Thrax vs gamerwurks

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

Shots fired

• AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian

I read through the Forbes article linked in the story.

Never let it be said that @Thrax pulls punches when the chips are down.

• PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian
    edited June 2014

Mantle is sugar, flour, oil, and eggs.
    DirectX is sort of like a store bought cake mix.
    Gameworks is that shiny frosting that nobody likes, but it makes the cake look better.
    Developers are bakers.

To me there is one big question. Does the baker choose:
    1. the store bought cake that works OK for everyone even though it isn't great in any way
    OR
    2. the cake with extra icing that looks pretty but some people think it tastes bad
    OR
    3. the cake that is made with high quality core ingredients but those with allergies can't eat?

My super duper in depth industry analysis tells me that bakers will mostly keep using cake mix after a brief experiment with icing and raw ingredients, especially as directx responds to mantle with more and more low level apis.

• SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian

Can we just get back to the raw speed wars of years past already?

The industry has never been about raw speed wars from silicon. Software makes or breaks the silicon.

• NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian

hey mabe you should make beter drivers my ati card driv is terrible its nvidia is better plus my gpu has ddram5 and plays badlefield4 on ultra quality gtx750 at 1080p

_k
  • SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian

@Thrax said:
    The industry has never been about raw speed wars from silicon. Software makes or breaks the silicon.

Oh okay.

@NiGHTS said:
    hey mabe you should make beter drivers my ati card driv is terrible its nvidia is better plus my gpu has ddram5 and plays badlefield4 on ultra quality gtx750 at 1080p

Oh okay.

_kcsimon
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited June 2014

@Thrax said:
    Oh okay.

Oh Okay.

• mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian

@PirateNinja said:
    Mantle is sugar, flour, oil, and eggs.
    DirectX is sort of like a store bought cake mix.
    Gameworks is that shiny frosting that nobody likes, but it makes the cake look better.
    Developers are bakers.

To me there is one big question. Does the baker choose:
    1. the store bought cake that works OK for everyone even though it isn't great in any way
    OR
    2. the cake with extra icing that looks pretty but some people think it tastes bad
    OR
    3. the cake that is made with high quality core ingredients but those with allergies can't eat?

My super duper in depth industry analysis tells me that bakers will mostly keep using cake mix after a brief experiment with icing and raw ingredients, especially as directx responds to mantle with more and more low level apis.

There's a flaw in your analogy - In choice 3 the baker has the option to use ingredients that do not trigger allergic reactions, thereby making said cake safe for more people to eat. Same for Mantle; are you allergic to AMD GPUs? Fine, just replace it with your preferred vendor (assuming they aren't assholes are willing to provide drivers)

Also I don't know of a professional baker that uses a mix.

• @mertesn said:
    Also I don't know of a professional baker that uses a mix.

(I know my analogy was meh)

mertesn