The "What are you reading" thread.

Creeperbane2Creeperbane2 Victorian ScoundrelIndianapolis, IN Icrontian

I noticed we don't have a book thread so I made one, a place for current reads, recommendations, reviews, what have ye.
My current reads;
The Art of War by Sun Tzu and Essays in Jaksonian Political Economy

Comments

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

I'm finishing up the second book of a series call "A Better World" by Marcus Sakey. Would recommend :)
    Book 1
    Book 2

$5 each on for Kindle purchase, which is available on Android or iOS as well.

• CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian

I'm on book 12 of the Wheel of Time series, and I'm almost done with The Diamond Age by Neil Stephenson.

• MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian

@CB said:
    I'm on book 12 of the Wheel of Time series, and I'm almost done with The Diamond Age by Neil Stephenson.

I'll be curious to hear how you react to WoT's ending. Having finished the series once I'm tempted to start again.

• Creeperbane2Creeperbane2 Victorian Scoundrel Indianapolis, IN Icrontian

Annndddd caught out in the rain, Art of War soaked, anyone know a good way to dry a book?

• CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian

I found my copies of the Star Trek "Shatnerverse" Mirror Universe Trilogy and am working my way though those again.

• ardichokeardichoke Icrontian

I coulda sworn we had a few book threads....

Nevertheless, currently reading Wizard and Glass (The Dark Tower book 4)

Recently read The Hypnotist by Lars Kepler. It was good, not Girl With the Dragon Tattoo good, but good.

• Creeperbane2Creeperbane2 Victorian Scoundrel Indianapolis, IN Icrontian

(If so is sorry, to lazy to dig past page 3)

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

@Creeperbane2 said:
    Annndddd caught out in the rain, Art of War soaked, anyone know a good way to dry a book?

Excellent way right here, used it many times before.

You can also get that as an ebook if it is more convenient/helps at Project Gutenberg

• lulufitzgeraldlulufitzgerald Milford, Ohio Icrontian

I am rereading all of the Harry Potter books. I am currently reading The Goblet of Fire. I am also reading Hands Free Mama, which has been helpful in learning to refocus my time and energy to my kids and family instead of other distractions.

• CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian

I finished The Diamon Age. It was excellent, but beyond that, I'm still processing. It's a lot to unfold.

@lulufitzgerald said:
    I am rereading all of the Harry Potter books. I am currently reading The Goblet of Fire.

@BetsyD‌ just started on Harry Potter for the first time. :D

lulufitzgerald
  • The-GentlemanThe-Gentleman warren Member

Crime and Punishment for AP Literature. Gotta love it!

• MyrmidonMyrmidon Baron von Puttenham California Icrontian

@The-Gentleman said:
    Crime and Punishment for AP Literature. Gotta love it!

You really, really don't. Dry as a bone.

• trooster89trooster89 Are you from London? Icrontian

@Myrmidon said:
    You really, really don't. Dry as a bone.

There's always the version with zombies.

• GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian

I just finished Orange is the New Black, and now I'm starting on Robin Hobb's Ship of Magic. I'm also listening to Bossypants by Tina Fey while on long drives. It is amaaaaazing.

• trooster89trooster89 Are you from London? Icrontian

I've been binge reading the Dresden File books by Jim Butcher . I just stared the comic series Saga, which is absolutely fantastic.

• BlueTattooBlueTattoo Boatbuilder Houston, TX Icrontian

Just finished re-reading In the Wet by Nevil Shute after about 20 years. It is better than I remembered. Also, currently reading The Burglary: The Discovery of J. Edgar Hoover’s Secret FBI. It’s an amazing story, but I’m bogged down about half way through - too much detail. I’ll probably pick it up again soon.

Best book in the last year: Stephen King’s 11/22/63

@GnomeQueen, I also listened to Bossypants a while back and loved it. I like her a lot from her SNL days but can’t watch 30 Rock.

GnomeQueen
  • GuppyGuppy Warren, MI Icrontian

I'm finally getting around to reading the My Little Pony books from G.M. Berrow. I finished the first one, Twilight Sparkle and the Crystal Heart Spell. It's basically mediocre fan fiction with out of place horse puns. I hope the rest are better, but I'm not holding my breath.

• ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited July 2014

Went on vacation last week. Finished Wizard and Glass. Seriously guys, if you like fantasy epics and/or westerns, read the Dark Tower series. So good. Now moved on The Nightmare (sequel to The Hypnotist). Will head back to the land of Roland Deschain for Wolves of the Calla before long though....

Also: https://www.goodreads.com/ardichoke

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

I am, frankly, shocked at how well-written Christie Golden's World of Warcraft books are. I started reading WoW books for the lore, fully expecting mediocre writing fit for pulp churned-out licensed books, but I was willing to deal with juvenile writing for the sake of learning more about WoW lore and the personalities involved.

I started with Richard Knaak's War of the Ancients trilogy, a 1000+ page tome that pretty much hit the bar for my expectations: Not very well-written, etc. It did scratch my lore itch, though, so I started looking into others.

I found Christie Golden's "Rise of the Horde", and was taken aback at the writing. Deep character development, and she wove believable characters that you become attached to even within the constraints of a video game fantasy world. Surprisingly mature. This book explains the beginnings of the Horde as well as the various clans and factions of the orcs.

Next, I tackled "Tides of War", and wow. It's been a long time since a book made me tear up, but this one was really remarkable, again considering that these are fantasy novels set in a predetermined videogame universe. This book is about Jaina Proudmoore, the bombing of Theramore, and her rise to leadership of the Kirin Tor.

Now I'm reading The Shattering, about the beginning of the Cataclysm, and after this will probably read Thrall and then War Crimes about Garrosh Hellscream's downfall.

She's probably too good of an author for WoW lore books, but whatever. I'm enjoying them immensely.

• KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian

@Creeperbane2 said:
    I noticed we don't have a book thread so I made one, a place for current reads, recommendations, reviews, what have ye.

We don't?
    http://icrontic.com/discussion/65768