees at ICNY got a taste of this one and it was met with enthusiastic approval. Apple cider, dark brown sugar, and Belgian Candi Syrup.

Brew #2: Light (heh) Cider. Kegged today. WTF% ABV...I forgot to take readings at the start, but it's a lot. Not counting the cider base, the added fermentables and yeast (a Belgian Strong Ale strain) put it at 10.5%. It's much higher once the base apple cider is factored in. Apple cider and orange blossom honey. 10 gallon batch in two kegs - one is the cider with nothing added while the other has a hint of orange thanks to some sweet orange peel.

Be. Very. Careful.

Brew #3 (experiment #1): I'm breaking with tradition here and bringing something the whole family can enjoy - ginger ale! 0% ABV. Made with ginger (duh) and turbinado sugar. Should have a pretty heavy ginger bite to it.

Brew #4 is the first beer and only brew making its return to Expo: Honey Ginger Saison. 10.5% ABV, being kegged today. This batch uses fresh ginger and locally sourced honey. It's also a bit stronger than the previous batch. I have sampled this one at every step of the process and have not been disappointed.

Brew #5, and the final one for Expo is a Ginger Beer. What's the difference between this and the ginger ale? About 5.5% ABV. Ginger, brown sugar, yeast, and water. Om nom nom.

More to come... I'll update as they become ready.

SignalGargAnnesGHoosdumRydermidgaWagsFTWUPSLynxGnomeQueengeorgehDogDragonBandriktrooster89LincBuddyJLeahVoiceMassalinie

Comments

• GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian

I don't even have the words for the awesomeness you leave in your wake.

mertesnGnomeQueenRyanFodder
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian

I am excite.

• PinkInDetroitPinkInDetroit Brian's (actual) Waifu Detroit, MI Icrontian

Cider? NOM

• AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian

Whoo... 14% ABV Cider, we're in table wine territory there, my friend. Awesome.

• Mmmm, cider.

• mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian

@AlexDeGruven said:
    Whoo... 14% ABV Cider, we're in table wine territory there, my friend. Awesome.

Yeah, I've so far been unable to get a "tame" cider. It'd probably help if I checked the gravity before adding ingredients.

Nah, keep up the good work :)

GnomeQueen
  • I think you can do better. I want to see a 28% that tastes like an 8%.

mertesnGnomeQueenUPSLynx
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

Jimmeh want get d-luck quk

• RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian

Ciders are dangerous. flashback to any ICRENN

I APPROVE.

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

I have inspected the goods.

• HumerusMegHumerusMeg Something, something medical professional, Fitness bitch, Sexy chef Austin Icrontian

Taste tested, and approved. You dudes and dudettes are in for some serious taste boners.

mertesn

Brew #2: Light (heh) Cider. Kegged today. WTF% ABV...I forgot to take readings at the start, but it's a lot. Not counting the cider base, the added fermentables and yeast (a Belgian Strong Ale strain) put it at 10.5%. It's much higher once the cider is factored in. Apple cider, orange blossom honey, ginger, and a bit of Stevia (non-fermentable sugar alcohol) to balance out the flavors.

Be. Very. Careful.

HumerusMeg

It had to happen sometime, and tonight was that night. Brew #3 was a ginger beer. I say was because the carboy shattered as I was moving it into position for kegging. You never realize just how much liquid five gallons is until it spreads throughout your kitchen, dining room, and pantry.

A million thanks to @petesmom for helping with the cleanup!

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

I cannot "unawesomesauce" this post :(

edited May 2014

@primesuspect said:
    I cannot "unawesomesauce" this post :(

I had to unawesomesauce the floor last night :D

CBprimesuspectGHoosdum
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian

@mertesn said:
    It had to happen sometime, and tonight was that night. Brew #3 was a ginger beer. I say was because the carboy shattered as I was moving it into position for kegging. You never realize just how much liquid five gallons is until it spreads throughout your kitchen, dining room, and pantry.

A million thanks to petesmom for helping with the cleanup!

You should have just gotten a straw.

mertesn

Didn't have any straws :(

edited June 2014

Brew #3 and the first of this year's three experimental batches: I'm breaking with tradition here and bringing something the whole family can enjoy - ginger ale! 0% ABV. Made with ginger (duh) and turbinado sugar. Should have a pretty heavy ginger bite to it.

LeahVoice

@mertesn said:
    Brew #3 and the first of this year's three experimental batches: I'm breaking with tradition here and bringing something the whole family can enjoy - ginger ale! 0% ABV. Made with ginger (duh) and turbinado sugar. Should have a pretty heavy ginger bite to it.

I'm gonna put gin in that. :D

Oh yeah, and I'm installing two more lines - either in the current chiller or in one of the two I've left at ICHQ. If there's interest, I can do a brief demo on how to build one.

• SignalSignal Icrontian

I'd be interested in that demo.

mertesn

So is there going to be any beer in this year's crop?

@AlexDeGruven said:
    So is there going to be any beer in this year's crop?

Patience, grasshopper.

paging @AlexDeGruven‌...

Brew #4 is the first beer and only brew making its return to Expo: Honey Ginger Saison. 10.5% ABV, being kegged today. This batch uses fresh ginger and locally sourced honey. It's also a bit stronger than the previous batch. I have sampled this one at every step of the process and have not been disappointed.

• LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited June 2014

@GnomeQueen said:
    I'm gonna put gin in that. :D

Not Wed-Sat you're not :pirate: .

mertesn
    edited June 2014

@Linc said:
    Not Wed-Sat you're not :pirate: .

Who says I'm doing it at the house? I know other places to hang in the D. And I get in Tuesday. :p

@GnomeQueen said:
    Who says I'm doing it at the house? I know other places to hang in the D. And I get in Tuesday. :p

It'll be gone by Monday.

@mertesn said:
    It'll be gone by Monday.

I got peeps. They gonna hook me up.