Expo 2014 - pre-expo Motorburger trip - South to Canada!

CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄ƷDer Millionendorf- Icrontian
edited June 2014 in Events
This discussion was created from comments split from: Expo 2014 Events.

The 'in' list:
- @mertesn (driver)
- @DeathJester
- @malia
- @Snarkasm
- @CannonFodder‌
- @primesuspect‌ (driver)
mertesn

Comments

• mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian

@CrazyJoe said:
    Motor Burger.

Looked up directions from ICHQ...they were a bit disorienting.

...Come to Detroit - we're actually north of Canada.

LeahVoice
  • SignalSignal Icrontian

The food tours won't be taking us to Canada will they? I don't think there's time to get a passport.

@Signal said:
    The food tours won't be taking us to Canada will they? I don't think there's time to get a passport.

No. @DeathJester and I are planning to take a day trip before things get started. There's room in my car for two more (three if skinny person) if anyone wants to join. It'll probably be on Tuesday. Must have passport.

• LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian

@Signal said:

The food tours typically won't be taking us from ICHQ at all. The logistics of moving 50 people can take half the evening so we get things delivered / catered usually Thu-Sat.

SignalAnnes
  • maliamalia Sconnie Nation Icrontian

@mertesn said:
    No. DeathJester and I are planning to take a day trip before things get started. There's room in my car for two more (three if skinny person) if anyone wants to join. It'll probably be on Tuesday. Must have passport.

When on Tuesday......I am skinny, and have passport!

mertesn

Sometime after waking up? Outside of Motor Burger there isn't much of a plan...first trip north (south wtf) of the border.

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

Yep. "South Detroit" = Windsor.

oni_dels
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian

Damn, if this was a Wednesday evening trip, I'd definitely be up for Motor Burger.

edited June 2014

So do they take US cashbucks or do we need to get some CDN funnydollars? (Guess who has never left the country)

oni_dels
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian

I used my credit card there without any issues. Not sure what you'd have to do if you plan on using cash.

mertesn
  • SignalSignal Icrontian

Be sure to check with your bank to see if they charge fees for using your debit/credit card abroad.

I just use my debit card. No additional fees. Exchange rates are pretty on-par.

A lot of Windsor businesses take US dollars, but I'm not sure about Motorburger.

• SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian

In for Motor Burger. Nom nom nom.

mertesn
  • IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian

The train station has a currency exchange, and any banks in the area will do it.

• maliamalia Sconnie Nation Icrontian

@mertesn said:
    Sometime after waking up? Outside of Motor Burger there isn't much of a plan...first trip north (south wtf) of the border.

Officially requesting "in" then, please!

edited June 2014

@malia said:
    Officially requesting "in" then, please!

Ok, so far it's:

• RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian

I'll prolly be joining you as well. I think they'll let me back in by now.

mertesn
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian

What did you do Ray?

GnomeQueen
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

Just use a credit card or pull cash from an ATM if you have a bank card with a major US institution (seriously, just use credit at the restaurant). Don't bother with any sort of currency exchange. Bring US paper money for the bridge toll in both directions.

Source: did lots of cross-border banking and buying for three years.

mertesn

@CannonFodder said:
    I'll prolly be joining you as well. I think they'll let me back in by now.

Got it. My car is now full.

@Thrax said:
    Just use a credit card or pull cash from an ATM if you have a bank card with a major US institution (seriously, just use credit at the restaurant). Don't bother with any sort of currency exchange. Bring US paper money for the bridge toll in both directions.

Source: did lots of cross-border banking and buying for three years.

Thanks!

Next question: cell phone service. I'm on AT&T...any idea whether they'll charge $1000 for using GPS south of the border?

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

I don't know and imagine they'll try to screw you, but this is where you should be looking

http://www.att.com/att/global/

mertesn
    edited June 2014

There tends to be two sources of information: what the company says and what actually happens. The two (especially with AT&T) don't always line up.

Thanks for the link though. Good starting point.

Before T-Mo instituted free international roaming, I'd just shut my phone off for the couple of hours I was there. NBD.

@primesuspect said:
    Before T-Mo instituted free international roaming, I'd just shut my phone off for the couple of hours I was there. NBD.

Yes but you have the ability to know where you're going even if you've never been there. I have a terrible sense of direction. I'm still coping with the fact that I have to go south to cross into Canada.

• SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian

Google maps while you're still in the US, and cache the map offline. Works perfectly for the map alone; don't know if navigation works, but we can do manual map-reading like travelers of yore if needed.

mertesn

@Snarkasm said:
    Google maps while you're still in the US, and cache the map offline. Works perfectly for the map alone; don't know if navigation works, but we can do manual map-reading like travelers of yore if needed.

Sounds like something I could test before leaving.

@mertesn said:
    Yes but you have the ability to know where you're going even if you've never been there. I have a terrible sense of direction. I'm still coping with the fact that I have to go south to cross into Canada.

To get to Motorburger, it's like two turns. You could write the directions on a post-it note. You can also follow me because I'm going too :D

mertesn

@primesuspect said:
    To get to Motorburger, it's like two turns. You could write the directions on a post-it note. You can also follow me because I'm going too :D

Ah this is helpful...and the first time you've mentioned it :D

• PinkInDetroitPinkInDetroit Brian's (actual) Waifu Detroit, MI Icrontian

I'm going to guess evonne and I will be IN as well. we're going to get so much shit at the border (coming back)