Microsoft Minecraft

drasnordrasnor Starship OperatorHawthorne, CA Icrontian

Microsoft is buying Mojang for $2e9 it appears. I guess 2014 is a good year to sell out.

http://online.wsj.com/articles/microsoft-near-deal-to-buy-minecraft-1410300213

Comments

• Holy god that is overvalued for a non-accelerating brand. I'd sell for 2 billion in a heartbeat.

• Creeperbane2Creeperbane2 Victorian Scoundrel Indianapolis, IN Icrontian
    edited September 2014

If they are successfull (Notch might have a brain yet!) This is my response summarized:

• UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian

TWO.
    BILLION.
    DOLLARS.

WHAT.

GnomeQueen
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian

At that price, they have plans for the Minecraft name. We'll see more toys and likely a sequel with improved graphics / deproved gameplay

@CB said:
    At that price, they have plans for the Minecraft name. We'll see more toys and likely a sequel with improved graphics / deproved gameplay

You do not "improve" the graphics and gameplay. Notch already perfected thos. Mark my words RIP Minecraft.

• mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian

@Creeperbane2 said:
    You do not "improve" the graphics and gameplay. Notch already perfected thos. Mark my words RIP Minecraft.

Whatever.

CanticolaGnomeQueen
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian

Shit graphics may be part of the charm of minecraft for many of us, but for many others it was a reason not to buy. If Microsoft wants to sell Minecraft to the Halo and Madden players, then need to spiffy it up a bit. Minecraft 2, with HD graphics would be a best-seller.

RyanFodder
  • @CB said:
    Shit graphics may be part of the charm of minecraft for many of us, but for many others it was a reason not to buy. If Microsoft wants to sell Minecraft to the Halo and Madden players, then need to spiffy it up a bit. Minecraft 2, with HD graphics would be a best-seller.

Agreed on both points. The simple graphics are the reason a lot of people bought the game: nostalgia of retro gaming days/ability to run on older hardware. However, I think it did suffer from "judging a book by it's cover." I think many people simply didn't try it based on this factor.

• d3k0yd3k0y Loveland, OH Icrontian

Personally as much as I like Minecraft, at that valuation sell the company, and make a new one and make the next game. I have a feeling the staff at Mojang is probably more loyal to Notch than they are to the company. They will abandon ship and join back up with Notch as their contracts expire.

I like MC the way it is now, I have no problem just never updating the game ever again and just modding the crap out of it.

Now we know what Phase 2 is:

Phase 1: Steal underpants.
    Phase 2: Sell Minecraft to Microsoft
    Phase 3: Profit

BobbyDigiErrorNullTurnipGnomeQueen
  • Phase 4: Minecraft gets rewritten in C#, using DirectX, becomes Windows and XBONE exclusive, guns are added, building is removed, all enemies are replaced with a new type called The Deluge and your character has a helmet that can't be removed or reskinned. Renamed Minecorona. Brodudes buy it up en masse.

mertesn
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited September 2014

I'd have gone with Annulicraft.

• midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian

BasilcolaPirateNinja
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited September 2014

I'll just refer you to my previous comment with the vast ammounts of no on this one, now that it's final and all, and add one thing to it.

• BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian

There are 9 year olds that are taking this better than you

-Digi

Canti
  • colacola part legend, part devil... all man Balls deep Icrontian

@Creeperbane2 said:
    I'll just refer you to my previous comment with the vast ammounts of no on this one, now that it's final and all, and add one thing to it.

TushonRahnalH102
    edited September 2014

@Creeperbane2 said:

I heard Microsoft is going to add microtransactions and Obamacare.

MiracleManSMt_Goat
    edited September 2014

Let me explain the logic here, Mojang could do whatever they want, they had no shareholders barking at them. Microsoft DOES have shareholders, and as we know, when it comes to gaming shareholders are money obcessed IDIOTS. Allow me to illustrate;
    Gamer logic; "YouTube, that's free advertizing!"
    Shareholder logic; "YouTube is stealing our profits we need more money more!!!!"
    Gamer logic; "Take as long as you want as long as the game is good."
    Shareholder logic; "Push it out push it push it, who cares if it's half done."
    Gamer logic; "Mods extend the life of a game."
    Shareholder logic; "Mods? Oh, you must mean DLC's? WHAT! YOU WANT TO MAKE CONTENT YOURSELF?!!? That's piracy!"
    See what I mean.

• KarmaKarma Likes yoga Icrontian

@Creeperbane2 said:
    Let me explain the logic here, Mojang could do whatever they want, they had no shareholders barking at them. Microsoft DOES have shareholders, and as we know, when it comes to gaming shareholders are money obcessed IDIOTS. Allow me to illustrate;
    Gamer logic; "YouTube, that's free advertizing!"
    Shareholder logic; "YouTube is stealing our profits we need more money more!!!!"
    Gamer logic; "Take as long as you want as long as the game is good."
    Shareholder logic; "Push it out push it push it, who cares if it's half done."
    Gamer logic; "Mods extend the life of a game."
    Shareholder logic; "Mods? Oh, you must mean DLC's? WHAT! YOU WANT TO MAKE CONTENT YOURSELF?!!? That's piracy!"
    See what I mean.

All shareholders of every company is obsessed with money. That's why they are shareholders they expect to make money off that company. Gaming companies are no different. It is dumb to expect otherwise. We as love gaming and we want the best possible experience, however that's not the goal of the company.

They will push out games faster because until then they have this HUGE amount capital tied up in these projects and they are just trying to recover that. Same thing with DLC people still have to make that shit, companies have to pay people to make that shit of course they want compensation.

I know I know. Valve does. Valve is also a private company, for now. They don't have an obligation to shareholders. We have built these companies up to huge sizes that are able to go public, which lets be honest every company wants to do.

I am sorry if this is a bet ranty, but one of my biggest pet peeves of gamers is all this woe-is me big gaming companies are evil shit.

I dunno who Tim is or if I should feel insulted.

edited September 2014

@Karma said:
    I dunno who Tim is or if I should feel insulted.

Apparently your post was made before I added the comment. Wasn't directed at you. It was directed at the FUDmachine above you. Edited the post to add a quote.

oh okay.

edited September 2014

@mertesn Meh, perhaps I am too emotionally involved. I lost my love for microsoft after the XBone fallout. Please excuse my comments. I appologise. To be honest, as long as they still allow me to create large blocky empires I could care less. However, I still say if they do not give their, I guess you could say, Mojang Devision autonomy in most matters Minecraft, it will fail.