Mineblock: A dad's answer to Internet griefing

LincLinc OwnerDetroit Icrontian

http://killscreendaily.com/articles/mineblock/

Physical object as private Minecraft server for kids. Brilliant idea.

midga

Comments

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

I do like the "appliance" idea for the non-techie parents, but they should morph it slightly to be chromecast-like for wireless (connect to the on-board wireless once for setup of your existing wireless). It should not be it's own wireless network, since that then breaks all of your existing internet connection stuff. The connections could be limited to LAN only or something.

• LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian

@Tushon Wouldn't it just pass thru a normal Internet connection too?

• midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian

You could probably limit it to only accept connections from the local subdomain.

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

@‌Linc it could, but I'm just basing it off what they stated

You simply plug it in and Mineblock creates its own wi-fi network. Parents simple connect to it and add it as a server for up to eight different players to enjoy.

• BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    edited August 2014

Your points are valid @BobbyDigi, but you forget one thing about most parents...

Doesn't matter what the Mineblock does. All he has to do is convince it'll keep their little Janes and Johnnies safe from the nasty cyberbullies and you have a blockbuster in the making.

Pun intended.

midga
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian

dat watermark

• AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian

It's very likely that he opened the 25565 port on his router so his kid's friends could play with them, which also opens it to the world.

• BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian

@midga said:
    dat watermark

Yeppers!

• BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited August 2014

@AlexDeGruven said:
    It's very likely that he opened the 25565 port on his router so his kid's friends could play with them, which also opens it to the world.

I find it unlikely the guy was technically inclined enough to setup a server (and further, develope a rasbery server box) but not utilize the built in whitelist. Granted this all started over a year ago when before some of the ease and security was built in, but the article describes him continuing down the path even though they exist now.

Unfortunately to me, it looks like he is simply a father who was not paying enough attention to his son's interactions on the Internet and now is either overcompensating trying to make it up to his son or worse, trying to make a Buck off of others who don't pay attention to their kid's activities...

[spoiler]but that's none of my business
    Imgur[/spoiler]
    -Digi

GnomeQueen_kmidga
  • I think it's a neat idea that has potential to sell well. Not all parents are terrified of technology, they just CBA to learn it / apply it and would rather just have a nice plug and play system so their multiple kids can connect to a single world from their own computers without having to leave them on. That said, I do agree with digi-logicTM, but I won't deny there is a market for this. If I had 2+ kids in to minecraft, I'd maybe consider it.

• AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian

I just run my server in a VM on my desktop downstairs. #1 and I can play in the living room together just fine. No open ports needed, no private networks needed.

• As for the wifi connectivity gripes, I find it hard to believe that it won't have the option to plug it into your network. Then it would just act like a WiFi hot spot in addition to a Minecraft server. Bingo, you have your Minecraft appliance and you don't lose Internet connectivity. It would also make sense to do this so that the appliance could update the server. Don't know if it's actually doing that, but it would make the most sense.

• SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian

Am I the only one who has a hard time believing that a raspberry pi can support 8 players?

midga